PDA

View Full Version : Anti virus software

jesterjoker
January 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi
Just installed Ubuntu, any advise as too the best anti virus to run with Ubuntu.

rhc
January 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
If you just installed Ubuntu,then it means you don't know how to login as root and using sudo command.
Then there is no need for an anti-virus. :)

jesterjoker
January 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Huh???

jesterjoker
January 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
do i need to know this?

rhc
January 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I mean Ubuntu is already known with its safety against viruses.
There is no need to install any.
This is not one of Microsoft products. :)

rhc
January 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM
You ll learn them by time and you ll see that if you are not a "unique computer user", you won't have trouble with viruses. : )
No need as last words.

jesterjoker
January 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info.

bodhi.zazen
January 25th, 2008, 09:19 AM
You only need antivirus software IF you are running a mail server, and even then ...

See this link to get you started : Ubuntu Security (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812)

hyper_ch
January 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
or a file server that shares with windows...

but even then I think it is not my task to protect them...

maniacmusician
January 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM
or a file server that shares with windows...

but even then I think it is not my task to protect them...
That's a somewhat ignorant philosophy to have. If you're running a server, it is your responsibility to make sure that it's virus free. Just because someone is running another operating system doesn't mean that it's okay to spread viruses to them.

hyper_ch
January 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Why should I waste my resources to protect others? It is their jobs to take care they are shielded.

bodhi.zazen
January 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
That's a somewhat ignorant philosophy to have. If you're running a server, it is your responsibility to make sure that it's virus free. Just because someone is running another operating system doesn't mean that it's okay to spread viruses to them.

I am afraid I disagree with that statement as well. It is the responsibility of the sys administrator to secure their own network , even if it is network of 1 computer. Securing any operating system is an ongoing responsibility.

IMO, the windows software, running on a windows box, is much better and more efficient at protecting a windows box then linux antivirus software running on a linux server. If I ran windows I would NEVER rely on someone else to secure it, windows needs significant hardening out of the box. Furthermore, no matter how much I harden my linux box, a windows box remains wide open. Take a look at the average time it takes to crack a windows box and the vast bot nets.

jbaerbock
January 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I personally do not use any antiviral software because frankly Linux doesn't need it. I have shared internet before on a small network with windows machine but in that case I made sure each individual person had proper protection already in place.