PDA

View Full Version : Stallman is lonely...

keynell
January 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/bos/533096562.html

I don't know if this was posted already, but I couldn't help but chuckle.

KThrace
January 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM
/sings

"Everyone needs someone..."

Darkhack
January 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Stallman has never been in a relationship before. He has a lot of great views but he tends to push people away with his condescending attitude. If I told RMS I was using fglrx because I wanted accelerated graphics he'd go into this big long 40 minute speech telling me why I'm wrong, why I'm an idiot, and say that I'm sacrificing my freedom for convenience, an act comparable to the holocaust. He is so nuts about non-free software that Godwin's Law can only be measured in Planck time with him.

You know that new Ubuntu distribution Gobuntu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobuntu) which is going to be built on entirely free software in an attempt to satisfy him and his radical fan base? He still doesn't approve of it because it "suggests non-free software". In other words, although it is disabled by default, it's possible to enable a non-free repository on Gobuntu and thus he can't recommend it. It seems the only distributions (a whopping two) which Stallman recommends do everything possible to stand in the user's way of installing non-free software. That's freedom? If you ask me, Stallman is a gNewSense.

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Stallman has never been in a relationship before. He has a lot of great views but he tends to push people away with his condescending attitude. If I told RMS I was using fglrx because I wanted accelerated graphics he'd go into this big long 40 minute speech telling me why I'm wrong, why I'm an idiot, and say that I'm sacrificing my freedom for convenience, an act comparable to the holocaust. He is so nuts about non-free software that Godwin's Law can only be measured in Planck time with him.

You know that new Ubuntu distribution Gobuntu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobuntu) which is going to be built on entirely free software in an attempt to satisfy him and his radical fan base? He still doesn't approve of it because it "suggests non-free software". In other words, although it is disabled by default, it's possible to enable a non-free repository on Gobuntu and thus he can't recommend it. It seems the only distributions (a whopping two) which Stallman recommends do everything possible to stand in the user's way of installing non-free software. That's freedom? If you ask me, Stallman is a gNewSense.

He lives what he preaches. Keep in mind his origins, and the printer incident :)

He is affected by the inconvience of GNU alternatives as much as the next person. I read a transcript of a speach of his (which was very good) and he specifically addressed the lack of a podcast, due to the software used being closed.

He may be extreme, but he makes good arguments for his views, and is a very important figure. GNU and all that it stands for could not exist without an almost fanatical person at the helm.

bufsabre666
January 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
maybe he should of brushed his hair for that picture

Erunno
January 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Mr. Stallman should have used this picture instead:

http://gcubo.org/seminario/stallman

He looks almost respectable with trimmed hair and beard (plus, judging from his side parting he did actually use a brush before this lecture).

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
maybe he should of brushed his hair for that picture

Someone who cared for him wouldn't care about such details. The important thing is that he knows computers.

Scarath
January 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
He lives what he preaches. Keep in mind his origins, and the printer incident :)

He is affected by the inconvience of GNU alternatives as much as the next person. I read a transcript of a speach of his (which was very good) and he specifically addressed the lack of a podcast, due to the software used being closed.

He may be extreme, but he makes good arguments for his views, and is a very important figure. GNU and all that it stands for could not exist without an almost fanatical person at the helm.

+1 The world needs extremists at both ends of the spectrum to push things forward sometimes.

Mr. Stallman should have used this picture instead:

+1 yeah get a shave Stallman, he looks like a russian 'wild man' in the add lol

23meg
January 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
If I told RMS I was using fglrx because I wanted accelerated graphics he'd go into this big long 40 minute speech telling me why I'm wrong, why I'm an idiot, and say that I'm sacrificing my freedom for convenience, an act comparable to the holocaust.

He certainly wouldn't call you an idiot. He's a polite person. You seem to attribute some of the negative characteristics of his "hardcore" followers to him.

Lord Illidan
January 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I agree that his picture does seem a little unkempt.

saulgoode
January 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Such outrage all because rms expresses that "he can't recommend" something. He doesn't condemn it. He doesn't compare it to the Holocaust. He doesn't even call people "idiots" for using it. All he says is "I can't recommend it" and the ranting and raving ensues (I'm looking at you, BSD :) ).

