PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Mac OSX

PartisanEntity
January 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
The last time I used a Mac was some 10 years ago at school.

Soon (March) I will be getting a Macbook in order to start a BA in Multimedia Arts, I don't have a choice really, it's included in the tuition fees.

So some questions:

What major similarities and differences are there between Linux based OS's such as Ubuntu and Mac? I mean handling and usage-wise.

Does Mac OSX need a firewall, and does it come with one?

Is there ever a need to use the command line? (Not that I would mind to use it, just interested to know under what circumstances I might have to).

How is software installed?

Anything else I need to watch out for?

The reason I am asking is because at the moment I am mentally not in the mood to learn a new OS, but I have no choice, so what are the major things I should watch out for?

Thanks very much in advance.

p.s. Why is the OS called Mac OSX, where does the 'Mac' part come from? (The Macintosh days? is it still applicable in any way?).

p.p.s. I know some of these might seem like silly questions, but this is a sign for you of just how 'not in the mood' I am to touch a new OS.

reckless2k2
January 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
linux and MAC usage is VERY similar as far as usability. the system navigation and the "way" things work is similar.

the difference really is in the hardware support. MAC is designed to run on their hardware so it's all supported out of box. linux is typically installed by a "normal" person and hardware support may be an issue with very new or even very old hardware. MAC cost $$$ and linux does not. some people think the $$$ of MAC is worth it for the fancy design and that fact that it all works out of box.

MAC OS is unix/bsd. the security "issues" are not anything like windows. it very closely mirrors the security and safety of linux. there is a firewall on OSX that i believe is on by default.

they have a terminal/command line that is rarely necessary unless you want to tweak or navigate around. i've used it more so to use ssh or delete certain things that are pesky.

they have an update feature for system applications and software installs are a stark contrast to windows. mostly, OSX programs install to a folder where ever you kind of want on the machine and run from there. if you don't understand where/how stuff installs/runs just know that most additional things about what's already in the system really hold your hand during installs. additional OSX applications usually cost a decent amount of money too. smaller base...larger prices but the software is BETTER. hence multimedia MAC ruling.

nothing to really "watch" for. make sure security updates are installed when it tells you and that's it. MAC is VERY good. i definitely recommend it over windows.

MAC is macintosh shorter.....just rebranding for new age coolness.

if you've never use MAC or linux, it is a learning curve from windows. either way, once you get use to it you just do. that's it really. my wife and her whole side of the family are MAC-heads. they look at windows and have no idea how to do stuff. haha. they say MAC just works. hahaha. geez...i've heard that from every OS.

Namtabmai
January 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Oh and it's Mac not MAC, as it's a contraction of Macintosh not an abbreviation of something :)

aysiu
January 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
What major similarities and differences are there between Linux based OS's such as Ubuntu and Mac? I mean handling and usage-wise. They're quite different. In folder structure and organization, they're very similar, though.

Does Mac OSX need a firewall, and does it come with one? I don't know.

Is there ever a need to use the command line? (Not that I would mind to use it, just interested to know under what circumstances I might have to). Only if you want to do non-standard customization--i.e., show hidden files, turn off Spotlight, etc. For day-to-day functions you don't need the terminal.

How is software installed? You buy a CD of the software you want or you download a .dmg file off the internet. You double-click it. A white disk appears on your desktop. You double-click that. Inside the white disk is an icon for the program you want to install. You then open a Finder window and navigate to the Applications folder. Then you drag the icon from the white disk to the Applications folder. then you close the window for the white disk. Then you eject the white disk by right-clicking it or dragging it to the trash. Then you drag the .dmg file to the trash.

No, it's not as simple as apt-get or Synaptic.

You can install and use apt-get to install some Linux programs, but the selection is poor, the packages aren't up to date, there's a little tweaking to get apt-get working, and then you have to run a separate application (X11) to actually use those Linux apps.

Anything else I need to watch out for? The rainbow circle of death.

p.s. Why is the OS called Mac OSX, where does the 'Mac' part come from? (The Macintosh days? is it still applicable in any way?). Mac is from Macintosh. The X stands for ten. The previous version was called OS 9.

cyclefiend2000
January 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
i havent ever found the need to use a terminal on my ibook.

installing stuff is really easy. download a dmg file and double click it. it mounts similar to a drive, and you drag it to the applications folder.

Macintosh Sauce
January 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard has a built-in firewall. You access it in the System Preferences section.

