PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft To Reorganize

mstlyevil
September 21st, 2005, 03:22 AM
Looks like Google has Microsoft running scared right now.

Microsoft To Reorganize (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122631,00.asp)

I am sure though that Microsoft will probally do Google like they did Netscape.

Here is Another Link (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+reorg+a+bulwark+against+Google/2100-1016_3-5875411.html?tag=nl)

zenwhen
September 21st, 2005, 03:30 AM
Microsoft killed Netscape by bundling IE free with Windows. They already bundle MSN search with Windows. Everyone still uses Google. I really don't think they can beat Google. They have all the money in the world and MSN search is still worthless.

drizek
September 21st, 2005, 03:37 AM
when will MS learn that their problem is not the structure of their company but the fact tht their products suck?

I guess its hard for them to get away from bad habits though. They have a very long history of crappy well-advertised software and they have been very successful. it will come back to bite them in the ass though, they cannot escape it.

mstlyevil
September 21st, 2005, 03:43 AM
when will MS learn that their problem is not the structure of their company but the fact tht their products suck?

I guess its hard for them to get away from bad habits though. They have a very long history of crappy well-advertised software and they have been very successful. it will come back to bite them in the ass though, they cannot escape it.

In theory, the stucture could lead to inferior products by stiffling creativity.

drizek
September 21st, 2005, 04:56 AM
In theory, the stucture could lead to inferior products by stiffling creativity.

thats true, but its not the whole story. its not just about the quality of their product anymore. They have lost the trust and the prestige that they had around the time windows 95 was released. I doubt any linux users actually use msn or encarta or their other services. there are equal/better alternatives out there and in general id say most linux users would prefer to not use MS's products or have anything to do with MS at all. Even non-linux users dislike MS and prefer to use services by google which is not seen as an evil monopoly the same way MS is.

MS just doesnt understand the fact that not everyone has to use windows. they might have split into three divisions, but they are still one company and they all compliment each other. the windows division will not support the msn division providing services for non-ms platforms. pigs will fly when we see an msn desktop search for linux. a google one is much more liekly, although not a very good idea for google. there already are two well-made open source apps for linux that do the same thing, and google wont gain much market share by supporting linux. however, i wouldnt be surprised to see google earth 3d running on linux in the near future. and then we have things like google talk vs msn. msn needs to be reverse engineered, google uses an open format. Gtalk instantly supports all mahor OS's very well in the future we will begin to see live chat support in kopete gaim. how likely is it for MS to make the msn IM protocol open source?

they are very stubborn and their goal is to take over the world. they want people to run windows, use msn to search the web and then go to websites running on windows servers. google does not have this greed(yet) and that is why they will come out on top with this one.

poofyhairguy
September 21st, 2005, 08:11 AM
As long as Ballmer is on top, the thing that needs to change the most about MS hasn't yet.

Kvark
September 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
Gillett expects that more technology providers will try to find ways to incorporate services into software products. For example, Microsoft could embed monitoring code in a client's Windows server software that would alert Microsoft to problems that could be fixed remotely.
Adding a built in troyan, what a brilliant idea! :roll:

I think it's a good idea to split it up into several smaller divisions. That company is way too big to make focused efforts, to manage effectively or to take fast decisions. But those 3 divisions will also be too big so they'll just be back in the same situation.

Spoofhound
September 21st, 2005, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Gillett expects that more technology providers will try to find ways to incorporate services into software products. For example, Microsoft could embed monitoring code in a client's Windows server software that would alert Microsoft to problems that could be fixed remotely.

This is not an expectation - this is already part of the strategy. Its already something that large clients can have (and want). The goal for Microsoft is to shift from a more reactive form of support (i.e. fix it when it breaks) to proactive support. This is more cost effective and in theory, improves customer satisfaction. So will this be the way they will go - more remote control, more monitoring and management of MS environments? Count on it.

xequence
September 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM
I saw this on CNBC. They said it was to combat google and the linux movement...

They really just cant beat google unless they unleashed something super amazing... And linux certainly isnt going away anytime soon.

If they want to beat anyone they have to, simply, make a better product. MSN virtual earth is horrible compared to google maps. ON google maps I saw an exact building in toronto I wanted to see, and msn virutal earth only got to see the whole city.

BWF89
September 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
Microsoft Tuesday unveiled a major realignment of its company structure into three new divisions, each of which will have its own president.
Three smaller divisions is more efficient than one big one.

That's why countries have local and state governments instead of just 1 big federal one.

xequence
September 21st, 2005, 09:25 PM
Three smaller divisions is more efficient than one big one.

That's why countries have local and state governments instead of just 1 big federal one.

But how efficent are governments? Not very. BUt I do aggree, it will be better for them. But the thing is, thats not their problem... Their problem is a bad product/ballmer.

KingBahamut
September 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=67840

you need to read mini-microsofts blog entry and the comments with it.