It must be nice to have one's opinion matter so much.

PriceChild
January 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Stallman has never been in a relationship before.

The GNU kernel was not originally supposed to be called the Hurd. Its original
name was Alix—named after the woman who was my sweetheart at the time.http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html

Havoc
January 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I'd hit it.

bufsabre666
January 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'd hit it.

i was waiting for that, i knew someone would say it

Darkhack
January 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Such outrage all because rms expresses that "he can't recommend" something. He doesn't condemn it. He doesn't compare it to the Holocaust. He doesn't even call people "idiots" for using it. All he says is "I can't recommend it" and the ranting and raving ensues (I'm looking at you, BSD :) ).

I admire RMS for a lot of things. He is a very intelligent person. However, he takes things way too far. I find the people that step up to defend him often don't know the same man I do. This is the man that claims the Coca-Cola company condones murder. He told people to commit suicide in order to make a political statement if they are found with marijuana.

By the way, I hope you all know about the worldwide boycott of Coca Cola company for things like murdering union organizers in Columbia.

If you are ever in a situation like this, don't kill yourself in private. Make your death itself be a blow against the tyrant. Plead innocent; then kill yourself in the courtroom, with the jury and journalists watching, after defying the judge by shouting, "I'm a medical marijuana grower. You were going to make those 12 honest citizens your tools for evil, but I will save them from you. May my death be on your conscience for as long as you live."

As for the BSD incident, Theo de Raadt is an *******. I've never met him, but I've seen the mailing lists. I still admire him more than RMS; and yes I do admire RMS despite my criticisms, I just wish he would tone it down and not treat people who use proprietary software like they are part of the axis of evil. Theo is brilliant and I loved the way he stood up to RMS. I like to the think the best of people, but it almost seemed like he was trolling. He knew nothing about OpenBSD and he later went on to confess that he didn't even know if the BSD license was compatible or not with the GPL!

saulgoode
January 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I admire RMS for a lot of things. He is a very intelligent person. However, he takes things way too far. I find the people that step up to defend him often don't know the same man I do. This is the man that claims the Coca-Cola company condones murder. He told people to commit suicide in order to make a political statement if they are found with marijuana.

Stallman is usually quite precise in his statements (a typical trait of good programmers). He didn't claim that Coke "condones murder", he stated a wish that people were aware of a boycott campaign (at least in the quote you provided). He did not tell people to commit suicide, he stated that IF one was going to do it, to do so in a productive manner.

You may very well know the man better than I do; I have never met him nor interacted with him. All I know about him is from his works and the things he's actually stated. Nonetheless, it seems rather common for his statements to be mischaracterized and for sentiments to be falsely attributed to him.

macogw
January 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I agree that his picture does seem a little unkempt.
"a little"?

browndruid
January 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Who cares if he's a tad bit messy in the picture? I doubt anyone on these forums is going to contact him (other than Havoc, of course). Radicals seem to have a tendency to not care so much about what they look like, since they're so passionate about the things that devour their lives.

Kingsley
January 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'd hit it.
... with some shampoo and a bar of soap.

sanderella
January 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/bos/533096562.html

I don't know if this was posted already, but I couldn't help but chuckle.

Did anyone look at the other items on this website? :lolflag:

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I like the way he looks mostly, hair wise.

plun
January 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
As for the BSD incident, Theo de Raadt is an *******. I've never met him, but I've seen the mailing lists. I still admire him more than RMS; and yes I do admire RMS despite my criticisms, I just wish he would tone it down and not treat people who use proprietary software like they are part of the axis of evil. Theo is brilliant and I loved the way he stood up to RMS. I like to the think the best of people, but it almost seemed like he was trolling. He knew nothing about OpenBSD and he later went on to confess that he didn't even know if the BSD license was compatible or not with the GPL!

Well written.

"Real men don't attack strawmen"

Theo is really tough within this little discussion.

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openbsd-misc/2007/12/10/486713

The problem isn't RMS, its a bunch of hard core software religious users running around in every forum worldwide...:(

SZF2001
January 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
+1 The world needs extremists at both ends of the spectrum to push things forward sometimes.

Yea, EVERYONE loves extremists, I mean the Westboro Baptist Church is really reaching out to people everywhere! [/sarcasm]

He just needs to chill out.

