PDA

View Full Version : Product sin bin

RudolfMDLT
January 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi

I've had a terrible time with some hardware and software the past couple of days, and I'm not talking about the time that I've spent with Wine! :)

This list is dedicated to the stuff that had some nasty surprises in them, hardware and software that made you scream and swear never to buy something from that company again. Software that only lets you do half of what it showed you on the box-cover without a credit card number. Companies that you have had a terrible support relationship with. This post is intended for Windows, Mac and Linux, hardware and software.

This is not a flame thread, so please, just provide us with the facts. I want this to serve as an informative list for people to read and learn from, not something that should not have to be moved to the backyard 5 minutes after it was created. I want this to help people, and hopefully in the futer help me! :)

If the mods feel that this thread is uncalled for, please go ahead and delete it, but I do feel that somewhere there should be something like this. I don't want it to be negative, just informative.

In previous threads that asked for structure, only the first 2 or three people kept to the convention, so if your lazy, just copy and paste a basic template below. The reason for the template is that I HOPE that when some one does a search on the forums for "Product: USB Stick", then this thread'll be in the search results. Feel free to delete the fields you don't use and to add your own.

Hope this turns out as I planned,

Thanks,

Rudolf

Manufacturer:
Product:
Service:
Your experience:

Product URL:
Extra Info:

RudolfMDLT
January 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Manufacturer: Canyon
Product: USB Bluetooth Dongle
Your experience:

The device does not use standard drivers, it uses a 3rd party product called BlueSoleil that takes over bluetooth management from windows XP and Vista. You cannot use this device without the 3rd party software. Problems involved with the software is the cellphone syncing software sometimes malfunctions. Also, when replacing the unit with a standard USB-dongle, the software now informs you that the dongle does not contain a license to use the software and that all bluetooth traffic is limited to 5 megs. The Canyon dongle apparently contains a license file on the dongle.

The unit is also not Linux compatible. Ubuntu seems to install the drivers, but all attempts at an actual connection fail. If you do have a Canyon CN-BTU3 bluetooth dongle working in linux, please PM me and I'll remove this part of the post.

Product URL: http://www.canyon-tech.com/products/connectivity/bluetooth/CN-BTU3

barbedsaber
January 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Manufactutor LG
product FM33 4gb mp3 player

I bought this becuase it had ogg support, and it has worked pretty well except for one thing. VIDEOS! you HAVE to use the software that comes with it, which seems pretty standerd, but you have to convert things to [lg]avi to veiw them, or some *&%& like that. it is a pain, and I cant get the software to work on vista either.