PDA

View Full Version : Blog with ubuntu tutorials

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi, I've just started a blog where i will put some tutorials / tips&tricks for Ubuntu. Whenever i found the solution to any problems i have regarding Ubuntu, I will post it on my blog. Please feel free to visit the blog and give me feedback.
You'll find my blog in my signature.
Thanks.

scizzo
January 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Nice.......everyone gets to points where they get different sort of problems always good to view different places for good tutorials/tips and howtos.

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Nice.......everyone gets to points where they get different sort of problems always good to view different places for good tutorials/tips and howtos.

Yes i agree, i solve a lot's of problems, and try a lot's of stuff, so the least i could do for the community is to write about it.

Frumious Boojum
January 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Decent start, so I'll give some suggestion...

Since the target audience is probably the newest user, you may want to start using more screenshots to illustrate the tutorials, even if it's somewhat not needed. To an absolute beginner, the more graphical a tutorial is, the more likely they'll be to understand that they are doing everything right.

As for the post from the guy on ZDNet Forums, when you do posts like that -- try to throw in your personal commentary, not just his point of view. Absolute beginners can get confused very easy, so it's possible that people at that stage may mistake the clueless opinion as truth.

You may consider getting somebody to join the blog as a co-blogger so that you can cover a little more territory than if you were to blog alone. Team blogging can be fun. :)

Babbage
January 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Wooohh... looks scary to me! :confused: and I'm using Ubuntu a couple of years! :) Sorry to be critical. I like Blogger, it's a good idea, and I think it's great you're willing to help others.

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Decent start, so I'll give some suggestion...

Since the target audience is probably the newest user, you may want to start using more screenshots to illustrate the tutorials, even if it's somewhat not needed. To an absolute beginner, the more graphical a tutorial is, the more likely they'll be to understand that they are doing everything right.

As for the post from the guy on ZDNet Forums, when you do posts like that -- try to throw in your personal commentary, not just his point of view. Absolute beginners can get confused very easy, so it's possible that people at that stage may mistake the clueless opinion as truth.

You may consider getting somebody to join the blog as a co-blogger so that you can cover a little more territory than if you were to blog alone. Team blogging can be fun. :)

Thanks for your suggestions, i agree with them all, and i will take them into account.
The idea about a co-blogger is interesting, anyone who read this feel free to contact me about co-blogging.

Babbage
January 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Existing blogs can help point you in the right direction. Using Google I found these:

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/add-the-trash-can-icon-to-your-ubuntu-desktop/

They might give you some ideas. Good luck.

Patrick-Ruff
January 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
it would also be good if you suggest things in the blog that usually aren't brought up all the time in normal blogs, it always irritates me when I see people post blogs on how to do the most simple stuff if people looked on 500 other blogs . . . . so try to be original in what you post and try not to post anything that is ridiculously simple/obvious and you'll probably have a lot more attention.

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Existing blogs can help point you in the right direction. Using Google I found these:

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/add-the-trash-can-icon-to-your-ubuntu-desktop/

They might give you some ideas. Good luck.

Yes, I've been inspired by other ubuntu-blogs, there can't be too many of them :)
Thanks

Patrick-Ruff
January 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
there's actually hundreds, a lot of them are kind of annoying ;).

Vorian
January 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
there's actually hundreds, a lot of them are kind of annoying ;).LoL
Like the one with the url that matches this thread title ;)

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
LoL
Like the one with the url that matches this thread title ;)

Don't visit pages you find annoying then.

Babbage
January 24th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah I agree with Patrick. If you can find an original slant that would be good. Maybe even consider a video blog with step-by-step how to's, a blog with screen captured tutorials and downloadable pdf guides. (A snap to do in OpenOffice!)

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah I agree with Patrick. If you can find an original slant that would be good. Maybe even consider a video blog with step-by-step how to's, a blog with screen captured tutorials and downloadable pdf guides. (A snap to do in OpenOffice!)

I know that there are a thousands of other ubuntu related blogs out there, I'm not trying to be easier, better or bigger than the others. It's just a place where i put my experiences regarding Ubuntu.

After i while i will probably see witch level of easyness the readers wan't, it would be a waste of time to make a videotutorial of something that the majority of the readers will understand with just plain text and a screenshot. A video might even be harder to follow.
And i can't see why it would be easier to follow a pdf-tutorial than a post in the blog.

But thanks for the feedback, better than just say that the blog is annoying without giving any reason.

quinnten83
January 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Dude,
go for it, there can't be enough blogs about Ubuntu.

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Dude,
go for it, there can't be enough blogs about Ubuntu.

Vorian
January 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM

We just don't need blog posts announcing everything that the ubuntu-announce mailing list puts out :)

The more Ubuntu blogs, the better.

Shimmy
January 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
For sure, go for it!

We just don't need blog posts announcing everything that the ubuntu-announce mailing list puts out :)

The more Ubuntu blogs, the better.

No, it's not a blog about Ubuntu news, it's a blog where i post my solutions and tips&tricks.