PDA

View Full Version : What will you do when Breezy is released?

23meg
September 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM
When the big day comes, what exactly will you do? I'm planning to do my best to hose my current Breezy installation by experimenting to extremes with all kinds of configuration and following the updates tightly, and then do a fresh install when the official release is out. I have an irrational belief in fresh installs that i can't shake.

mstlyevil
September 21st, 2005, 04:21 AM
I still dual boot so I have all my important data on XP. I will reinstall and continue the Linux learning process.

Strangerdave
September 21st, 2005, 04:25 AM
I am unsure of what to do. I mean, if I just upgrade, will the look and feel of Ubuntu that I have created be affected? If so I wonder how? I don't have too much on my linux drive, so I am leaning towards a fresh install. That does mean I will have to tweak the look once again, but the more I do that, the more I learn so in the end, that is the most important aspect to me.

-SD-

jyank
September 21st, 2005, 04:30 AM
I've already done a dist-upgrade, I couldn't wait. I was originally going to do a fresh install when it went stable, but I've come to attached to the way I have things working/looking right now, I don't want to lose it so I'll most likely just stick with what I have now.

Ride Jib
September 21st, 2005, 04:36 AM
I've already done dist-upgrade this past week on my laptop, and it f'd things up good. I won't be touching Breezy for at least a month after release

papangul
September 21st, 2005, 04:44 AM
Someone has voted for "Stay with Hoary". May I ask why?

Galoot
September 21st, 2005, 04:55 AM
I voted dist-upgrade but, as a newb, I'm a bit nervous about it. I already goofed by putting everything on one partition, so I'll be sure to back up what I can first so I can do a fresh install if the upgrade doesn't work out.

But I'll probably wait 'til November do anything, simply because I'm a nervous Nellie.

Someone has voted for "Stay with Hoary". May I ask why?Why not? Not everyone feels a need to be on the bleeding edge. If it works, why mess with it?

a8o
September 21st, 2005, 04:59 AM
I voted dist-upgrade but, as a newb, I'm a bit nervous about it. I already goofed by putting everything on one partition, so I'll be sure to back up what I can first so I can do a fresh install if the upgrade doesn't work out.

But I'll probably wait 'til November do anything, simply because I'm a nervous Nellie.

Why not? Not everyone feels a need to be on the bleeding edge. If it works, why mess with it?

It doesn't work 100% yet...linux has a long way to go.

mrtaber
September 21st, 2005, 06:00 AM
I'll do a dist-upgrade. I run Ubuntu (and Windows XP Pro) under VMWare; RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS is the host operating system.

Mark :)

karuptdata
September 21st, 2005, 06:03 AM
For myself at home and at my office we plan on doing fresh install...Nothing like the smell of a fresh cup of Ubuntu....LOL :)

matthew
September 21st, 2005, 06:03 AM
But if it works on that person's hardware and does precisely what they need it to do there is no reason for that person to upgrade.

Hobbsee
September 21st, 2005, 07:09 AM
But if it works on that person's hardware and does precisely what they need it to do there is no reason for that person to upgrade.
fresh install.

And until then, i'll test out my system with all the bleeding edge apps that arent in the repositories, learning how to install .deb's, etc

I did a dist-upgrade a while ago - it was very slow...then switched back to hoary. I dont have that many settings to customise again, and am sure i've tried many programs that I wont use again.

A question though: If i were to have /home on a separate partition, and leave the home partition and format the rest, what happens with the configuration settings for the programs I dont install again on breezy? Will they just sit there and not do anything, or should I somehow remove them?

benplaut
September 21st, 2005, 07:17 AM
frsh install... i already have :)

Goober
September 21st, 2005, 07:21 AM
I am undecided, actually. I would prefer to simply do a new install with Breezy, since I think the dist-upgrade I did from Warty to hoary made things a bit slower, but, at the same time, Installing takes a bit of time.

I have some kind of a plan to partition my Linux HD, put Breezy on one partition, keep Hoary on the other, then move all my files from Hoary to Breezy, and delete or reformat my Hoary partition, but that sounds long and complicated. I am undecided. Will my plan work, does anybody know?

Also, is there any proof that a dist-upgrade slows your system down as opposed to a total install?

benplaut
September 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM
I am undecided, actually. I would prefer to simply do a new install with Breezy, since I think the dist-upgrade I did from Warty to hoary made things a bit slower, but, at the same time, Installing takes a bit of time.

I have some kind of a plan to partition my Linux HD, put Breezy on one partition, keep Hoary on the other, then move all my files from Hoary to Breezy, and delete or reformat my Hoary partition, but that sounds long and complicated. I am undecided. Will my plan work, does anybody know?