Lord Illidan
January 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
From that image, I doubt he can chill out more :D

Seriously, I think the man's idea of software freedom is pure genius, though. Think about it. Without RMS, what kind of uber-propietary world we'd be living in today?

Washer
January 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
You guys gotta see Stallman cranking dat soulja boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pube5Aynsls

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Great!

fatality_uk
January 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Nah, just gimme Celine Dion and a nice bottle of Chablis any day!! :D

I do like the fact he can't even be messing about without his laptop :lol:

Darkhack
January 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Not to go too far off topic, but am I the only one that thinks the URL looks like it says "Pubes Analysis"?

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Not to go too far off topic, but am I the only one that thinks the URL looks like it says "Pubes Analysis"?

Paging Doctor Freud....

:)

alwiap
January 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'd hit it.

caveman style! rawr!

bobbybobington
January 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Messy? what are you guys talking about? Ladies like a man with a beard, it makes him look rugged. lol Seriously though, he's famous.

LaRoza
January 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Messy? what are you guys talking about? Ladies like a man with a beard

+1

tbroderick
January 26th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Without RMS, what kind of uber-propietary world we'd be living in today?

One without emacs [-o<

browndruid
January 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
A world without emacs would be lovely.
Long live vi!

DjBones
January 27th, 2008, 12:22 AM
dang, hes gotta be fightin off the ladies with both hands lol

K.Mandla
January 27th, 2008, 01:07 AM
He lives what he preaches.
+1, and it's rare to find that in someone these days.

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 01:08 AM
+1, and it's rare to find that in someone these days.

Yes. I disagree with him on a few issues (religion), but I have more respect for him than I do for some who have the same beliefs as I.

browndruid
January 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Yes. I disagree with him on a few issues (religion), but I have more respect for him than I do for some who have the same beliefs as I.

I'm in the same boat. The man is amazing, and I have found plenty of people with very similar religious views (since my are rather unique) who I can't stand because of the way they express them and proselytize. Religion, however, is rather unrelated to free software, which might just be far more important than religion anyway.

Dr. C
January 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
... Seriously, I think the man's idea of software freedom is pure genius, though. Think about it. Without RMS, what kind of uber-propietary world we'd be living in today?

One without most Free Libre software in particular without the Free Libre software developed by for profit corporations. RMS biggest contribution is the invention of copyleft software licensing in the GPL, and it is the copyleft provisions of the GPL that allows business to develop Free Libre software.

Xbehave
January 27th, 2008, 02:30 PM
This is the man that claims the Coca-Cola company condones murder.
They really do tho! im not going to get into it but they clearly dont kill people, but they are fine employing people that do.

As for RMS i just wish he would finish hurd and take all the fanatics away from linux, For some people Linux is JUST an operating system, being open source is definatly a feature but it isnt all there is to it.

Incense
January 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
They really do tho! im not going to get into it but they clearly dont kill people, but they are fine employing people that do.

As for RMS i just wish he would finish hurd and take all the fanatics away from linux, For some people Linux is JUST an operating system, being open source is definatly a feature but it isnt all there is to it.

Surely you mean GNU/Linux right? ;)

Days have been slow here at work, and I've been reading a lot of RMS's lectures, papers, as well as Free as in Freedom, and I have to say the man really leaves an impression on you.

Darkhack
January 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Can you provide a link that's not Killer Coke that has any information on this? So far, all I've seen from them are propaganda with words like "murder", "death" and "killed" in bold and how Pepsi is the second coming.

Why would The HURD be any better? Why would that "take all the fanatics away from Linux"? Why do we even need to take the fanatics away?

Days have been slow here at work, and I've been reading a lot of RMS's lectures, papers, as well as Free as in Freedom, and I have to say the man really leaves an impression on you.

Indeed he does. Sometimes that impression is good and other times he is bat poop crazy! Stallman would be a great guy if he just understood this thing called middle-ground. Unfortunately he does not and you are either with him or against him. In my opinion, he is worse than John C. Dvorak. Just take the OpenBSD incident for example. He was outright trolling in that case and don't try to say he wasn't. Read the mailing lists. The fact that RMS was trolling was so obvious it's not even funny.

ssam
January 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
he may be easy to laugh at, but has does a lot for free software.

i dont see the need to call it GNU/Linux, but without thinks like GCC and GNU utilities there probably would not be any Linux.

