PDA

View Full Version : Your first PC game

EnergySamus
January 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hello!
Most of the people here remember Pong (I don't because I wasn't around at the time!:lolflag:)
But what about the PC? What were the first 3 PC games that you played?

Jazz Jackrabbit was the first game I played
Descent was the second game I played
Doom was the third game that I played.

EnergySamus

tehet
January 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/CastleAdventure/Images/1.gif

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Lol, all of the games on the list are 3D. I'm too old to participate. My first computer games were on the Commodore 64 when we only dreamed about games being in 3D.

My first video game system was the Odyssey.

rhc
January 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
If we re talking about any video games,it was a frog game on atari 2600 :)
If it s Pc,it was Maniac Mansion: Day of the tentacles.(one of the best games ever)

Black Mage
January 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I started out with the SIMS. I mean I went from SIM ANTS, to the SIM Evolution game, to SIM City, then SIM City 2000, then 3000 and thats when I stopped playing the SIM games.

But yea, SIM Ants was my first game.

sloggerkhan
January 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
I honestly don't remember.

notwen
January 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
LORD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Red_Dragon) was my first PC game(BBS games rule !!), but Wolfenstein 3D, Fantasy Empires, Warcraft all soon followed. Ah, good times. =]

rhc
January 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM

: ))) Great answer.

keykero
January 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
It was something called Gorf on the Commodore 64. You can Wikipedia it if you're interested. Anyway, the Commodore 64 had these cartridges that you could plug into the back of it or something. I loved that game, but then again I was a kid.

sloggerkhan
January 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM

My guess is that sim city and pacman were probably among the first I played, but that's only a guess. Maybe Oregon trail? *Shrugs* My first school had computers with true floppies, I think maybe there was some sort of number eater (cruncher?) game. There's spelunx, too. Not sure how it's spelled. No idea what my first FPS is, either.

iPower
January 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Marathon
Marathon II
Marathon Infinity

sloggerkhan
January 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Marathon
Marathon II
Marathon Infinity

I played all of those, but they sure weren't my first games.
So much better than Halo, IMO.

Bungo Pony
January 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
My video game experience pre-dates the PC. The first system I had was a Colecovision, and the first game I ever played was Donkey Kong.

My first game on a real PC (I consider any non-MS-DOS computer a microcomputer) was probably that stupid Roger Rabbit game. It was really gay, had stupid music, and frustrated me because I didn't have the manual. Remember these phrases?:

"What is the sixth word of the third paragraph on page 9 in the manual?"

If you guessed wrong, your game quit.

iPower
January 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I played all of those, but they sure weren't my first games.
So much better than Halo, IMO.

http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

BarfBag
January 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Chex Quest!

dgray_from_dc
January 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Lol, all of the games on the list are 3D. I'm too old to participate. My first computer games were on the Commodore 64 when we only dreamed about games being in 3D.

I don't consider my self old (I'm 29) but my first was Commodore 64 as well, the game was a side-scroller called Moon Patrol.

Wolfenstein was my first FPS but DOOM was the more significant. That's what compelled me to upgrade my 25Mhz 486 for sound and networking for multiplayer. By the time Quake hit, I realized that I couldn't upgrade anymore and eventually learned to build PCs. Oddly enough, that's around the same time I discovered Linux. In 1998, I needed a server for my growing collection of PCs and Red Hat 3.2 was my solution.

I still have one of my 486 machines, upgraded to a 100 Mhz AMD DX4 processor that could burn a hole through steel. Still operational.

macogw
January 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Oregon Trail (on Apple ][, but when I got Win95 I had like 5 versions--including the one I played on Apple ][--on one disk)
Amazon Trail
American Girl Dolls Theatre (or whatever it's called...you controlled American Girl characters to make plays)

Why's it say FPS? I don't play those...the closest I get to FPS is when I played Harry Potter 1 on my computer, and cast spells.

arsenic23
January 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Hey, did anyone else notice that the poll says, "What was your first FPS?"

I'm not much of a shooter fan myself, so I don't think I even owned one untill Unreal 2004.

But since everyone else is talking about their first PC game instead.... lemme think....

