PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to brush your teeth using your computer?

AsoSako
January 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Nowadays computers can do almost anything. Thinking about this a question soon came to my mind.

Is there a way to brush your teeth using your computer?

If there is I really need to know. Tell me anything about it. Anything that connects computers and the act of brushing your teeth.
And finally if there is something, I need to know if there are Linux drivers for it. :)

~LoKe
January 24th, 2008, 02:31 AM
No.

What's wrong with you?

aidanr
January 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Well of course there is silly. (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030222/etc_habrashi.html)

inversekinetix
January 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM
the picture reads

'its not like battery powered, its super hi power, you can use it for 'this' and 'that' '

i think the 'that' is a rude joke.

it says something about com-3 port too, but i cant make out the characters, its too light.

AsoSako
January 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM

inversekinetix
January 24th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Nice. I have always found Japan awesome, but this is just amazing. :D

appearances can be deceptive

AsoSako
January 24th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Let's get back on topic. I need more "Computer - Brushing your teeth" related material.

Nano Geek
January 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Exactly why may I ask?

Æniad
January 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Be careful there, that may sound insulting to the OP. Read the CoC;)

I'm hoping the OP is able to take a joke. No true insult is intended.

zero-9376
January 24th, 2008, 06:50 AM
im sure you could wire up a motor to the 5 volts from the usb for power and then use a small control board to connect to the computer via the parallel port stick a brushy bit on the end and off you go.

have a look here for more info on parallel ports and connecting circuits to them:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
have a look at pyparallel for info on controlling the the parallel port from linux:
http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyparallel.html
(note you will have to rmmod lp and modpobe ppdev)

Rhubarb
January 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM
You could use a left-handed dvorak keyboard layout when you're brushing your teeth.

That way one hand can brush said teeth, the other can touch type freely.

Flying caveman
January 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
put a tooth brush on the end of one of these.. http://www.lifetool.at/show_content.php?sid=218

Ub 1.0
January 24th, 2008, 07:29 AM
lol no way

argie
January 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Yes there is. Just run:

make clean

AsoSako
January 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
put a tooth brush on the end of one of these.. http://www.lifetool.at/show_content.php?sid=218

That could actually work if it was a toothbrush!

beercz
January 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Seems to me that the OP is looking for a solution to a non-existent problem. Too much time on one's hands comes to mind!

btw Why am I reading this thread? Worse, why am I replying?

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Well of course there is silly. (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030222/etc_habrashi.html)

Unbelievable! Now if you can have your web cam show your mirror image on the screen, you'll be set.

But what we really need is some kind of programmable robot arm that works through your computer. That way we could attach a toothbrush to the arm and program it to actually make the brush strokes for us.

popch
January 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Electric teethbrushes have timers so that you know when to stop brushing your teeth.

You can run the timer on your PC so that you know when to stop applying a manual toothbrush.

Some dentists instruct their patients to spend an equal amount of time brushing each of the four 'quadrants' (upper, lower, left and right hand side). You could write a program which graphically displays the part of the mouth to be cleaned along with the time allotted to do it.

:biggrin: That'd be a teeth cleaning scheduler, I suppose.

barbedsaber
January 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Electric teethbrushes have timers so that you know when to stop brushing your teeth.

You can run the timer on your PC so that you know when to stop applying a manual toothbrush.

Some dentists instruct their patients to spend an equal amount of time brushing each of the four 'quadrants' (upper, lower, left and right hand side). You could write a program which graphically displays the part of the mouth to be cleaned along with the time allotted to do it.

oh god no

dgray_from_dc
January 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
No.

What's wrong with you?

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

I almost embarrassed myself at work LMAO @ you!!!!

AsoSako
January 25th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Unbelievable! Now if you can have your web cam show your mirror image on the screen, you'll be set.

But what we really need is some kind of programmable robot arm that works through your computer. That way we could attach a toothbrush to the arm and program it to actually make the brush strokes for us.

Haha nice idea.

That will actually be quite helpfull. :D

Alpinist
January 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM
There is a recent Sci-Fi short story "Conversations with an Electric Toothbrush". You can download an audio copy from Escape Pod.

CCNA_student
January 25th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Have to wonder why anyone would want a computer to brush their teeth...

AsoSako
January 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Why wouldn't you? :D

CCNA_student
January 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I do not want a computer to do absolutely everything for me. I guess that I just feel more human when I do things for myself.

popch
January 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM

That's a straightforward application of one of Maslow's observations: To one who has a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

HermanAB
January 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Easy. Glue a tooth brush to the CD tray, then run this script:

#! /bin/bash
while [ 1 ]
do
eject
sleep 1
done

wersdaluv
January 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Wow. People here just talk about anything!

:lolflag:

AsoSako
January 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Easy. Glue a tooth brush to the CD tray, then run this script:

#! /bin/bash
while [ 1 ]
do
eject
sleep 1
done

Nice. But you should warn people that this might break your teeth...

AsoSako
January 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Wow. People here just talk about anything!

:lolflag:

Maybe that's a good thing. :D

canthus13
January 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Hmm... How about something like a Doctor's Night Guard that contains small, moving brushes to polish the individual teeth? Just pop it in your mouth, start it, and away you go. :)

Presto123
January 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Here's a picture of my creation for you. If you just cannot leave that wonderful b/w movie, but have some really rank breath, type:
sudo/brush

It's even got a handy, built-in E-Girlfriend that pops out in eye-popping 3D to remind you to brush. It can be set up to remind you at certain times by typing:
sudo/nag

Please see attachment for the wonderful product!

FYI: Yes...the pic was done reallly quickly.

AsoSako
February 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Here's a picture of my creation for you. If you just cannot leave that wonderful b/w movie, but have some really rank breath, type:
sudo/brushIt's even got a handy, built-in E-Girlfriend that pops out in eye-popping 3D to remind you to brush. It can be set up to remind you at certain times by typing:
sudo/nagPlease see attachment for the wonderful product!

FYI: Yes...the pic was done reallly quickly.
This is sweet. Strangely enough it kind of makes sense as well... :D