Can you provide a link that's not Killer Coke that has any information on this? So far, all I've seen from them are propaganda with words like "murder", "death" and "killed" in bold and how Pepsi is the second coming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/jul/24/marketingandpr.colombia
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1448962.stm

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Any woman who answers this personal ad must be willing to allow him to pick callouses off of her feet and chew on them like beef jerkey.

Stallman would be a great guy if he just understood this thing called middle-ground. Unfortunately he does not and you are either with him or against him. In my opinion, he is worse than John C. Dvorak.

If he understood middle-ground we wouldn't have Free Software. We need the extremists to make fools of themselves and propel the things that we middle-grounders can just sit back and enjoy.

DjBones
January 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Think about it. Without RMS, what kind of uber-propietary world we'd be living in today?

one without emacs [-o<

Darkhack
January 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If he understood middle-ground we wouldn't have Free Software. We need the extremists to make fools of themselves and propel the things that we middle-grounders can just sit back and enjoy.

That's the kind of thinking that let Hitler into power.

Xbehave
January 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/Coca-Cola-Human-Rights20jul01.htm
http://www.nynewsnetwork.com/Article.php?article=City+Council+Delegation+to+Col ombia+Reports.xml
sorry ive never seen 1 thing that was anti-coke promoting pepsi so thats a load of rubish!

Why would The HURD be any better? Why would that "take all the fanatics away from Linux"? Why do we even need to take the fanatics away?
Because people who use linux as an OS and use prop graphics card driver (because its just a driver!) get hamperd by warnings of how prop software is evil just to keep the fanatics happy!look at all the time spent arguing if gpl 2 or 3 is better instead of just working.

If he understood middle-ground we wouldn't have Free Software. We need the extremists to make fools of themselves and propel the things that we middle-grounders can just sit back and enjoy. BSD? linux (sure its licesned under GPL but stallman has done nothing but hamper the kernel with stuff like the gplv3 split)? firefox (he doesn't even call it free software because they want to controll thier product)? OO(once again he probably wouldnt call it free software)? Hell by his standerd ubuntu even if striped of all proprietry software wouldnt be free software because of the logos!

browndruid
January 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
i dont see the need to call it GNU/Linux, but without thinks like GCC and GNU utilities there probably would not be any Linux.

Well, you could run the Linux kernel without anything GNU with it. Of course, you'd have to find or write compilers that have pretty much the same (or better) functionality as GCC and pretty much everything else that makes GNU worth using. And it took them six years to do it twenty years ago, so it would surely run you a bit longer now.

DoctorMO
January 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM
You have to consider the human being, all those who would laugh at Richards misfortune are cruel, heartless and unsympathetic jerks. It's well known that he suffers from asperger's syndrome and every one of the people I know that suffer have the most incredible difficulty getting women and being empathetic in a way that allows you to change yourself to fit with others.

Just because most of the world is full of shallow jerks that care more about someone's grooming that their actual personality doesn't make those of us who are not shallow, wrong.

I feel for the guy and hope there is someone out there for him.

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
You have to consider the human being, all those who would laugh at Richards misfortune are cruel, heartless and unsympathetic jerks. It's well known that he suffers from asperger's syndrome and every one of the people I know that suffer have the most incredible difficulty getting women and being empathetic in a way that allows you to change yourself to fit with others.

Just because most of the world is full of shallow jerks that care more about someone's grooming that their actual personality doesn't make those of us who are not shallow, wrong.

I feel for the guy and hope there is someone out there for him.

Asperger's syndrome is not a disease and one does not "suffer" from it. Society is almost the entire cause of any problems.

