PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Demo Day, Swindon

freesitebuilder
January 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM
We'll be holding an Ubuntu Demo Day at the Museum of Computing in Swindon from 10am on Saturday 26 April. This will be an opportunity to meet other users, gaze lovingly into each others desktops, talk to potential users, and of course visit the Museum.

Local publicity will be aimed at telling people about Ubuntu, allowing them to try it out on the demo machines, and giving out liveCDs. We'll also have screencasts and videos running on a large-screen projector.

This event will be free, and there is plenty of free on-site parking. There are plenty of alternative activities nearby for partners and families, including children's activities, shopping, and outdoor activities. A "partners and families" leaflet will be available on-line soon, if you'd like a copy now please contact me.

If anyone would like to help at this event, please contact me - our main need will be for experienced users to talk to non-users and answer their questions.

g7mjv
February 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi, l may well be able to come along...

ls there an active LUG in Wiltshire ?

freesitebuilder
February 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hope to see you then!

Here's the Wiltshire LUG page: http://community.uklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/wiltslug
The mailing list isn't working at the moment, but if you contact the list admin (at the bottom of the page) he'll be able to tell you about any other activities.

Dianne

g7mjv
February 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi, many thanks for the info. l tried to get onto the mailing list a couple of times but now l know why it wasn't successful :(

freesitebuilder
February 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
IRC is OK - #wiltshire

g7mjv
February 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Never used IRC b4 but happy to give it a go

freesitebuilder
February 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat - I use Xchat

g7mjv
February 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Many thanks :KS

b3n87
February 4th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I live in melksham and im really looking forward to coming along
just to be nosey really, and ofcourse help other people out!

is it worth bring my laptop or is it not nessesary?

Cie
February 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Andy,

I'm currently trying to help with WiltsLUG activity. Right know the group seems to be going through a bit of a re-birth, so join us on irc if you can.

In time the website and mailing list will spark back into life I'm sure.

Ciemon.. g0trt
Amesbury, WILTS

freesitebuilder
February 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I live in melksham and im really looking forward to coming along
just to be nosey really, and of course help other people out!

is it worth bring my laptop or is it not nessesary?

If you want to bring your laptop, please do, although I don't think we'll have wireless internet access, only wired, and probably mainly for a demo machine.

I'm hoping that we'll have some non-users as well as users, so it would be good for them to be able to see different laptops to see the wide range of customisation etc, though I wouldn't recommend that you allow others to use your machine. :)

Let me know if you need more info, or a copy of the partners and families sheet with alternative activities.

freesitebuilder
February 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Cie, shall we have a Wilts LUG table at the demo day? If we do get some potential Ubuntu users in, it would be good to let them know that local help is available, and it would be good to boost the LUG too.

b3n87
February 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cie, shall we have a Wilts LUG table at the demo day? If we do get some potential Ubuntu users in, it would be good to let them know that local help is available, and it would be good to boost the LUG too.

yes yes, do that! im interested in joining a LUG group, and a table with information on when you meet, where, what you do, etc would be awesome!

b3n87
February 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
just a thought, can we get this advertised in the wiltshire times? maybe be a half page spread on ubuntu to and about the day?

Funding wise, is Canonical willing to fund this advert or do we all need to chip in (if its decided to be done)

im willing to help fund the advert if others do to

Cie
February 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Cie, shall we have a Wilts LUG table at the demo day?

I hope that something can be done, if nothing else I'm sure that we can get some WiltsLUG flyers together so that people can go away with a piece of paper giving places where they can find out more, and make contact with people.

I'm not sure about a table though, being very new to the LUG I don't want to tread on anyone's toes

freesitebuilder
February 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
just a thought, can we get this advertised in the wiltshire times? maybe be a half page spread on ubuntu to and about the day?

We've got a professional PR firm who do our local (offline) publicity, I'll check if Wiltshire Times is included. I know we include the Swindon Adver (as that's where the museum is) and Wiltshire radio stations such as BBC, GWR, etc, plus press releases to other places.

Linux Format should be listing the event in the LUGs section.

g7mjv
February 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Andy,

I'm currently trying to help with WiltsLUG activity. Right know the group seems to be going through a bit of a re-birth, so join us on irc if you can.

In time the website and mailing list will spark back into life I'm sure.

Ciemon.. g0trt
Amesbury, WILTS

Many thanks for the information..