Believe me... Leopard is nothing like Apple has ever done - it is beautiful IMO.

Namtabmai
January 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM
IMO OS X has always been beautiful, and always will. But with every version it will actually get more usable, which is why I personally can't stand using it OS X. With Linux I get all the functionality I need and the looks side is coming on leaps and bounds. For me that's the real difference between OS X and Linux, one looks really good and is useable and the other is really useable and looks o.k.

Now Finder, there's an app that needs to be taken out back and shot. I've heard that 10.5 brings a lot of improvements to it, but functionality wise it still leaves a lot to be desired.

KThrace
January 24th, 2008, 12:09 AM
The command line is useful when installing extensions, or if you like, drivers. I found it necessary when installing OS X onto my PC. :)

DeadSuperHero
January 24th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I haven't used Mac OSX, but it sounds like some of the ways you do things are just ridiculously different. For instance, the whole "drag to the trash can to unmount cd" thing. That just kind of seems strange to me.
For me, I think KDE 4.1 + Bespin theme = a far better Mac OSX than Mac OSX itself. I call it Mac OSInfinity, which is actually an acronym for "My Amazing Computer, Open Source Infinity", Infinity being the version number, as it updates to an amazing new version shortly after starting up.
Life is good. =]

at0myx
January 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM
The command line is useful when installing extensions, or if you like, drivers. I found it necessary when installing OS X onto my PC. :)

How did you do that?!

aysiu
January 24th, 2008, 02:01 AM
A few quirky OS X things you might have to get used to if you're used to Windows or Linux: Cmd-Tab (the equivalent of Alt-Tab) does not restore minimized windows. The best way to avoid this problem is to not minimize windows in the first place, I guess... or to just use your mouse instead of keyboard shortcuts. You cannot maximize windows. There is instead a "zoom" button that arbitrarily changes the shape of the application window. Supposedly, it expands to fit the contents of the window, but this isn't always the case. Closing the last application window does not close the application. You have to Cmd-Q to quit the application. Sometimes this is a good thing, but most of the time it's bad and extremely counterintuitive. If you want to delete something off the desktop, you don't press the Delete key. You press Cmd-Delete. If you want to rename a file, you press Enter instead of F2. If you want to open a file, you press Cmd-O instead of Enter. Sometimes there's no context menu for Cut. You have only Copy and Paste. Cmd-Option-Esc is the equivalent of xkill but it doesn't always work. Sometimes the rainbow circle of death will not be gotten rid of! Dragging icons off the dock removes the icons in a puff of smoke--you cannot drag the launchers to the desktop to make desktop icons. Alt does not allow you to use the menus. You pretty much have to use the mouse to use the menus. Even if you map a key to focus on the menus, it'll pick only one menu, and you have to scroll through to get to the other menus. You cannot do a direct hit like Alt-F to get the file menu or Alt-E to get the edit menu.

Polygon
January 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
A note on installers, some installers are .pkg files, which are essentially the same thing as the windows-esque .exe installers, double click and press next a bunch of times

and also, i noticed this the hard way, when you put your computer to sleep, aka close the lid, there is no way to put a password when it comes out of it like ubuntu/gnome has. You can put a password to come out of screensaver, but any person with an adminstrator account can unlock your screen, and if you have multiple administrators, it becomes bad.

Æniad
January 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
OS X has a built in firewall I believe.

slimdog360
January 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
there is a firewall on OSX that i believe is on by default.

You have never used leopard have you.

Incense
January 24th, 2008, 07:44 AM
OSX has a built in firewall, though I do not know if it's on by default.

you can use the CLI if you wish, it is mostly the same commands you're already doing in GNU/Linux, though you will not really need it unless you're doing SSH, or really just want to geek out.

Software comes in DMG packages, you mostly just have to drag the
package to the Applications folder and you're set. Just double click to run.

It's really easy to use. You have a dock on the bottom, your applications menu is on the top, and your max,min and close buttons are on the left, just as it's always been since the first Mac came out. You also have a user password that you have to enter to install software, or modify system settings, kind of like SUDO.

It's called Mac OS X Leopard. Mac = Macintosh, OS = Operating System, X = 10, Leopard the version. Yeah, they don't really need the Mac in there, but I guess Apple just wants to make sure everyone knows what that OS runs on. Have fun, and bookmark this site.