I heard Tony Attwood say he could cure anybody with Asperger's syndrome in a second, just remove the other people. I attended a seminar by him.

forrestcupp
January 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Well, I definitely don't want him in power. But it's ok where he's at now because we can enjoy the fruits of free software and let the extremists look crazy. But, yeah. RMS in power. That's scary!

samwyse
January 28th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) :-({|=

alwiap
January 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) :-({|=

:lolflag:

sageb1
January 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM

on the FSF site i heard one and only one speech - the MCs were more boring than he was, but I was determined to find out how he sounded, which is sorta like a nyc state version of JFK, even though technically he has retained a strong NYC accent despite hanging out in Boston, though I am not up on Brooklynese and Bronx accent.

most established sysadmins dislike him; ok, one did but he's on jinx.com :popcorn:

i cannot see why he can't find a girl in Thailand or Malaysia, since he ought to be freed of the usual prejudices preoccupying East Coast WASP males.

his wikipedia bio states that one of the factors behind his computer obsession had to do with a knee injury that prevented him from participating in folk dancing and mingling with the ladies.

IMHO this is an excuse not to socialize since there are less rigorous forms of exercise that can mitigate injuries like that i.e. tai chi. besides tai chi is a lot freer than other forms of martial arts - although, aikido is the most free of all, as they do not compete. indeed, this guy could definitely use some exercise.

regarding difficulties in getting along with Stallman, let's listen to wikipedia tell it like it is:

Stallman places great importance on the words and labels people use to talk about the world, including the relationship between software and freedom. He untiringly asks people to say "free software", "GNU/Linux", and to avoid the term "intellectual property". His requests that people use certain terms, and his ongoing efforts to convince people of the importance of terminology, are a source of regular mis-understanding and friction with parts of the free and open source software community.

The article then goes on to record what Stallman does to avoid taking interviews with certain journalists who do not value freedom over the "slavery' of proprietary software i.e. getting them to read the GPL, and using correct terminology. As well, he will avoid speaking at seminars if the organizers are befuddled by his demands.

"Open source" is a no-no phrase for Stallman because it does not emphasize freedom like "free software" does. He likewise does not like "closed source" and refer to it as "proprietary software".

I wonder if he is some software Robin Hood. One sysadmin I talked to on jinx has accused him of stealing software, which indicates to me how sensitive a lot of people are about what they consider "proprietary' as in "since I made it, it's mine and no, i i will not share my source code with you."

Stallman repeatedly asks that the term "GNU/Linux", which he pronounces "GNU Slash Linux", be used to refer to the operating system created by combining the GNU system and the Linux kernel.

I can live with that term. That's the string you get back when you enter the following command at CLI:

$ uname -o

So we've been using the term "Linux" as a shorthand of GNU/Linux when refering to the OS, when actually "Linux" is the system name proper - and yes, they are two separate but related terms.

Hmm... I wonder if GPL will free or enslave his potential mate.

lespaul_rentals
January 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know why so many people are putting him down in this thread. You have a lot to thank him for, and I mean a lot. GNU/Linux wouldn't exist if it weren't for him. So stop being jerks.

I can't look at the CraigsList link because I'm behind a school proxy and it won't let me access it. Is it really Stallman? Can anyone embed the picture and quote the listing for me?

Darkhack
January 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know why so many people are putting him down in this thread. You have a lot to thank him for, and I mean a lot. GNU/Linux wouldn't exist if it weren't for him. So stop being jerks.

I appreciate some of the things he does. He just takes it too far sometimes. Imagine you're Joe Average and some bearded dude tells you that running Windows makes you a slave and that this "Lunix" thing you've never heard of is going to make it all better. Then your software that you paid a lot of money for doesn't work and you can no longer open files that friends send you through email like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Quickbooks, or whatever.

I'm not a car person and I don't know if any of you are, but let's pretend you aren't. Some dude with a giant beard comes in and tells you that you are using a "non-free car" and that "your freedom is at stake!" and that you need to convert to a car company you've never heard of in your entire life and instead of a wheel and pedals you have a joystick and levers. You'd think that whoever was trying to convert you was bat poop crazy! Oh and it's not a "car" it's a "GNU/Car".

My parents use Windows XP because it works for them and they like to play those cheesy little Yahoo games that don't always work in WINE. Do I recommend Linux? From time to time yes. Do I force it down everyone's throats shouting "For a GNU Dawn. For FREEDOM!!!!!!!!"? No, but Stallman does and it's annoying.

As for life without GNU, I'd just use BSD.

saulgoode
January 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Do I force it down everyone's throats shouting "For a GNU Dawn. For FREEDOM!!!!!!!!"? No, but Stallman does and it's annoying.

