PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Ubuntu Linux User is increasing

jeffreyvergara.NET
September 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM
I noticed that Filipinos are now switching to Linux especially Ubuntu day by day probably because of Microsft Anti-Piracy act here in the Philippines. Many of the Internet cafe's here use illegal copy of Windows and so they are sued by microsoft, some of them bought the license, but not knowing the licensed Windows XP they bought is also Pirated, you cannot see the difference between the Original and the Pirated package if you don't look at it carefully.. (i've seen one.) Some suppliers of Windows XP here also sell packages that are labeled: "Not redistributable, comes with a new PC.. something like that".. that's what you called, Selling original Windows XP, illegally. So I suggested to some Internet cafe owners in our area to switch to Ubuntu Linux, especially to those Internet Cafe's that's not pure gaming cafe... I also read on some Filipino community forums that some Internet cafes are switching from windows to Linux because they cannot afford to buy the License..

newbie2
September 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM
I noticed that Filipinos are now switching to Linux especially Ubuntu day by day probably because of Microsft Anti-Piracy act here in the Philippines. Many of the Internet cafe's here use illegal copy of Windows and so they are sued by microsoft, some of them bought the license, but not knowing the licensed Windows XP they bought is also Pirated, you cannot see the difference between the Original and the Pirated package if you don't look at it carefully.. (i've seen one.) Some suppliers of Windows XP here also sell packages that are labeled: "Not redistributable, comes with a new PC.. something like that".. that's what you called, Selling original Windows XP, illegally. So I suggested to some Internet cafe owners in our area to switch to Ubuntu Linux, especially to those Internet Cafe's that's not pure gaming cafe... I also read on some Filipino community forums that some Internet cafes are switching from windows to Linux because they cannot afford to buy the License..
i sent this to NBI director -->

i saw this article -->
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/net/2005/09/18/200.net.caf.s.using.pirated.software.closes.html

sir...maybe if you made more advertizing about this free Ubuntu Linux
CD's -->

http://shipit.ubuntu.com/
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

there should be no anger to the NBI

Yours sincerely
h.

Brunellus
September 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM
This is truly remarkable.

Last time I was in the 'pinas...Easter of '03...it was laughably easy to get pirated software. True, it wasn't like the summer of 2000, when there were even guys dealing pirate CDs on the sidewalks of Makati.... but the going rate was around P100 per CD, regardless of content.

Next step is to get the government to choose Linux as its operating system.

And now that they've learned they can enforce laws already on the books, maybe they can get the BIR to force tax cheats to pay what they owe... but that's another story.

jeffreyvergara.NET
September 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM
all I can say, that all agency here in the Philippines are corrupt. And about this issue, i think it's just like the other raids before, it's only effective on the start, but it's useless on the next few weeks or months. I've seen an Internet cafe that uses illegal copies of Windows, they only closed for a day or two, when the issue about the Microsoft+nbi coming to our are is hot, after that, they removed all Games poster and replaced it Cellphone and celphone company advertisements... you'll not think that the inside is an Internet Cafe....

I also heard from some Internet Cafe owners that after NBI & Microsoft checked their place, they will resell their licensed Windows again.. hehehe... so I think NIB and Microsoft check Internet cafe's regulary....

I really want to advertise ubuntu here in our area, almost everybody I know that have their personal computers at home, use illegal/pirated version of Windows XP, what can you do.... Philippines is a poor country. You'll also be shocked if told you that our school used pirated softwares/Windows before!

Kapre
September 21st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Mga Kabayan - so that means that this (http://news.inq7.net/infotech/index.php?index=1&story_id=50844) is not true.

Also, there is already a lobby by the some government agency ( I think it was DOST) to use Open source to minimize piracy and promote the "Buhawi Linux" that they've develop (this story (http://news.inq7.net/infotech/index.php?index=1&story_id=50589)).

It is really sad but its true that even government offices (especially Local Governments) is not adhering to this directive because of the price of owning the license of M$.

K

jeffreyvergara.NET
September 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM
As what I have heard on owners who where visited by NBI, they said its not actually a RAID (its Baygon-joke) they only check if you have a licensed Window$, but if they found out that you are using illegal copies, the cafe will be suspended until they have their licensed Window$. I've saw a cafe like that, their PC's where not confiscated, their shop was just suspended.

Rule
September 21st, 2005, 09:31 PM
well in Iloilo my dad sent off 40 of my hoary cds to they should be there soon :)

xequence
September 22nd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Thats very good they are switching to linux =)

I really want to advertise ubuntu here in our area, almost everybody I know that have their personal computers at home, use illegal/pirated version of Windows XP, what can you do.... Philippines is a poor country. You'll also be shocked if told you that our school used pirated softwares/Windows before!

Most people in north america that dont have XP and know how to download XP off bittorent and burn it to a CD have pirated versions on their computers ;)

newbie2
December 3rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
As what I have heard on owners who where visited by NBI, they said its not actually a RAID (its Baygon-joke) they only check if you have a licensed Window$, but if they found out that you are using illegal copies, the cafe will be suspended until they have their licensed Window$. I've saw a cafe like that, their PC's where not confiscated, their shop was just suspended.

Sunday December 04, 2005
NBI storms 3 internet cafés

Agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) seized 286 units of desktop computers containing unauthorized reproductions of unlicensed Microsoft softwares worth R10 million during successive raids at three internet cafés in Manila, Mandaluyong, and Quezon City, the bureau reported yesterday.

Raided were Expressions Center for Learning and/or EXCEL located at the 4th Floor of SM Manila, Arroceros Street, Manila; Expressions Center for Learning or EXCEL, 2nd Floor, EDSA Central Pavilion Mall, EDSA Central, Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong City; and Expressions Center for Learning or EXCEL located at the basement of Ali Mall in Araneta Center, Cubao, Quezon City.

Investigation conducted by Intellectual Property Rights Division (IPRD) headed by lawyer Jose Justo S. Yap showed that the raids on three EXCEL internet cafés were the first operations of the NBI since the moratorium on firms engaged in unauthorized use of Microsoft softwares ended on Sept. 16.

The raids stemmed from the complaint of Microsoft Corp. represented by Quisumbing Torres.

Armed with the search warrants issued by Judge Antonio Eugenio Jr., of Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 24, the NBI raiding teams swooped down on three EXCEL branches at noon last Thursday. (Jeamma E. Sabate)
http://www.tempo.com.ph/news.php?aid=18874
:rolleyes:

vampire_janus
December 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
bsa just don't know that all this fud is only hastening the switch to linux

fishfillet
January 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM
It is really sad but its true that even government offices (especially Local Governments) is not adhering to this directive because of the price of owning the license of M$.

But then there are also some Local Government Units like in Gerona, Tarlac (www.gerona.gov.ph) which is now slowly but surely migrating its desktop PCs to Ubuntu Linux.

The mayor in said town has also been advocating the use of free open source softwares to other LGUs and even insisted that national government agencies should develop applications that would run on free Linux so that LGUs won't have to resort to using pirated you-know-what OS.