PDA

View Full Version : 700MHz for sale

stalker145
January 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm sure at least a few of you are aware of the presently ongoing sale of the 700MHz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/700_MHz_wireless_spectrum_auction) portion of the wireless spectrum by the FCC here in the U.S. Is anyone, other than me, curious about what absurd amounts of money corporations are willing to throw at owning the rights to these frequencies?

Well, check out the FCC's auction page (https://auctionsignon.fcc.gov/signon/index.htm) and choose Auction 73 from the dropdown box. Prepare to be amazed... Bidding is done for today and it's up in the neighborhood of $2.7 billion US dollars.

Ouch, I just realized from the wiki page that there's a reserve price of $10 billion USD if one were to buy all of the spectrum... daaaaamn.

stalker145
January 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Day 3. Round 8 of God knows how many rounds is complete and the total price is up over $6.1 billion.

The most depressing part is to read that the area that I live in (Jacksonville, NC) is, so far, worth only $18,000 <sigh>

I guess I'm the only one that is amazed at the amount of money that is being spent on mere radio signals.

quinnten83
January 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
well, this is easy broadband delivery. no wires running on the ground.
and accessible everywhere. Basically an untapped market.
SO yeah, it is worth big money. Maybe crazy, but in the long run, they will get their money's worth and more....

Me..?
always scared when big corporations get involved, that is how the internet got ruined.

Linuxratty
January 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
So very true...And yes,this is very scary...Soon the whole planet will be controlled by this small conglomerate of corporations and the men behind them pulling the strings.
it's VERY disturbing.

jrusso2
January 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Personally I am pulling for Google as I despise the cell phone companies.

stalker145
January 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Personally I am pulling for Google as I despise the cell phone companies.

For some odd reason I am, too. I do wonder a bit if they are, maybe, getting into too many things and may soon end up controlling the world 8-[

Maybe we should start taking bets on who the big winner in this will be. The losing forum members must run twice around the backyard forum naked ;)

~LoKe
January 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
No one company can control the whole thing. There are anti-monopoly laws to ensure that market share is divided. With that being said, Google would do wonderful things with this.