PDA

View Full Version : Pros / Cons of Updating?

ibanez88
September 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM
From what I can tell there seems to be a discrepancy in philosophies within some of the otherwise helpful resources that I've come across. For example, Running Linux published by O'Reilly states at some points (paraphrased) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and other times that doing so leaves security holes too great to be ignored.

Now, I'm not just talking about upgrading from Hoary to Breezy (although of course I'm considering it).. But moreover, I'm wondering if there are any others who don't particularly love the idea of re-compiling kernel modules and debugging the little hiccups that seem to happen with every kernel update or other significant change? (Linux-headers got borked on my last attempt for example.)

Also I'm hesitant to update because I'm nervous about breaking Firefox again (less of an issue now because I love Opera!). Are the repositories fixed? (I know I should know the answer to that by now, but please read on)

I've ignored most of the updates for the past month or so because I could not invest the time in debugging it if anything went wrong. If that happened, I would lose my main production system and my work.

On the plus side, I have a very stable system right now that can handle most anything I throw at it with aplomb.

But are the actual security risks so bad that I can't use the current configuration indefinitely? Yes I'm on wireless networks, I connect to maybe 5 different WEP networks regularly.

What's the worst that can happen? :)

Any insights here would be greatly appreciated.