Also, is there any proof that a dist-upgrade slows your system down as opposed to a total install?

it's called having /home on a seperate partition, and mounting it as /home in both distros :wink:

poofyhairguy
September 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
Fresh install, except for my desktop that runs Breezy now.

agger
September 21st, 2005, 08:30 AM
For myself at home and at my office we plan on doing fresh install...Nothing like the smell of a fresh cup of Ubuntu....LOL :)

I'm going to backup my /home and then do a dist-upgrade - first of all, because I want to try it out, and secondly, because I installed a lot of programs I don't want to lose and have to reinstall.

ssck
September 21st, 2005, 08:42 AM
i would like to do a dist-upgrade but am concerned for things breaking .... :-k

Kvark
September 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
I'll do a fresh install. Because I've installed and tried a lot of programs that I can't even remember anymore. To leave a lot of programs that I forgot about laying around on the hard drive feels like leaving empty coke cans plus pizza boxes laying around on the floor. Tracking them all down to uninstall them would take way too long. So to wipe the hard drive and reinstall what I still use is the easiest way to clean up.

Paool
September 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Nothing like the smell of a fresh cup of Ubuntu....LOL :)
I have the same feelings :D

fresh install too :)

A-star
September 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
I will make a dual boot and try to simulate my existing hoary config in breezy.
After I'm sure that everything works like it should, I will upgrade.

zenwhen
September 21st, 2005, 11:27 AM

That comment was not relative to this topic.

I will be doing a dist-upgrade on my then-freshly-backed-up production machine.

bob_c_b
September 21st, 2005, 11:36 AM
I'll back up my /home partition and do a fresh, I've gotten comfortable with Deb/Ubuntu ways of doing things so a clean install shouldn't take long.

linbetwin
September 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'll do a fresh install of Breezy, although I have the Preview now. I'm on dual-boot too and I'm still tied to XP for the moment.

Btw, does anybody know how to install Ubuntu from an NTFS hard drive? I can extract the files from the ISO image using Nero ImageDrive, but I don't know how to install from hdd.

Lux Perpetua
September 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM
On the DAY Breezy is released, I will not do anything. I reckon a lot of people are going to install it very soon after the release, which means a lot of testers. I'll wait a little while to see if any major bugs pop up, and then when they get fixed I'll switch to Breezy. I know, I know: Lame. But my Hoary works well enough that I hesitate to replace it with something unless I'm pretty sure it'll work just as well. I'm leaning toward a fresh install for pretty much the same reason as Kvark. At this point, not being on the bleeding edge doesn't bother me.

gw90se
September 21st, 2005, 02:22 PM
I had just started with Ubuntu (Warty) when Hoary was about to be released. I did a dist-upgrade and did not notice any problems. I did end up doing a fresh install, but that was due to other learning/playing problems. As someone else has stated, I'll do a freshh back up of /home and perform an dist-upgrade. If all is well, I'm good. If not, I'll do a fresh install. I'll also wait a couple of weekes to see what the masses say.

bob_c_b
September 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM

Long way to what? Perhaps you should read this... read it, learn it, love it! (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) :grin: If you need help just ask...

Had I not tweaked and expiramented so much on my current config I would do an upgrade, but I suspect my handy work will break first. The upgrade is likely not broken for most people.

macgyver2
September 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM
I dist-upgraded when Preview came out. So what am I gonna do when Breezy officially comes out? Order a cubic butt-ton of CDs (seriously, that should be a ship-it option :) ) and pick up where I left off distributing Hoary CDs.

gray-squirrel
September 21st, 2005, 04:10 PM
I will do a dist-upgrade at first. If I ever get around to backing up my music and important documents on my Windows partitions, and if Windows ME gets along fine inside QEMU, my /home directory will also be backed up and then I'll wipe everything off and do a fresh install with no Windows partitions.

I didn't have problems with dist-upgrade to 5.04, so going to 5.10 should be a snap.

XDevHald
September 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Do a fresh install reason why is because the applications from colony 4 are not going to be stable enough to run on the new release because of package version and build. I'd rather enjoy a crisp desktop than a buggy one :D

Freddy
September 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Hmm to few answers to your poll, I have already installed the preview of the Kubuntu realese of Breezy Badger, so maybe both the first and the second aswer is correct for me. I did a fresh install but I will update to the final when it comes. /// Freddan

Kyral
September 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Fresh Install server style. Been planning on this for months.

Then one month later dist-upgrade to Dapper so I can help out :D-

Ubunted
September 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
I will download the ISO and then probably wait a few days and seed it like crazy over Bittorrent and chew up some bandwidth. Gotta spread the love.

Then, fresh install. I've spent the last 6 months learning, installing and tweaking Ubuntu to my liking and now it's time to get stable with it and try using it for a solid 6 months without a reinstall.

Also, I noticed no difference when I tried this install with Reiser vs ext3 except that it takes a bit longer to boot, so I'm going back to ext3.

emperor
September 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
I'll install Breezy and leave Hoary for now as it will take a few weeks to configure Breezy so I have everything works as before. During the config, I can then still boot Hoary to get my work done! Since I have apt pointed at backports on Hoary, I am hesitant to try a dist-upgrade. I also had to download kernel source and tweek it to get DMA working on my i9300 laptop. It is unkown to me at this time if the DMA problem will exist on Breezy as well. The live-preview does run now on the i9300 but you can not pull the CD out and put a DVD in the drive to test the DMA.