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

ssam
January 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
like ubuntu having iptables as a built in firewall, mac os x has ipfw. (is there a unix that does not have some sort of firewall built in?).

for configuring the firewalll ubuntu has no GUI built in, and os x has a very simple one. basically you turn it on and then you can open up services. built in services open the right port automatically (eg file and printer sharing). GUI does not have options for restricting who accesses a certain port.

PartisanEntity
January 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks very much everyone, this is exactly the kind of info, advice and tips I was hoping for.

swoll1980
January 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM
This explains it pretty good http://youtube.com/watch?v=ks-N4rI_1RU&feature=related

blueturtl
January 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
What major similarities and differences are there between Linux based OS's such as Ubuntu and Mac? I mean handling and usage-wise.

The Mac OS is even further along in trying to make the computer's internals as transparent as possible. Mainly you notice this in that instead of thinking in terms of files you just have things. It's hard to elaborate but I'll give it a shot. You want music? Just click on iTunes. No need to know where your mp3 files are or how they are organized. Just drag and drop to and from iTunes. That's the magic. Same applies for iPhoto. Just drag and drop and manipulate within iPhoto. Need to install an application? Just drag the icon into the Applications folder. That's it. Usually nothing more complex is required. Oh and no need to look at where the apps install their files either. If you look into the applications folder you'll mostly see a bunch of icons representing what you have in there. It sounds like a management nightmare, but the truth is that the defaults are quite good. The system was designed so you wouldn't have to worry about all that. Just use it. Some like this, others don't. For new PC users though, I tend to recommend Macs for this reason especially.

For the same reason Ubuntu doesn't need one, a Mac won't either. Unless you set up a server it's simply unnecessary for a home user. One is included though should you need it.

Is there ever a need to use the command line? (Not that I would mind to use it, just interested to know under what circumstances I might have to).
The Mac is a Unix nowadays, so most commands you're familiar with should work. Some utilities might be missing or replaced with Apple's counterparts. Not that you'd need to use the command line very often but it is there. The only problem is that there is no way to access it outside the graphical environment, so if your Mac crashes you'll have a hard time getting to the command line.

Just drag the icon that represents the software into the Applications folder

Be prepared to think different (no pun intended). Many times the Mac has managed to sneak up on me because I consider myself a power user. Being used to doing things a certain way I often times found myself trying to do too much when the Macs simple and elegant (even if not always obvious or apparent) method would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.

aysiu
January 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
The only problem is that there is no way to access it outside the graphical environment, so if your Mac crashes you'll have a hard time getting to the command line. If you hold down Cmd-S while booting up, it'll boot into single-user mode.

blueturtl
January 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the tip aysiu.

What I meant though was that in Ubuntu if Gnome crashes I'm still able to access command line via Ctrl+Alt+Fx. I don't think you can do that on a Mac if say Finder crashes when you are in multiuser mode.

bomanizer
January 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
My GF has a shiny new MacBook. OS X is just dead simple and very useful. Hardware support is shiny, her mobile phone was reconized instantly and sharing, etc. just works. The wireless & network management, even with Windows proxies & stuff at her school network works with no configuration. This would be my choice no.2 when considering a comp/laptop, but I'm more into Thinkpads loaded with Ubuntu-goodness ;)

EDIT: just realised: there's no trace of MS sofware at home anymore. Even my linksys has the open firmware. Shiny.

red_five
January 27th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Usually, if the Finder crashes, it'll respawn automatically, just like Nautilus usually does on GNOME systems. Also, just line with Linux systems, since OS X is Unix-ish (actually BSD-based, derived from NeXTStep), you can kill processes just as easily if needed.

CowsCanFly
January 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM

OSX is much more simple to use and has far less options for configuration. (The ones that exist are well thought and easy to find). Most applications play very well with each other and share a uniform look and feel.

Yes it has one, yes you should use it. (System Preferences>Network)

To configure the system and install mac apps, no. If you go into a linux mentality of "i want my toolbar 10% more transparent" etc. yes.

By dragging the application to the applications folder, or anywhere you want. (A mac application is just one file, at least as far as the user in concerned) For *nix apps use macport or fink (google them). They are similar to synaptics and will install almost anything you can install under linux.

Not really, just use it to get the job done. If you want to spend more time configuring, tweaking etc, install linux on it.

rosegarden78
January 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The last time I used a Mac was some 10 years ago at school.

Soon (March) I will be getting a Macbook in order to start a BA in Multimedia Arts, I don't have a choice really, it's included in the tuition fees.

