PDA

View Full Version : i wanta no what kind of user i am

Kedster
January 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
i wanna no if im a power user
i like to learn how to install and learn to do stuff with teminal but mainly use gui i try to help on the forums and i do lots of you tubing and i msn alot and i like to get things to work when they dont when sumthin doesent work i wanna figure out how to fix it buy eiather playin around or posting and i try to cod but realy rnt that great at al i also love to change and play around with what the gui looks like (gui and themes gnome kde and xfce plus lots of time on gnome look .

so i was wondering if im a power user a hacker (i ont think so) or a artist or maybe a mild user or just a plain uneducated user

Fanless_Puppy_Fan
January 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM
i wanna no if im a power user
i like to learn how to install and learn to do stuff with teminal but mainly use gui i try to help on the forums and i do lots of you tubing and i msn alot and i like to get things to work when they dont when sumthin doesent work i wanna figure out how to fix it buy eiather playin around or posting and i try to cod but realy rnt that great at al i also love to change and play around with what the gui looks like (gui and themes gnome kde and xfce plus lots of time on gnome look .

so i was wondering if im a power user a hacker (i ont think so) or a artist or maybe a mild user or just a plain uneducated user

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that you should be spending more time listening to your 7th grade English teacher than working on the computer. The computer is a very technical device that requires strict attention to detail - sort of like the English language and grammar.

Your post is virtually indecipherable.

zero-9376
January 24th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I would think that like me you would likely have been considered a power user under windows (im the local tech support guy for my family and everyone they know) but with linux there is a whole new level of power user. Having done my thesis which involved using linux via the CLI only, compiling my own kernel [ a few times :( ] and writing some pretty extensive bash and python scripts I still don't consider myself a power user and I've even used straight debian!!!

Power users on Linux are at a whole new level hang out in the irc channel for a little while and you will see there are some very knowledgable people in there. There are people in the world of linux who LIKE to compile things themsleves and actually understand the options they have enabled in xorg.conf to enable compiz, people who don't know how to use gui cased configuration tools because it never occured to them to look when they can do it all faster from the command line. People who talk in regular expressions.

EDIT: By the way while the spelling in your post is bad however I must say that I find it quite easy to understand and I think people need to realise that times are changing, the internet provides a new medium for communication and there is more emphasis on getting the message across then the syntax used to do so. What's more people need to be aware that there are those who may not be able to spell. My brother, for example, was born with a speech impediment which effected his learning and as such his spelling is atrocious. When he asked me to check over his speech for his wedding I straight away started correcting the spelling of most of the words before realising that I understood perfectly what he had written and that correcting it would make it more difficult for him. I think people should relax a little and criticise less.

Thanoulis
January 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that you should be spending more time listening to your 7th grade English teacher than working on the computer. The computer is a very technical device that requires strict attention to detail - sort of like the English language and grammar.

Your post is virtually indecipherable.

I couldn't agree more!

Also, there are no Power Users, Power Rangers and stuff like that...:p
There are two kind of people: those who use their computer and those who their computer uses them... :)

LaRoza
January 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
No, you are not a power user.

How to be a hacker (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html) (Read the basic hacking skills too, at the end)

Geekkit
January 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think people need to realise that times are changing, the internet provides a new medium for communication and there is more emphasis on getting the message across then the syntax used to do so.

Try finding a job with spelling/grammar like that and I think you'll find yourself quickly limited by the lack of opportunities presented to you. Computer technology is no excuse for abandoning correct grammar and spelling.

Edit: As well, software compilers require strict attention to the programming language's grammar and syntax so as a programmer attention to correctness is just as important.

zero-9376
January 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I understand that there are situations where correctness is a necessity but this is a community forum and the post was neither a job application or piece of code.

With regards to employment yes there are certainly positions where poor written communication skills will be detrimental but I personally know a lot of smart technically minded people including a few programmers who are rather poor at communicating both in writing and to some extend verbally. During collaborative projects with students from my own and other disciplines I was often shocked at what I considered to be the poor standard of writing and spelling my peers presented as completed assignments but the technical content was there, the message came through and our lecturers could more than adequately comprehend.

Not everyone has been educated in how to write effectively/correctly, some people don't 'get it' even after being taught and some have problems which may prevent them from ever doing so. I found the OPs post to be perfectly legible and I think we should be encouraging communication and collaboration here rather than offering only criticism which discourages those things we should be trying to foster, this is a forum after all.