73,g7mjv

b3n87
February 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
awesome, im really looking forward to this!

what kind of things happen at LUG meetings? im interested in joining wiltshire one

Cie
February 6th, 2008, 11:17 PM
As an aside to the main topic, I gather that the WiltsLUG email list is being worked and should be up in due course. If anyone wants to PM me their email address I'll make sure you're informed when the list goes live.

Ciemon

ksudbury
February 7th, 2008, 01:38 AM
b3n87, join the irc channel... Infact every one join our irc channel would be good to see it more active :)

#wiltshire on irc.freenode.net

g7mjv
February 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Looks like the Wiltshire LUG mailing list is back up and running :)

freesitebuilder
February 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Have you joined the #wiltshire irc, Andy?

liquidfunk
February 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Bring an Exhibition to the NEC Birmingham or Ricoh Arena Coventry !!!!!!

I'll bring lots of friends if you do!

Josh

freesitebuilder
February 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
We hope to tour one of our exhibitions next year - I don't know if any of the Birmingham or Coventry museums will be interested in hosting it, but if they are I'll let you know. :)

g7mjv
February 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Have you joined the #wiltshire irc, Andy?

Yes indeedy :)

pedro_orange
February 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
This thread has been hijacked by the Wiltshire crew.

Back to the topic.....
I am quite looking forward to this!
I will definatley swing by, see whats going on.

Are there going to be any presentations/lectures/speeches?

Or is it just a simple show and tell day?

My girlfriend refuses to come with me saying "If you want to be a geek you can do it without me!"
I'll just take her best mate instead. I'm sure'd love to learn about Ubuntu! :KS

freesitebuilder
February 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
We're going to have selected screencasts running, with subtitles rather than sound. There will be several tables covering different aspects of Ubuntu, such as Absolute Beginners, Graphics, Sound etc. We'll have demo machines where people can try out Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu. There are also people coming from various LUGs, so there will probably be other distros to see on their laptops. Also a chance for social time, meeting other list and forum members. Plus talking to non-users if you want to.

Tell your girlfriend that I've prepared a sheet of alternative activities locally, including shopping (three centres), outdoor activities, childrens activities, and eating places, all within a short walk, drive, or bus ride. If you'd like a copy now, PM me with your email address and I'll send it.

Hope to see you there!

stoodleysnow
February 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'd like to come along, but am not sure if it will be worth my while. To me, Swindon is 'somewhere West of London, on a major railway line'. That's all I know. Yes I'll check a map, my point being I live in West Yorkshire, so travelling that far will cost a fair bit (I don't drive my own vehicle yet, still learning).
Do HudLUG or WYLUG have IRC channels?

freesitebuilder
March 1st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I have to say that West Yorkshire is a long way to travel for this sort of event. This is the first time I've organised anything like this, so I don't know how many people will come, or how it will go. I'd be very happy to share my experiences of the event with you so you can possibly look into organising something similar a bit closer to home.

I had a (very quick) look on Freenode for yorkshire, with no joy - but you could try the UK LUG site http://lug.org.uk/

g7mjv
March 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.wylug.org.uk/

l found the above

gekko_uk
April 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Greetings!

Just a small message to see if the Demo day in Swindon is still happening?

I heared about it on LugRadio but cant seem to find any other info regarding it.

I would be travelling a fair distance to come so dont want to turn up to an empty room!

Thanks

Andy

freesitebuilder
April 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yes, it's still going ahead. There should be quite a few users coming, plus some non-users if the local publicity takes off. Let me know if you have any questions, or if you need a copy of the alternative activities for partners and families.

The second Ubuntu-UK podcast had an article about it - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/

gekko_uk
April 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Glad to hear it.

I am coming down from Glasgow for the day (long way I know).

I am the group IT manager for an investments group in the UK.

I oversee the IT and communication systems of the different companies within the group which span up and down the UK.

I am considering open source more and more and I am attending different events across the UK to get a feel for the community and also to discuss with current users (business and home) about their experiences in moving systems onto open source platforms.

I also enjoy explaining my experience from a business perspective of trying to introduce open source into the business environment.

Be it desktop side or server/infrastructure side.

No doubt speak to you on the day at some point.

Kind Regards
Andy

freesitebuilder
April 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Looking forward to meeting you. Have you tried the #ubuntu-uk IRC channel? Plenty of people there who'd be happy to chat about open source in business.

TpyKv
April 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Great idea!

I will be at my first festival of the year but hope to come to the next one... would be good to show people the ever so sweet results of all the help I've had from this forum... and other thing's I've learnt as a new-comer..

Good Luck!