Thanks very much in advance.

p.s. Why is the OS called Mac OSX, where does the 'Mac' part come from? (The Macintosh days? is it still applicable in any way?)

X because coincidence version ten and when they change to UniX kernel look the gift horse in the mouth. First they make you buy MacBook next they say you must buy Final Cut Pro another $1000 before you know it you've spent another $2000 for Adobe Creative Suite and that doesn't even include the $799 for Shockwave Director Studio. But functionally it should work great! Right now I'm using XP on a VirtualBox it's way more stable and faster. I'm positive Mac has a Virtual PC you can probably run Ubuntu in virtual mode.

EDIT: Another thing watch out arguing with students or staff and if tuition fees are refundable and don't raise hand too much keep low profile. :KS

PartisanEntity
January 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
X because coincidence version ten and when they change to UniX kernel look the gift horse in the mouth. First they make you buy MacBook next they say you must buy Final Cut Pro another $1000 before you know it you've spent another $2000 for Adobe Creative Suite and that doesn't even include the $799 for Shockwave Director Studio. But functionally it should work great! Right now I'm using XP on a VirtualBox it's way more stable and faster. I'm positive Mac has a Virtual PC you can probably run Ubuntu in virtual mode.

Well Mac has something called Parallels? I think it's a virtualisation tool.

Incense
January 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Parallels, VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox, and QEMU all run on (Intel Based systems) the Mac. VirtualBox is a beta, but I'm sure that will come out on top.

Dixon Bainbridge
January 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
The one thing about OSX that I've found is that its dog slow compared to linux and windows.

I've use a very large filemaker db - I have the same database install on 3 systems:

A) Ubuntu Gutsy with virtualbox winxp - 64bit dual core, 1g RAM
B) winxp on a 4 year old dell laptop, 1.5g Intel 512g RAM
C) 2nd Generation Mac Book, Intel core2duo, 1g RAM

I ran a complicated find query on all three systems. These are the results:

1. B - 5 seconds
2. A - 8 seconds
3. C - 15 seconds

I retested with different queries on all three systems, and every time the Mac came in last. I also tried some mp3 encoding using the same tracks and bitrates on all three, and the Mac Book was slowest again by a long way.

The ironic thing is, the Mac Book is the best spec hardware of all three systems.

I've found finder to be a pain in the *** to use, and I'm sick of the speed of the OSX gui. Its a resource hog and although it may crash and freeze less than XP, and have less annoying popups, in terms of processing speed, it lags behind a 4 year old XP install on a crappy laptop.

I wont be buying a Mac again, thats for sure. I'm sticking linux on it tomorrow.

marenum
January 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Dragging icons off the dock removes the icons in a puff of smoke--you cannot drag the launchers to the desktop to make desktop icons. [/list]

I just made an applications folder on my desktop, along with a folder full of .dmg files I don't always have installed. I guess it's a bummer if you want the icons on the desktop, but keeping the applications you use often in the dock is still very convenient.

when you put your computer to sleep, aka close the lid, there is no way to put a password when it comes out of it like ubuntu/gnome has.

Both Tiger and Leopard have this feature under system prefs. I use it on my iBook G4 (with Tiger), and my mom uses it on her macbook (with Leopard).

I also tried some mp3 encoding using the same tracks and bitrates on all three, and the Mac Book was slowest again by a long way.

...in terms of processing speed, it lags behind a 4 year old XP install on a crappy laptop.

I've never timed my mac against a PC, but I do a lot of different audio and video conversions. The audio conversions are comparable in speed to my pc, but I prefer to do it on mac because it's much easier to organize files and I have virtually no conversion errors. The video conversion is much faster on my mac. If you're getting a new MacBook, then I assume it will handle just about everything better than my 2005 iBook, which is very capable. Interestingly enough, MacBook Pros run Vista faster than any PC notebooks, though I would stick with OS X.

My advice with the MacBook is to let the battery run out just about all the way before you charge it again, Mac has never had the best batteries. Also, don't overwork it, these things tend to get hot (though the MacBook is a serious improvement over the iBook in that department). Also, make sure to give your MacBook some downtime. You'll be able to run it longer than a PC notebook without turning it off, but eventually it will slow down. Rebooting will reset it, but downtime is still crucial. I find it to be an appealing and simple system and use it primarily. If you ever have questions feel free to ask.