Lord Illidan
January 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Don't forget that not everybody has English as a native language, so the above post may be quite indecipherable to these people. Also, Firefox does have a spellchecker.

EDIT : Without realising it..this has a double meaning.

1st. Don't be too harsh on grammar, etc.
2nd. Try and be as correct as you can, so everyone can understand what you're saying.

As for power-user, or not, can't really say, sorry. Definitions of a power user change according to different people. My late granddad who barely knew how to use Windows XP would have considered you a power user. Linus Torvalds would think of you as an uneducated one :D EDIT : No offense meant, of course. What's important is what you think of yourself, and what you want to become.

Samhain13
January 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM
What's more people need to be aware that there are those who may not be able to spell.

Or are used to spelling words using a different character set and/or are used different rules on punctuation and even reading direction. :)

Let us not be too harsh.

Kedster
January 25th, 2008, 03:46 AM
i really don't no if i should take offense or eb embarrassed, im a near straight A grade 9 student and i was just wondering what type of user i was i didnt think i was a power user but i dint think i was a nagalagent user either so i thought id ask what i could clarify when posting but i gues the only one who actually tried to answer what i seid was Zero and lord lllidan

and the reason it suck with grammar is cuz im a teen and i talk a lot on msn and sorry to say it but when im doing quick posts at 11:00 after STUDYING all night for my first set of high school exams i tend to not care about grammar plus like zero said the world is changing.

ps if i were a new user and had this experience i wouldn't be coming back to this forum any time soon> wich might have made me go back to M$ crap

tlcoffee
January 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Ouch.

I'm going to agree with the fellow above about two types of users:

1. People who use a computer.
2. People who get used by a computer.

As for your spelling...man, you need to work on that seriously. You'll never make it in cli if you keep that up and forget about shell scripting or programming of any sort until you get it situated.

It may seem rude but bro, its the truth.

i really don't no if i should take offense or eb embarrassed

Don't be either my friend. To tell you the truth, I use spell check ALL the time and I believe I'm a pretty smart fella. Two degrees, 12 years in IT consulting + I'm a programmer...you'd think I would know better but hey, I type fast and I gotta make corrections but in reality, if you don't present yourself professionally (correct spelling & grammar) then your in for a difficult time and you'll end up being a slow programmer...which is exactly what I am. A slow programmer because I have to go back and make corrections for all my stupid little typing mistakes.

Lord Illidan
January 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
i really don't no if i should take offense or eb embarrassed, im a near straight A grade 9 student and i was just wondering what type of user i was i didnt think i was a power user but i dint think i was a nagalagent user either so i thought id ask what i could clarify when posting but i gues the only one who actually tried to answer what i seid was Zero and lord lllidan

and the reason it suck with grammar is cuz im a teen and i talk a lot on msn and sorry to say it but when im doing quick posts at 11:00 after STUDYING all night for my first set of high school exams i tend to not care about grammar plus like zero said the world is changing.

ps if i were a new user and had this experience i wouldn't be coming back to this forum any time soon> wich might have made me go back to M$ crap

Hey, I'm a teen too, and I also talk a lot on msn, and what more, I am also studying for my exams. It costs me 0 effort to type correctly, and hopefully, any English speaker can understand me.

And if you want to program or use the cli, you better spell correctly.

freebeer
January 26th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Also, Firefox does have a spellchecker.

Trussed knot yur werk too spel chequers. :twisted:

stratavarious
January 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Kedster
January 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
the thin is that this is not an English class i dont need to have proper grammar i just want to come one here ask a QUICK question and have a conversation. i dont want to come of a a duch but most ppl in the world use slang and dont use grammer when they have an audio conversation so why should it be so different in a typed conversation.

when i write a letter or a resume or a story or even code (in what code i do) i use proper grammar. but when i come just to talk i try to get the point across as easy and quick as possible.

ohh and the reason i wanted to categorize what type of user i am is for a friend that was wondering and i thought to my self and said i really dont know so i saught to find the answer here

azimuth
January 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM
the thin is that this is not an English class i dont need to have proper grammar i just want to come one here ask a QUICK question and have a conversation. i dont want to come of a a duch but most ppl in the world use slang and dont use grammer when they have an audio conversation so why should it be so different in a typed conversation.