It was more then likely Zork.... or maybe Oregan Trail.

mivo
January 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Well, the poll says the first FPS, and that was the first Wolfenstein for me, prior to Doom. But I had been using computers for about ten years at the time already, so definitely not my first game in general. :) I don't remember any FPS games on the CPC or ST, though ... well, action games, yes, but not first person shooters. Though I guess Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss wasn't really all that different, in design. But that was a late'ish game, too.

unbuntu
January 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Mine is Blue Force - an RPG game about a cop...can't remember much of the story though...

RebounD11
January 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Duke Nukem... I didn't like any FPS until this one came out... never played them either (never gave them a chance :D).

samwyse
January 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Probably Alley Cat or Digger if were talking about IBM PC compatibles or maybe Space Quest III. If were talking about personal computers in general it would be some Commodore 64 game. First FPS would be Wolfenstein 3D.

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Oh! It's about FPS's. I was thrown off because the title says "PC game." Well, in that case, Wolfenstein 3D was my first because it pretty much was the first. I also played Doom and Doom2.

Duke Nukem... I didn't like any FPS until this one came out... never played them either (never gave them a chance :D).

+1
You really can't beat Duke Nukem 3D. It was the first game that truly was 3D. It was the first game that you could jump, fly, and swim in. You really could go to any part of the level. And who can resist the pig aliens? And blowing things up with an RPG or a remote bomb.

But my first first person game of any sort was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Treasure_of_Tarmin) on the Intellivision.

EnergySamus
January 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Whoops... I guess I did put FPS... I meant game...:redface::redface::redface:

EnergySamus

Sunflower1970
January 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I remember Pong! My dad bought it for my brother and I to play...he used it more than the kiddies did!

First computer game was on a TRS-80 called Westware Ho! Came on a 5" floppy. A text-based game where the player was going across the US in a covered wagon starting in St Louis and trying to get to somewhere on the West Coast (Seattle? San Francisco? I don't remember) I could play it for hours and hours (lol)

RudolfMDLT
January 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Duke Nukem

teamkiller87
January 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Can't believe nobody mentioned the first Prince of Persia! I used to play it back in 1993 on a 386. My my, how time passes... haven't played anything since Quake 3 and Heroes 3 though... The new flashy, glossy, ultra shiny games don't appeal to me really...

sefs
January 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Digger

jpittack
January 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
ancient empires, a puzzle game. Hearts, puzzle again. Plus solitare. All were played about the same time. First 3d was x-wing vs. tie fighter. I still play it. That was '96. I'm 19 now and play battle for wesnoth.

p_quarles
January 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
First FPS was Doom, but the first game I ever played was Street Fighter on the C64.

hessiess
January 23rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
tomb rader 1 i think

Gigamo
January 24th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Diablo 1. Ever since, I've been a huge blizzard fan, until I quit WoW :D

Before that I had a fancy Gameboy!

new2*buntu
January 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
My first FPS was Assault Cube, and it is the only one that runs on my computer without lag and a decent frame rate, even with high graphics settings. I am still playing it, and my screen name is usually "Earth"

KThrace
January 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM
My first FPS was Wolfenstein 3D. My first PC game ever however was "Duke Nukem", the original platformer one.

brunolabs
January 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Arkanoid, I guess...

TBOL3
January 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
My first FPS was Chex Quest (a game included in boxes of chex serial as a promotion).

Now if I could just get it to work in linux. :(

jcwmoore
January 24th, 2008, 04:47 AM
X-wing, classic star wars, you got to love it!

pgatrick
January 24th, 2008, 04:54 AM
First FPS was Wolfenstein 3D. First game ever (that I can remember) was on an Apple ][, I don't remember what it was called but it was a side scrolling game where you played this diamond shaped guy, and I believe it may have involved an island and possibly a gorilla in a tree. :-k Ah, found it! :D http://www.vulcanjedi.com/images/tinkfront.jpg

jviscosi
January 24th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Gosh I can hardly remember ... probably Radar Rat Race, Jupiter Lander, and maybe Temple of Apshai or Dungeons of Doom. All Commodore VIC-20 games. Ack, I'm old.

I don't play many FPSs and never played any at all on the PC, so my first one of those was probably either Devil May Cry or Timesplitters for the PS2.

swoll1980
January 24th, 2008, 05:02 AM

My first system was also the Odyssey, but my first pc game was on the old C=64 it was Jungle hunt

swoll1980
January 24th, 2008, 05:20 AM
the first real first person 3d shooter was made in 1973 and was called maze wars

CCNA_student
January 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Not really sure...

rendon
January 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
before I owned a computer myself I played at some friend's houses on a commodore 64.
some baseball game and an olympic games game, can't remember the names of the games.

there was also a cool surfing game and a hacky sack game at that time.

