PDA

View Full Version : Shipping length

starwars120
September 21st, 2005, 01:53 AM
Hey this is probably right under my nose, but I am a total all out Windows user (ya, ya, let me explain [-X ) and I thought that it would be neat to try out Ubuntu. Well, I orded some CD's from the Shipit function and I can't seem to find out how long it will take for the CD's to ship on average. And, can someone pls tell me.
Thx. :)

jdong
September 21st, 2005, 02:49 AM
It typically takes several months. I'd recommend for you to have a generous friend with good bandwidth and a CD burner help you out :)

papangul
September 21st, 2005, 03:59 AM
It had taken me 6 months to receive the CD's after ordering, but it's worth the wait! Just remember two things:

1.Set http://www.ubuntuguide.org as your homepage, and one of the first thing to do is to install multimedia codecs following instructions there.
2.Don't get too upset if the default theme and wallpaper don't appear to be impressive. You can change them very easily!

Finally, in case if you are not familiar with hdd partitioning, linux filesystem etc. , it helps to do a little bit prior research. Ideally you'll need five partitions for Ubuntu, one each for swap, / , /boot , /usr , and /home .
Cheers!

blastus
September 21st, 2005, 04:13 AM
It seems to me it would be faster to download and burn off the ISO. That's what I did and I'm on 56K dialup. It takes about 40 hours but it doesn't seem that long if you let your download manager work all through the night and whenever you're not home. :)

For MS-Windows, the download manager I would recommend is Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/).

zenwhen
September 21st, 2005, 04:22 AM
I downloaded Ubuntu for the first time on dialup, myself. It wasn't fun, but I was extremely pleased with what I got. Having broadband makes life so much easier. :)

Galoot
September 21st, 2005, 05:05 AM
Well, I orded some CD's from the Shipit function and I can't seem to find out how long it will take for the CD's to ship on average. And, can someone pls tell me.
Thx. :)Can't give you an average, but it took about five weeks for me. I ordered near the beginning of August and they got here the first week of September.

blastus
September 21st, 2005, 08:39 AM
I know this is completely off topic:

A word of warning; if you live in Canada, be prepared for the possibility of being screwed by incompetent Canadian Customs officials. I've had so many screwed up packages from them it's not funny...everything from wildly incorrect duty and tax calculation, wildly incorrect currency conversion, incorrectly reading a clearly written declared value (everything from not seeing the decimal point to thinking a $ sign is a 4), pull-a-number-out-of-a-hat declared value adjustments, to saying they opened a package when they didn't. On top of that your package will also sit at a CCRA center for two weeks to a month before they decide to process it. Don't be surprised if they take a look at the CD and say "hey this looks like it's worth $25" and charge you duty and taxes on it because it is not a gift and is over $20 C.D.N.

Galoot
September 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM
I know this is completely off topic:

A word of warning; if you live in Canada, be prepared for the possibility of being screwed by incompetent Canadian Customs officials.
Many of these things have happened to me. OTOH, be prepared for it not to happen, too. Like any bureaucracy in any government, it's a crap-shoot. I had no problems with my last Ubuntu shipment (of 10 CDs).

joaoeb
September 21st, 2005, 08:22 PM
Here in Brazil it took 3 to 4 weeks. The box was totally destroyed. But the CDs arrived in one piece. The box was more tape than paper, at least they (the customs) tried to repair it (I think). :grin:

And my second shipment arrived with - 50 CDs. But hey, apparently even the custom officials liked Ubuntu. ;-)