PDA

View Full Version : TrackPoint vs TouchPad

Vadi
January 25th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Yes, my choice of a new laptop depends on that. Because IBM patented the TrackPoint, so only IBM/Lenovo laptops have it, while the rest of laptop users need to carry a mouse about :/ (especially for FPS games or heavy usage).

chewearn
January 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM
My opinion:
Touchpads are a bane of notebook users, but trackpoints are worse. What we need is a real mouse that can be tuck into a compartment inside the notebook.

igknighted
January 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Don't toshiba's usually have trackpoints?

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Don't toshiba's usually have trackpoints?

They are similar, but not the same.

Whiffle
January 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I love my trackpoint, you don't even have to move your hands off the keys really, its right there. Touchpads are okay, i use it from time to time. IF I'm really doing alot of mousing though, I whip out the bluetooth mouse.

gn2
January 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
They are similar, but not the same.

Please explain the difference?

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM

The internal technology is different. I have never used a non TrackPoint (tm), so I don't no how obvious it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick

nat6138
January 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Love the TrackPoint on my laptop.

But I also use the TouchPad once n awhile.

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I use a mouse...

paintba||er
January 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I've only used a TrackPoint a few times, and it seemed a bit better than a trackpad, but I definitely wouldn't base a purchase solely on it...

23meg
January 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Another difference is that IBM's sticks tend to have flat tops with a larger surface, whereas Toshiba's are rounded (and get more rounded with use) and almost buried between the keys.

Rhubarb
January 25th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I voted for the touchpad, as it's much more of an analogue feel to it.
I can win FPS games with just a touchpad, no chance using a trackpoint.
Track points often wear out after a few months of use, they become slippery and hence makes it much much harder to use it as time goes by.

In ubuntu, the right hand side of the touchpad becomes a scroll pad, so you can look up and down pages + web sites easily.

Whiffle
January 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
My trackpoint is nearly a year old now, I use it all the time...works fine. Its not slick at all. You can scroll with a trackpoint too, just hold down the middle button and wiggle the trackpoint. I would never try gaming with a trackpoint or touchpad either...I'll use a real mouse for that, not to mention a computer with an actual graphics card :-P

gn2
January 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM
The internal technology is different. I have never used a non TrackPoint (tm), so I don't no how obvious it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick

Doubt there's any real difference.
I have a Toshiba with an Accupoint device and it works just the same as the one on my Thinkpad.

I can't stand touchpads, if my next laptop has one I'll probably disconnect it.

regomodo
January 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
can't stand trackpads. I have to have trackpoints.

xeth_delta
January 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Having used both of them I think both have their advantages. I would have to say though, that I prefer touchpads, as it can be configured to control scroll, have multi-touch gestures. I also like to set my pointer to a very high speed and find it easy to control with a touchpad.

For a small form factor like the Thinkpad X series, a trackpoint is indeed rather convenient.

Xeth

insane_alien
January 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
trackpoint al the way. though i do use a USB mouse wherever i can find a desk. touch pads have made me utterly fail at opening menus and take over 2 minutes to get the cursor over the right button accurately enough for it to be pressed only for my finger to slightly twitch and ruin it.

PriceChild
January 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Incase anyone is having difficulties...

<<Image removed after report>>

*warns self for bad language*

Ah well, was fun while it lasted. Was a link to the xkcd.org "Appropriate Term" comic. (243)

wersdaluv
January 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I prefer the touch pad because you can you it as a scroll and you can right click too :D

Babbage
January 25th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I don't like touchpads & trackpoints. I prefer a mouse, and I mean a good normal-sized USB mouse, not the micro mice sold as notebook mice. These seem to be designed as if all notebook users hands are the size of a five year old. They're completely ridiculous, and usually need batteries as well.

Vadi
January 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
My current laptop is a T40 (anyone want it? Excellent condition), which has both a TrackPoint and TouchPad. I really don't like touchpads because a) they get in the way when you're typing, so accidently, you'd see the mouse fly over the screen, and b) to get anywhere, you need to move the finger across the thing multiple times (if you want accuracy, that is).

Whereas the trackpoint is never touched accidently, and is right there when you need it. It's even better than a traditional keyboard + mouse setup :/

(and, well, the other deciding factor will be a graphics card too. but this issue is like 40% of the decision)

TBOL3
January 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I also go with a small sized usb mouse.

D-EJ915
January 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
touchpads are abominations, once they get nasty you can't pull it off and replace it like an eraserhead. Not to mention how much slower and inaccurate they are.

slimdog360
January 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
the touch pad on mac notebooks are great. Way better then normal ones.

Spr0k3t
January 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
My opinion:
Touchpads are a bane of notebook users, but trackpoints are worse. What we need is a real mouse that can be tuck into a compartment inside the notebook.

Like the Slim G4 or the MoGo Mouse... but better.

dedmonds
January 27th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I much prefer the TrackPoint to the Touchpad. It is nice not to have to move my hands far from the home row in order to make pointer movements. I am even considering a keyboard with an integrated TrackPoint device for my next desktop keyboard (http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104wh.html).

-D-

Vadi
January 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Well, decided to go with a touchpad laptop (one of system76's probably), but does anyone know if it'll be possible to replace a keyboard there with a trackpoint one?

D-EJ915
January 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well, decided to go with a touchpad laptop (one of system76's probably), but does anyone know if it'll be possible to replace a keyboard there with a trackpoint one?
most likely not, most have proprietary connections (well not really, just ribbon cables) but you wouldn't be able to just swap it in without some interesting hardware modification.

Incense
January 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I use a mouse...

+ 1 for mouse!

lklk
April 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Trackpoint. I used my sisters laptop the last few summers and I hated the touchpad. I love the trackpoint and tablet on my Thinkpad but I don't use the tablet that much because of the limited handwriting recognition in Linux and the fact that I can't login without a keyboard. I only used a trackball once and it didn't feel right. As for the classic mouse, two buttons and a clickable scroll wheel nothing less, I only use it with desktops but prefer a trackpoint for most work except gaming.

amazingtaters
April 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I detest the trackpoint. Had one on an old lappy my dad got from work. I always ended up fat fingering it and pushing keys on the keyboard. That being said, I'm still not a huge touchpad fan. It's just the lesser of two evils.

popch
April 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Mouse if possible and convenient, touchpad otherwise. No trackpoints at all as I never could get the hang of them. I can't see how people can stand the differential operation.

... don't use the tablet that much because of the (...) fact that I can't login without a keyboard.

You can install a virtual keyboard (an onscreen display) and you can set Linux to use that for login. Sorry, I can't go and look at the moment because I haven't set up my tablet with those options right now.

exception
April 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'm a big TrackPoint fan! I used to use it over my mouse for development work.

Sure the TrackPoint on my Thinkpad is nice. But the one on my HP works just fine also.

I guess it comes down to how much typing you have to do. I use vi for editing and I never seem to wanna move my fingers away from the keyboard, so that's why I chose Trackpoint over everything else =)