When I got my first computer (gateway) around 98' I found my way into Spacecraft. Loved it. I still think it's a playable, great game to this day.

jrusso2
January 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Leisure Suit larry on an old Mac.

Lostincyberspace
January 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM
before I owned a computer myself I played at some friend's houses on a commodore 64.
some baseball game and an olympic games game, can't remember the names of the games.

there was also a cool surfing game and a hacky sack game at that time.

When I got my first computer (gateway) around 98' I found my way into Spacecraft. Loved it. I still think it's a playable, great game to this day.
do you mean starcraft?

Dimitriid
January 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM
A game called Stunts for DOS.

vishzilla
January 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM
the 1st FPS i played was Wolfenstein, which I cousin owned. The first game I owned was Unreal

noremac
January 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I remember playing Oregon Trail me thinks first. Perhaps some Wolfenstein soon thereafter.

-Cameron

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Gosh I can hardly remember ... probably Radar Rat Race, Jupiter Lander, and maybe Temple of Apshai or Dungeons of Doom. All Commodore VIC-20 games. Ack, I'm old.

The Temple of Apshai was awesome. Later the same guys came out with other games that were great, like Questron 1&2, Legacy of the Ancients, and The Legend of Blacksilver. I played them all.

My first system was also the Odyssey, but my first pc game was on the old C=64 it was Jungle hunt
I think my actual first game was Zork. I even had one of those hint books for the entire game with invisible ink. It gave you several hints for each part of the game and you used your special marker to show the invisible ink for however many hints you needed.

Tristam Green
January 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
OK, I don't understand. The poll is about "first first-person shooter" and the thread is titled "first PC game?"

Either way, my first FPS was Wolfenstein. After that was Quake 2, then Half-Life and it hellspawns.

First computer game entirely?

First computer I got to touch was a TI-99/4A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A), so for that it would be "TI Invaders" and "Hunt the Wumpus".

As for other games, "The Oregon Trail", "Microsoft Flight Simulator v.4.0", and "MadMaze" were my first computer games.

I really miss MadMaze. That was endless fun for me :-)

rax_m
January 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
First FPS was Wolfenstein (the original)

If I remember, the first games I ever played were:

DigDug
Castle Adventures
Rogue (one of the original dungeon crawlers)

This was way back around 1985.

jviscosi
January 30th, 2008, 11:17 PM
The Temple of Apshai was awesome. Later the same guys came out with other games that were great, like Questron 1&2, Legacy of the Ancients, and The Legend of Blacksilver. I played them all.

I think my actual first game was Zork. I even had one of those hint books for the entire game with invisible ink. It gave you several hints for each part of the game and you used your special marker to show the invisible ink for however many hints you needed.

"Questron" was a great game, agreed. I also had a great time with one called "Fortress of the Witch King" that I think came from SSI.

And, oh yeah, I had all the Infocom games. (Literally -- I have both editions of "The Lost Treasures of Infocom" floating around somewhere.) Those were great, even "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which lied to you. I think "Planetfall" was my favorite. One of my cat's nicknames was "Floyd" because she always announced her arrival with a meow ("Floyd here now!"), and to this day when my wife sees me save a PS2 game, she says, "Oh boy, are you gonna do something dangerous now?"

Lord Illidan
January 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Warcraft 2, (I was underage :D, but used to have a great deal of fun playing with my dad), Caesar 2, and Tyrian 2000.

jan quark
January 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM
my first computer game was a game for an atari machine

the games, you know, were stored on this funny small audio tapes
man long ago

well you put this "audio tape" into the atari "computer" and you could see a cross-hair and a dot

the black dot was the "plane" that you had to bring down

*sighs... and thinks

BDNiner
January 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM

I remember when duke nukem was a side scroller platform game. I think there were 3 of them before the fps. I can't remember what the first game was that I played, that was way too long ago.

Oh man do I remember the tapes, the games would take like 20 minutes to load. And if it crashed that would ruin my allotted game time when i was a kid because I could not load the game again before my time was up.

Christmas
January 30th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Quake II as far as I remember. I was also playing Counter-Strike that time, it was version 1.1 or 1.2 can't remember...