PartisanEntity
January 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Also, make sure to give your MacBook some downtime. You'll be able to run it longer than a PC notebook without turning it off, but eventually it will slow down. Rebooting will reset it, but downtime is still crucial. I find it to be an appealing and simple system and use it primarily. If you ever have questions feel free to ask.

What do you mean with down time? Turning it off or putting it into hibernate/sleep mode? This comes as a surprise to me.

marenum
January 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
What do you mean with down time? Turning it off or putting it into hibernate/sleep mode?

Let it hibernate during the day when you aren't using it or downloading anything. Shut it down at night. The main concerns are temperature and speed. Hibernation will help it cool down. Shutting down will close all the unnecessary stuff running behind the scenes that accumulate after long periods without a restart. I guess both can be considered as downtime.

Macintosh Sauce
January 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM
VMware Fusion is so much better than Parallels IMO.

PartisanEntity
January 29th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Let it hibernate during the day when you aren't using it or downloading anything. Shut it down at night. The main concerns are temperature and speed. Hibernation will help it cool down. Shutting down will close all the unnecessary stuff running behind the scenes that accumulate after long periods without a restart. I guess both can be considered as downtime.

Thanks for the tip. I must say I am surprised to hear that a Mac will slowdown if left running for a long time, I thought it was like Linux in that sense. But that should not be a problem as I generally never leave my laptop running overnight or otherwise, unless I am downloading something.

Ultra Magnus
January 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Is it possible to install linux on it and say run OS X in a VM or something, like you can with windows - (I know os x has some cripple feature to stop it from running on anything other than a mac, but techically it would still be running on mac hardware)

handy
January 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me for duplicating other's statements?

The Mac Aqua DE sits on top of BSD, so it is *nix underneath.

Most of the files belonging to OS X are hidden from view of the user, though there are ways to expose it if required. I have found no need yet personally.

It is as secure as Linux regarding viruses & malware, I run no virus checker & do use the Leopard supplied firewall. I also use Vidalia (http://trac.vidalia-project.net/wiki) which handles Tor (http://www.torproject.org/) & Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) beautifully, they work to keep my IP hidden whilst on the net.

Transmission (http://www.transmissionbt.com/) is a great torrent client, always being improved too.

VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) works on OS X too.

There are a few pieces of software out there for ripping DVD's MacTheRipper (http://www.mactheripper.org/) works beautifully but won't compress the image, other's compress, but all in all it is a bit clumsy from my experience, I have still never found anything as elegant as DVDShrink 3.2 (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm). which some people can get to work on the Mac using CrossOver Mac (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/) from Codeweavers, which is a great piece of software implementing Wine on OS X.

You will find coming from Ubuntu that Leopard will be incredibly easy to use. Apple have been refining simplicity in their OS forever. It is not perfect, & we all have our personal tastes, but for getting the job done it doesn't stand in your way. & you can always install Ubuntu on another partition (without having to reinstall your OS X in the process) using rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/). :-D

Incense
January 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Is it possible to install linux on it and say run OS X in a VM or something, like you can with windows - (I know os x has some cripple feature to stop it from running on anything other than a mac, but techically it would still be running on mac hardware)

Yeah, pretty much any distro will run on modern Intel Macs. It was the PPC macs that you needed something special for. I dual boot OSX and PPC Dapper on my Mac Mini.

Incense
January 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
There are a few pieces of software out there for ripping DVD's MacTheRipper (http://www.mactheripper.org/) works beautifully but won't compress the image, other's compress, but all in all it is a bit clumsy from my experience, I have still never found anything as elegant as DVDShrink 3.2 (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm). which some people can get to work on the Mac using CrossOver Mac (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/) from Codeweavers, which is a great piece of software implementing Wine on OS X.

Ripping DVD's is still a bit of a black art on the Mac. I use Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to rip the DVD into a 700mb AVI, then use Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/) to convert that file a DVD MPEG2. Takes a very long time to do on my 256mb Mini, but it does work. Or I can save myself about 6 hours and use K9Copy (way better then DVD shrink IMO).

handy
January 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Ripping DVD's is still a bit of a black art on the Mac. I use Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to rip the DVD into a 700mb AVI, then use Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/) to convert that file a DVD MPEG2. Takes a very long time to do on my 256mb Mini, but it does work. Or I can save myself about 6 hours and use K9Copy (way better then DVD shrink IMO).