Lovechild
September 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM
wait for Dapper repos to be opened, then start the fun all over again.

bearbigears
September 21st, 2005, 07:57 PM
just ordered my copies of breezy and when i get them i will do a fresh install. but it is a good idea to wait for the repros first.

xequence
September 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Ill probably whipe the hard drive except for my safe partition, and install breezy. SInce I FINALLY have a vmware .deb ill install windows in it. Ill go into openbox so it uses very few system resources and run windows in full screen mode to use it ;)

Curlydave
September 21st, 2005, 09:37 PM
I still dual boot so I have all my important data on XP. I will reinstall and continue the Linux learning process.

Same. Right now, realizing that I'm going to reformat my Linux partition soon anyhow I've been messing around with KDE etc. (Not sure I'm too fond of KDE just yet; seems a little cluttered.)

rwabel
September 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
I'm already on fresh installation of breezy preview. But I did a dist-upgrade from warty to hoary. Then I wanted to dist-upgrade from hoary to breezy and I messed it up a bit. So I told me to start from scratch and have fresh installation. At least I got rid of much unwanted stuff from my old hoary.

I'll also try out after some weeks the next release on another partition. I just like the new stuff :-)

Ubunted
September 22nd, 2005, 12:21 AM
I just tried a dist-upgrade to Breezy today and X would not start. Regardless of its unstable status, the experience left a sour taste in my mouth, especially after the pure agony that was trying to install Java without jre in the backport repos after going back to Hoary.

I'll still seed Breezy and get myself a nice share ratio, but I think I'll be sticking with Hoary for a while yet so I can calm down.

mark
September 22nd, 2005, 01:06 AM
I did clean installs when both Warty and Hoary went "gold". This time, I'm gonna try a dist-upgrade and see how it works - after I back up my /home partition...

occy8
September 22nd, 2005, 04:06 AM
I'll do a clean install too, but only because I'm on dial up at the moment.
If not I would dist-upgrade to see how it goes. if it doesn't work I could always do a clean install later on.

PatrickMay16
September 22nd, 2005, 04:12 AM
I voted "Stay with Hoary". The reason is, I only got Hoary installed and working two days ago, and I've got it just how I want it now. It'd be a bit of a pain to get Breezy and do a fresh install so soon after getting this how I like it.

papangul
September 22nd, 2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the reply, now I understand :) .

drizek
September 22nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
I voted "Stay with Hoary". The reason is, I only got Hoary installed and working two days ago, and I've got it just how I want it now. It'd be a bit of a pain to get Breezy and do a fresh install so soon after getting this how I like it.

if you do dist-upgrade, it keeps all your installed apps and settings. it will just basically upgrade all the packages to the breezy versions.

leonardovcr
September 22nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
I've done a dist-upgrade today. Couldn't wait for a fully working ALSA for my notebook.
I ran into an X trouble, but that was easily fixed with a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

student
September 22nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
I guess I'll do a fresh install.
I've been using only breezy since the day it was opened, and i've liked it all the time.
But a fresh install seems to be completely different when done once and a while, then just upgrading...

lucifeer
September 22nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
I will put on my "Ölhävar Rock"-cd and do a fresh install while pouring the beer down woho :o

betamax
September 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
I've done a dist-upgrade on my work system, the whole procedure ran through great. I did the same on my laptop and have had a few nagging problems.

The best option in my book is a fresh install, the downside is of course data-backup-hell.

MetalMusicAddict
September 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Find the DVD.iso and download it. ;)

DirtDawg
September 22nd, 2005, 07:05 PM

I'll answer this one too. My little imac that houses Hoary is not connected to the net and has no cd burner. So I'd have to do a fresh install and back all my files onto Zip Disks (remember those?).
Besides, everything but the sound works great. When I find something that won't install or doesn't work, or if I hear Breezy vastly improves things, I'll probably switch it up.

Stormy Eyes
September 22nd, 2005, 07:15 PM

So does Windows.

/just got the BSOD at work.

canadianwriterman
September 22nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Clean is better -- it'll be a fresh install for me!

Like some of the other Linux newbees here, I don't have a lot on my Linux drive. During the two weeks I've been using the Breezy preview, I've spent lots of time learning, fixing things, customizing and downloading and trying applications to replace all my old ******* programs. But, I found that I did many of these things the hard way until I learned better ways through these wonderful forums. And, many of the applications I downloaded were to try out. For example, I downloaded three different graphical HTML editors and have selected the one that I like best. When I do my fresh install, customizing will be quicker, many of the fixes have already been fixed, and I'll only download the applications I've chosen as my favourites.

I've tried Xandros, Linspire, Knoppix and SUSE and I have to say that, when I open and use Ubuntu, I feel like I've put on a pair of comfortable slippers and am sitting in front of the fireplace at home. The look and feel, the fact that most everything "just works," the support from folks like you and, most importantly, the Ubuntu philosophy fit me perfectly. After all, where can you find a piece of technology that is not only practical, productive and useful, but also satisfies the philosphical, Humanistic side of you?

To paraphrase a popular credit card commercial here is Canada: Windows XP, $249. Xandros Deluxe, $89. Ubuntu, priceless.