No, he hasn't. He expresses his opinion, much like you just did yours.

Darkhack
January 30th, 2008, 03:35 AM
No, he hasn't. He expresses his opinion, much like you just did yours.

If Stallman came into my home and saw my parents using Windows XP, I have a strong feeling that he would bug them to death about it and never leave them alone no matter how much they didn't want "GNU/Linux" and wanted to keep Windows. That's not freedom, that's fascism.

p_quarles
January 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Darkhack, I believe you have just Godwin'd this thread. ;)

Let's all keep it civil. One can disagree with RMS's and GNU's stances on things without calling names.

LaRoza
January 30th, 2008, 03:57 AM
And at no time did RMS force his beliefs on others. I would be honoured to have him as a guest, and I wouldn't hide the hardware or software I use. I would greatly appreciate his advice on making everything GNU as I can.

I would also try to use the word "Vim" as often as possible and tell him how great it is.

Pethegreat
January 30th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I heard Tony Attwood say he could cure anybody with Asperger's syndrome in a second, just remove the other people. I attended a seminar by him.
That method solves %100 of the world's problems. I like it.

From what I have read about him he is extremly eccentric. I would take a world of people like him over the current 6 billion we have now. You would have enough crazy people on all sides to balance things out in the end,

I'm not a car person and I don't know if any of you are, but let's pretend you aren't. Some dude with a giant beard comes in and tells you that you are using a "non-free car" and that "your freedom is at stake!" and that you need to convert to a car company you've never heard of in your entire life and instead of a wheel and pedals you have a joystick and levers. You'd think that whoever was trying to convert you was bat poop crazy! Oh and it's not a "car" it's a "GNU/Car".
I would try it out before I called him crazy. It is hard to find people who will listen to you if you are like he is. If people would give him an ear I don't think he would be as crazy.

AnonCat
January 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
The Stallmans of the world are the natural enemies of the well manicured snakes in suits who are out to rip you off. The world needs more people like Stallman.

deeann
January 30th, 2008, 04:51 AM
mr. Stallman should have used this picture instead:

he looks almost respectable with trimmed hair and beard (plus, judging from his side parting he did actually use a brush before this lecture).

:p

Incense
January 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
And at no time did RMS force his beliefs on others. I would be honoured to have him as a guest, and I wouldn't hide the hardware or software I use. I would greatly appreciate his advice on making everything GNU as I can.

I would also try to use the word "Vim" as often as possible and tell him how great it is.

+ 1. I actually hear that he is very polite, and a wonderful person to engage in a civil and intelligent conversation.

Don't know so much about VIM though....;)

aeto
January 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Stallman is the philosopher of today, of the modern age. Like Plato, Socrates, and all others before him, we need to realize there will _not_ be similar people in this world for quite some time, yet again. This is a gift of the universe once in a while.

rodneythellama
February 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
They say that behind every great man is a great woman. So far, Stallman has been great alone. He would like a companion, and is not hiding anything. What is there to criticise?

It's been said before but I'll repeat. Without rms there would be no Ubuntu. So how about some gratitude instead of personal attacks?

I noticed that someone claimed that it was "widely known" that Stallman has asperger's syndrome. As far as I can see from google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=mOD&q=asperger+richard+stallman&btnG=Search), this is only mentioned in Sam Williams' biography. They speculate about the possibility that it explains his abrupt personality and absolute commitment to ideals. (For reference, here are the links I looked at o'reilly (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/02/28/williams.html?page=1), inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2003/02/24/in-praise-of-richard-stallman), salon (http://archive.salon.com/tech/books/2002/04/02/stallman/index.html), support group (http://bingaspies.tripod.com/), some blog (http://edward.oconnor.cx/2005/04/rms).

I was watching a recording of Stallman's "Copyright and the Community" speech last night with a friend. She said he was very easy to understand but was put off by his appearance, and how he was sipping on a pepsi and burping. Also she found the compulsory 8 minutes or so of explanation why it should be called GNU+Linux quite boring. Anyway I thought what if someone were to get the exact same speech, put it on a teleprompter, then have some telegenic actor read it out. Now there is one less barrier to receiving his message, which - despite being revolutionary - is very simple, positive, understandable commonsense.