PDA

View Full Version : Which Free Software Supporter are YOU ?

MaximB
January 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
In this article there are 7 types of FSS.
I consider myself 5) Mainstream Advocates and a little bit of 1) Microsoft Haters.

Anyway read and say - who are you ? : http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3723131_1

bufsabre666
January 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
im definitly 5) mainstream advocate

with a small bit of 2) bargin hunters and 3) oss programmer ((if you count my school work))

stoodleysnow
January 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Most of the above, except Programmer (I'll learn that if I ever have the time [and pigs will fly] or if someone pays me to).
I hate Microsoft, want a bargain and I actively advocate the use of open source software in Hardcore, Mainstream and softcore applications.
And if I'm missing the point, it's deliberate.
:-D

karellen
January 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I chose others. for me it has no importance if a program si freeware (free as in beer) or open source (free as in speech). I'm not a programer and I don't plan to work in the IT field, so...

jrusso2
January 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I use the best tool for the job. I always hope its free software but if its not I am willing to use proprietary.

Methuselah
January 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think there is a place for proprietary software, but I think right now its place is too prominent. 90% of PC running the same secretive code for a part of critical as the OS is a recipe for disaster sooner or later. Not even to mention the excessive power vested in a profit oriented corporate entity.

I chose other, although I can also program and therefore find open source systems more 'proper' and 'right' in the way there is full disclosure of program behavior.

Xbehave
January 24th, 2008, 02:37 PM
i ticked mainstream but im somewhere between hardcore and mainstream
I find stalman anoying, if hed just finished his OS then he can take all the hardcore guys off and leave linux to move along
im a gpl2 guy not a gpl3 one, the license shouldn't limit you it should just guarantee that people can see how youve 'improved' the code

I will use proprietry software when i need to but will try anything to use OSS instead
But i dont see a problem with people using proprietry software or DRM if it suits THEIR needs

i think the 'hardcore' guys give linux a bad name and hope that people move on to GNU/hurd asap

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I guess I'm a bargain hunter.

I don't have a passionate hate for Microsoft. I don't like some of their tactics, but I don't hate them. I'm not a FLOSS activist at all. I like the idea when it works, but I don't have any qualms about using proprietary stuff if need be. And I don't have any problem with someone deciding to develop proprietary software. I don't need to get my grubby hands on everyone's code.

So I guess bargain hunter is the only category that fits. I do appreciate what people have been willing to do for me by creating Free Software. I guess we wouldn't have that if there weren't activists.

ARhere
January 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I see a similarity between M$ haters and Activist, as someone can become an Activist by adopting a mentality of "...us against the large corporate machine".

With this in mind I am a 5.) Mainstream Advocates mixes with two tablespoons of 5.) The Activists and a dash of 7.) MS Hater.

As stated above, I believe there is a place for everything. Operating systems, the kernel at least, SHOULD be free (beer and speech) but allow companies to develop interfaces, like X-windows and Gnome, to charge for it's use as long as it is free (as in speech). Other programs, such as games, should use a core that is free (speech) but the rest is proprietary and paid for. Any software should be free (as in beer) whenever an engineer feels like sharing something he has done with others, which a lot of us do! ;-)

Just my $0.02 as I know others disagree. :popcorn: -AR

ice60
January 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
i'm closest to 4. people who think all software should be free are wrong, they can drop dead for all i care.

EDIT: actually, i can see that could upset some SF people, i just think people should be able to pick which licence their software uses, that's all. i do think the FSF is wrong not to think that, but i don't have what it takes to have a flame war on a forum lol, i wish i did, but i'm not passionate enough about software licences.

gn2
January 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I started using Linux because I wanted to eventually get off the Microsoft driven OS and hardware upgrade merry-go-round.
This has happened sooner than anticipated, I had been intending keeping Xp until support ended, but I have removed it.

I currently use Linux because I find it better suited to my needs.

I don't hate Microsoft, I just have no need of their products anymore.
With one exception, I still use Hotmail.

I do try to make others aware of the existence of this viable alternative which all of us enjoy,without being too pushy.

I started as a bargain hunter, but now I'm a mainstream advocate.

dgray_from_dc
January 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Mainstream with a tickle of Microsoft Hater.

Sorry if this becomes a bit of a rant.

I have been thoroughly turned of by Microsoft and the fact that you have to pay for the hardware you purchase to actually perform its intended function when using their OS and many of the apps.

I don't like buying a DVD-ROM drive and spending money to get the WMP extension to actually play a DVD. If it's a media player, should it not play media out of the box?

I don't want to have to buy Microsoft Plus so that I can get colors other than green & blue or silver on XP.

I like Linux because there is choice. I won't however limit my computing experience out of stubborn Anti-Microsoft sentiment. Generally, when Microsoft does something, they set a benchmark that with time, Open Source surpasses and/or diversifies. I try to stick with open source, but if I can't, Windows will do.

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't like buying a DVD-ROM drive and spending money to get the WMP extension to actually play a DVD. If it's a media player, should it not play media out of the box?
To be fair, though. In the U.S., you have to do that for Linux, too. Unless you do it illegally with libdvdcss like everyone does. But you can do it illegally in Windows, too.

But usually when you buy a DVD drive, it comes with software to play DVD's. You must have been unlucky.

Pekkalainen
January 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Im a libertarian that belives a free market benefits us all.

ExpatPaul
January 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I probably fall mainly into the Mainstream Advocates camp - I use Free Software as far as possible, but I do have a restricted device driver for my graphics card - but also have some Open Source Programmer aspirations.