You have asked a straightforward question, just why should it be so different here?

This is an English speaking forum, but it is also an international forum. Many users of this forum do not speak English as their native language. The only hope of not reducing this forum to a "tower of Babble" is to use mostly proper and formal English. Even among the English speaking nations, there are many local dialects and their own native slang. By avoiding sloppy grammar and slang, you will be able to express yourself in a manner that is understood by ALL of the users here, not just your homeys in your neighborhood or your buddies on MSN Messenger.

But what the hell do I know? I've spent 60 years forgetting everything I once learned.

Whiffle
January 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I for one am much MUCH more likely to reply with what might qualify as help to a post that doesn't take me 10 minutes to decipher. You can use all the mangled english you like, but it'll hurt your chances of actually receiving help, at least from me anyway. Its easy to tell the difference between second language english (which I don't have a problem with), and flat out carelessness.

As far as what kind of user...who cares? A user is a user. If someone asks me, my reply would probably be "I've been using linux for this long and I know my way around"

walkerk
January 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM

when i write a letter or a resume or a story or even code (in what code i do) i use proper grammar. but when i come just to talk i try to get the point across as easy and quick as possible.

ohh and the reason i wanted to categorize what type of user i am is for a friend that was wondering and i thought to my self and said i really dont know so i saught to find the answer here

9th grade? Are you sure?

Not only is grammar incorrect but spelling is as well. "saught" should be "sought" ... same amount of characters...

It is hard for others to help if you cut corners on spelling and grammar... we won't all continue to read...

LaRoza
January 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM
the [sic]thin is that this is not an English class [sic]i [sic]dont need to have proper grammar [sic]i just want to come one here ask a QUICK question and have a conversation. [sic]i j[sic]dont want to come [sic]of [sic]a [sic]a [sic]duch but most [sic]ppl in the world use slang and [sic]dont use grammer when they have an audio conversation so why should it be so different in a typed conversation [sic].

[sic]when [sic]i write a letter or a [sic]resume or a story or even code (in what code [sic]i do) [sic]i use proper grammar. but when [sic]i come just to talk [sic]i try to get the point across as [sic]easy and [sic]quick as possible.

[sic]ohh and the reason [sic]i wanted to categorize what type of user [sic]i am is for a friend [sic]that was wondering and [sic]i thought to [sic]my self and said [sic]i really [sic]dont know so [sic]i [sic]saught to find the answer here

Getting the point across "quick and easy as possible" means communicating clearly. Everyone makes typographical errors from time to time, but if we have to read your posts like uncommented code, then something is wrong.

Your posts are hard to understand. There are some people on this forum who have dyslexia, yet almost never have errors. One in particular I know goes over his posts until the are correct before submitting. You don't have to do that, but you should try to take the time to use the edit box and make a good post. In instant messages, you usually don't have that luxury; here you do.

It takes me time to read your posts, time I'd rather doing something else.

Deuz Ex Machina
January 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Don't be either my friend. To tell you the truth, I use spell check ALL the time and I believe I'm a pretty smart fella. Two degrees, 12 years in IT consulting + I'm a programmer...you'd think I would know better but hey, I type fast and I gotta make corrections but in reality, if you don't present yourself professionally (correct spelling & grammar) then your in for a difficult time and you'll end up being a slow programmer...which is exactly what I am. A slow programmer because I have to go back and make corrections for all my stupid little typing mistakes.

Its when you get up there in level, where you begin to forget the small stuff :D

Lord Illidan
January 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I quote from the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) :

Please strive to communicate with other users as effectively as possible:
Please try to write your posts in English unless you are participating in a Loco Forum, where you are permitted to use another language if it is in common use in that Loco Forum and understood by the Loco Forum staff. We have many users from many different countries that visit here and English is the common language of these forums.
When writing a post, please space paragraphs with a blank line in between them for better readability.
Please do not write posts in all uppercase letters, as it looks as if you are screaming at the people reading your post.
Please refrain from using "leet" speak or slang.
Please do not shorten your words to acronyms or abbreviations. It is very difficult to read and understand.
Please use color and font properties for highlighting portions of your text, and not for all of the text in your post.
Typos and other errors can cause miscommunication between users on the forums, please preview your text before posting.

I'm also moving this thread to the cafe`.