PDA

View Full Version : Who still uses 6.06.2?

xArv3nx
January 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Hello.

I'm thinking about "downgrading" to 6.06.2 for a more stable experience, since in Gutsy FIrefox freezes a lot (3 times in <30 minutes), and because it has a lot of bugs.

So, who here still has 6.06.2 and uses it? Is it worth it?

deltaprime
January 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM
gutsy works fine for me i love it
try to reinstall the whole os maybe that will fix a lot of your errors.

DELTA

Darkhack
January 24th, 2008, 02:52 AM
There are a lot of other browsers you could use. Opera, Epiphany, Konqueror, and many others. If you rather stick to Firefox, try installing Firefox 3 Beta 2. That's what I'm using and I've found it to be even more stable than version 2.

I think that just replacing the troublesome applications is a lot better solution that downgrading to such an old release.

y-lee
January 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I'm a Dapper user and pleased with it basically. tho I am planning on upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon soon, mostly because I've been installing it on friends machines and it seems to make things easier.

sumguy231
January 24th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Firefox freezing is probably its own fault. You might try creating a new Firefox profile to see if that helps improve performance. I can't speak for any other problems you're having with Gutsy though.

Edit: Yeah, Firefox 3 beta does seem to perform better than Firefox 2. You could also try that.

Incense
January 24th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I still run dapper. it's a great install! Going down to it though may seem a bit disappointing if you're using Gutsy. The software in dapper is nearly two years old, no auto codecs installs, and a few other differences. Before you go down to dapper, maybe you should try the official firefox release, rather then the version in the repos. Ubuntuzilla (http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/) will help you do that. Plus you'd have to come to grips with Firefox 1.5 which is in dapper.

Crashmaxx
January 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I don't know why all these Firefox issues keep coming up with Gutsy, but the problem only seems to be with the Ubuntu build. Use almost any other build, I like Swiftfox, and it should be a lot more stable.

Though Swiftfox is now using the Firefox 3 beta and has a few more crashes from that, especially with flash.

Solicitous
January 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
not sure if this helps but....I'm running gutsy, and I experience the firefox lockups. I did notice that when I installed kubuntu-desktop firefox didn't lockup under kde as it did in gnome. So if you're not against using kde and want to latest version....might be an option.

ssam
January 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
try removing the flash plugin.that can do bad things to firefox.