NeoGreen
January 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM
My first PC game was DOOM and man was it awesome. I think I still have it in my garage somewhere.

karellen
January 31st, 2008, 02:01 AM
Red Alert

Paqman
January 31st, 2008, 03:14 AM
Er, probably either Sopwith or Star Control on my mate's PC. Thrashed plenty of Spectrum games for years before that though. Santa Paravia on my school's Apple IIs sucked away a large chunk of my life, too IIRC.

mips
January 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Choplifter on AppleII

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Choplifter_title.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Choplifter.png

jaytek13
January 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Either Carmen Sandiego or Oregon Trail.

syczu
January 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
On Commadore64 - Postman Pat?
On PC - Dungeon Keeper

That was the time when games were really good.

orange2k
January 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Duke 3d...

derjames
January 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM
On the Commodore 64C - Action Biker
On the PC (80286) - Dig Dug

and before that on the Atari 2600 - Mario Bros and Gravitar

Frumious Boojum
January 31st, 2008, 02:47 PM
I dunno about all three, but one of the first three was definitely Oregon Trail on Apple IIe.

aaaantoine
January 31st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Nothing interesting here. Excluding games played on other people's PCs, when my family first got a PC in June 1992, my first games were:

Lemmings
Super Jeopardy
EGA versions of Wheel of Fortune and Classic Concentration

My poll answer for first FPS is Wolfenstein 3D. I played an older FPS after the fact (Catacomb, also by the id Software team), but Wolf3D was the first.

aaaantoine
January 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM
My first FPS was Chex Quest (a game included in boxes of chex serial as a promotion).

Now if I could just get it to work in linux. :(

I remember that game. It used the Doom engine. If you have the disk still, try running it in DOSBox.

Skweek
January 31st, 2008, 05:26 PM
The first ever game I played was Star Trek on a Kaypro II back in the early 80's!!! (OS = C/PM)

Christmas
January 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Choplifter on AppleII
Nice, I didn't know that kind of game was a FPS. I remember playing these kind of games on an old 'Cobra' (that's what I think was called) computer, with a TV instead of monitor.

der_joachim
January 31st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Either Choplifter or Blue Max. Both on Commodore 64.

I didn't need no steenkin' FPS. :mrgreen:

Onyros
January 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM
My first games were on the Speccy, back in 1982... the Horace series :P

But I really remember playing Harrier Attack, back then. I played it the other day on a Speccy emulator, and was as thrilled as when I first played it hehehe

n3tfury
January 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Quake demo. played Wolfenstein before, but i didn't have a PC at the time.

Vitamin-Carrot
January 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Erm mine would have been either platoon or ghost busters on the com64

davbren
January 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Crystal Castles on the C64! Great game!

davbren
January 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Erm mine would have been either platoon or ghost busters on the com64

"HE SLIIIIIIIMED ME!!!!"

igknighted
January 31st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Number Munchers or some football game circa 1990. And Adventures on EcoIsland. Games back then were so educational lol.

essexboyracer
January 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
My first PC game: F1 (i think) by geoff crammond which would have been about 1986-1988.
My first game: we had an atari 2600 with the veneer wood finish and huge toggle switches on, cant remember the first game played on it but something like frogger or a cowboy/pong type game

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Atari2600a.JPG/300px-Atari2600a.JPG

By the way those stock atari joysticks were awesome, almost as good as getting konix cramp from this beast...

http://www.ko-gathering.com/wiki/images/6/6f/Konix_speedking.jpg

AndyCooll
January 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
I came late to PC games. The first few games I can remember playing are Railroad Tycoon, Sim City and Championship Manager. I still play Championship Manager, though it's now called Football Manager (there is still a game called Championship Manager but this isn't the same game as the original),

I also vaguely remember playing a game where you planned a bank robbery but I can't remember what it was called.

I've never played FPS's simply because they don't interest me.

:cool:

lightstream
January 31st, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm surprised only one person before me put 'Ultima Underworld- Stygian Abyss' as their first FPS on the PC. That game was well ahead of its time! OK, not technically a 'shooter' but a 'slasher' RPG, however it was out before DOOM, and its physics and graphics engines were far superior to that latter game. I upgraded to a 486 DX-66 just for Underworld, and it was well worth it! My flatmates and I were up all night for a week playing that one. Anyone know who said this: 'Tossa sor-click? sor-click tossa'

Tharkun
February 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
I played Wolfenstein as my first FPS.