Yes, I agree, it is still a bit clumsy (time consuming) on the Mac. I find K9Copy is improving fast, but I still get a more consistent result with DVDShrink when using Linux. I know it won't be long & I will be able to drop DVDShrink (after all these years) for good. :-)

iPower
January 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I haven't used Mac OSX, but it sounds like some of the ways you do things are just ridiculously different. For instance, the whole "drag to the trash can to unmount cd" thing. That just kind of seems strange to me.
when was the last time you used a mac ? system 7 ? :)

Incense
January 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
when was the last time you used a mac ? system 7 ? :)

Hey now... 7.5 was a GREAT os!

PartisanEntity
March 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I should be receiving the laptop sometime within the next two weeks. I have another question:

In Linux just about all our application configurations and settings are stored in /home. Are Macs similar?

Sceiron
March 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I should be receiving the laptop sometime within the next two weeks. I have another question:

http://www.appledefects.com/?p=15
Are you sure you are receiving a laptop ? :lolflag:

handy
March 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
http://www.appledefects.com/?p=15
Are you sure you are receiving a laptop ? :lolflag:

Are you a 21st Century schizoid man?

Sceiron
March 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Are you a 21st Century schizoid man?

Maybe you should look up Sceiron ?
But on the other hand this is way off topic !

jviscosi
March 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM

In Linux just about all our application configurations and settings are stored in /home. Are Macs similar?

I don't have my wife's iBook in front of me but as I recall all her stuff is stored in what is shown as a home folder in the Finder. It's not located at /home though, I think it's located at /Users/<USER NAME>.

Finder hides a lot of the system folders. If you get into the terminal and poke around, you'll quickly recognize a bunch of directories, but they might not be quite where you expect them in the directory tree. Also, I don't think the "locate" command operates on all the locations you're used to, and the path environment variable seems to not include all the places where executables can be found.

There are articles about OS X's directory structure here (http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/30/mac-os-x-directory-structure-explained/) and here (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/BPFileSystem.html).

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ladies and gents,

I recived my Macbook today, im setting it up right now.

One question already, I downloaded the .dmg files for skype and adium, but did not have time to install them earlier so I shut down the Macbook. Now I turned it back on and the files are no longer on my Desktop.

What happened to them?

Thank you and stay tuned for more silly questions :-P

Joeb454
April 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
You could try using spotlight (top right I believe) and searching for them :)

Failing that, just download them again...I don't own a Mac, we just use them at Uni, so that's the best advice I can give :)

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
You could try using spotlight (top right I believe) and searching for them :)

Failing that, just download them again...I don't own a Mac, we just use them at Uni, so that's the best advice I can give :)

Thank you, turns out they are in Documents

Joeb454
April 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM
No problem...still, I'm not sure why it would move them there.

Never mind at least you found them :)

retrow
April 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Now try playing a .avi or .wmv file and comment on 'It just works out of the box' mantra that Apple fanboys recite before breakfast lunch and dinner. While you are at it, also give ppt, xls and word documents a shot. Next try compressing a jpg file without changing the dimensions.

I won a bet for free lunch by showing an Apple fanboy at our office 5 things that Ubuntu does out of the box that Apple can't.

schauerlich
April 9th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Thank you, turns out they are in Documents

You probably just need to change the default download location in Safari/Firefox. Safari>Preferences>General or Firefox>Preferences>Main, respectively.

PartisanEntity
April 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Sorry I misunderstood what Spotlight was telling me. These two files were not in Documents, they are Documents. I am still not sure where they are even though I was able to install them both.

Once I clicked on them inside Spotlight they appeared on my Desktop. But as I said, I am not actually sure where exactly these two .dmg files are saved.

YoG%*@
April 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Sorry I misunderstood what Spotlight was telling me. These two files were not in Documents, they are Documents. I am still not sure where they are even though I was able to install them both.

Once I clicked on them inside Spotlight they appeared on my Desktop. But as I said, I am not actually sure where exactly these two .dmg files are saved.

when .dmg files are mounted they appear on the desktop, i guess that's what happened here when you clicked on them in spotlight.

hth,
mux

PartisanEntity
April 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
btw,

I was told to charge the battery and let it discharge fully and to do this a couple times to extend battery life. So far so good.

I was also told that it is better to charge the battery when the laptop is off. Any opinions on that? (Did they mean in the beginning when the battery is new?)

PartisanEntity
April 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hey everyone,

I am following these (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051231212204475) instructions in order to import my emails from Evolution to Mail.

Mail is quitting unexpectedly, right after I select my email folder and start the import procedure.

Anyone have experience with it?