PDA

View Full Version : MS gets their own Leak

KingBahamut
September 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM
BusinessWeek calls him Microsoft's Deep Throat. Although Steve Ballmer denies reading the blog, there are plenty at Microsoft who do. Mini-Microsoft says he wants to "slim down Microsoft into a lean, mean, efficient customer pleasing profit making machine." The user comment section of the site is the real gold: thousands of comments from Microsoft employees who tend to have a dim view about the company's recent evolution. And Microsoft may even be responding to all the internal criticism.

External Links
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_39/b3952009.htm
http://minimsft.blogspot.com/
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/technology/20wire-msft.html?hp&ex=1127275200&en=441519034047e957&ei=5094&partner=homepage

First off, why do I suspect that Steve Ballmer doesnt do anything we think he does.

Secondly....my favorite quote from the blog , in comments

OK, on the Allchin thing, I don't paticularly like the guy, but I doubt his leaving has much to do with Vista.

One of my problems with him is that every OS he's tried to get out has descended into chaos from a management perspective. Windows 2000 was at least as big a mess as Vista is now. XP was basically the remainder of the 2000 feature list and it still took forever to get out.

Sure both have been technically better but that wasn't really his doing, let us not forget he also brought us the wonder that was Windows ME...

This alone scares even me......No wonder they have problems, how many times has M$ tried to reorg itself.....and its not obviously doing a very good job.

bob_c_b
September 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
No wonder they have problems, how many times has M$ tried to reorg itself.....and its not obviously doing a very good job.

They have become so big and bloated they can't move at all, this is the cost of trying to be everywhere and a solution to everyone instead of trying to be the best at some task. MS has always confused "most" with "best" and now it is starting to cost them.

NeoSNightmarE
September 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM
That's a scary quote considering what Win2K was from an OS view. I think that this is something that they brought on themselves and I honestly think that it was overdue. Vista shouldn't be released until they get their **** together and take a chill period. I mean, they threw everything into it and have remade it twice that I know of and I'm sure that there was other changes. The mighty are starting to fall. Can't say I'm disappointed.

mstlyevil
September 22nd, 2005, 02:06 AM
Steve Ballmer is Bill Gates b#$h.

poofyhairguy
September 22nd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Thing is, MS doesn't really need Vista yet. XP is still selling well, still the default on most machines.

Vista will take a monster to run it correctly (speaking from experiance). They don't need it yet.

XDevHald
September 22nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
Thing is, MS doesn't really need Vista yet. XP is still selling well, still the default on most machines.

Vista will take a monster to run it correctly (speaking from experiance). They don't need it yet.
Of course everyone knows that poofyhariguy is right and that Dell has come out a few months back with a Dual Core processor in which also has Hyperthread Technology in which can run very well with vista, now even a Pentium w/HT can run it, but deffinently recommended to run Vista would atleast be 3Ghz to a 3.4Ghz and for a laptop 2.0Ghz and up.

I used to work for Dell and was talking with a bunch of the guys and they were recommending the samething, even for those who want to run more than 5-7 things at the same time while running their OS and we're talking about no lag, no down time of memory and applications feeding memory very clean with no kickbacks.

Well, that's my 2 cents for now :)

kleeman
September 22nd, 2005, 03:36 AM
All of this is typical of a monopoly. There simply isn't any incentive to do things efficiently so what do you get? A horribly bloated Vista plus zero development on IE until firefox raises its head.

Teddy Roosevelt would be rolling over in his grave about this. After all he brought in the anti-trust legislation to break up that last mega monopoly Standard Oil.