Mad_Dawg
February 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
The first games that I remember was a text based adventure game that would present a situation in text, then the player would respond to the situation by typing in his next action. The computer then presented the results and it went back and forth. I can't remember the name of the game.

This was back in 1982. The computer was an IBM with no hard drive (unheard of) but, whooooaaaaa Nelly, TWO 5.5 inch floppy drives and a 12 or 13 inch green screen

koleoptero
February 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Prince of Persia :popcorn:

n3tfury
February 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
The first games that I remember was a text based adventure game that would present a situation in text, then the player would respond to the situation by typing in his next action. The computer then presented the results and it went back and forth. I can't remember the name of the game.

This was back in 1982. The computer was an IBM with no hard drive (unheard of) but, whooooaaaaa Nelly, TWO 5.5 inch floppy drives and a 12 or 13 inch green screen

i played text adventures all the time on an Atari 800xl (i believe). my favorite was Planetfall, but also loved Hitchhiker's Guide and the Zork series. oh the memories. those were a lot of fun.

Linuxratty
February 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Am I the only person who does not like first person shooter games?

Jhongy
February 2nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
This was the first one I played... on a BBC computer my Mum would bring home from work... on a trolley.

http://www.gb64.com/Screenshots/G/Granny%27s_Garden_1.png

On our first fully-owned PC with a colour monitor, I immediately had to get Microsoft Flight Simulator 4... and the multitude of add-ons. MS FS was actually great back then. Man... I remember being so excited about getting this for Christmas!

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/pictures/meigs-fs4a.gif

From a playability perspective, msfs4 was the best -- difficult to master aircraft, lots of third-party add-ons, and a whole world to explore... on a couple of floppy disks.

KryoFrk
February 20th, 2008, 01:29 AM
My first PC game was some flight sim on my neighbor's computer. I remember flying around the san fran area, and flying through and under the golden gate bridge. No idea what it was, but there was another game for that system; the three stooges, where you got to throw pies and stuff. All of which were on those huge floppies (I think).

My first FPS was Spectre. You were a wire frame "tank" and shot other tanks and captured the flags they were guarding. Then after that Marathon. MEMORIES...

Also anyone spend hours on the never ending 2D multiplayer BOLO? (also Mac) The little green 7 pixel guy that would plant mines, and gather trees.. we used to take over the computer lab after school with that one.

k2t0f12d
February 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/CastleAdventure/Images/1.gif

++

Although this wasn't my first, it came with a number of plain/text UI games that were floating around the universities at the time. I played Oregon Trial on the schools Apple IIe during recess in the sixth grade (I left public school for homeschooling after the 7th grade). The first 2D graphics I saw were for games like original Duke Nukem, and first 3D was the original Wolfenstein. I also got my first copy of Hack aka NetHack, which I discovered was a UNIX tradition only after having installed GNU/Linux...I thought the GPL notices were familiar from my early youth...

Fbot1
February 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
solitaire

Breetai
February 20th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Let's see.. I think pong was technically a console so that dosn't count. I tried writing the games for a commodore 64 but I was too young at the time and didn't have the attention span to finish writing any games. The first real PC game that comes to mind was Bard Tales on an Apple 2 clone. Ahh the good ol days... Apple Clones.

RAV TUX
February 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Hello!
Most of the people here remember Pong (I don't because I wasn't around at the time!)
But what about the PC? What were the first 3 PC games that you played?

Descent was the second game I played
Doom was the third game that I played.

EnergySamus1. America McGee's Alice
2. Diablo (II & Expansion set)
3. Emperor: Rise of the middle kingdom

r.hall
February 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Wolfenstein 3D is where it's at.

Chilli Bob
February 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
AH yes, I used an original black and white pong TV game when they were cool, but the earliest PC game I can remeber playing was Alley Cat.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_%28video_game))

But before that my first computer was a VZ200. One of the first games I has for it was Killer Tomatoes. Scroll down to check it out here....
http://apolon.torqsoftware.net/2006/10/killer-tomato-memory-lane.html

Love those 4 colour 128x64 hi-res graphics!!

EDIT: OMG!! I found the mother load!

http://www.vz200.org/downloads.php?cat_id=1&rowstart=0

That takes me back!

yabbadabbadont
February 20th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Well, since Pong was technically a console game (not to mention the original Atari, which I still have), I would have to say it was some wire-frame flight simulator for the TRS-80. Can't remember what it was called, only that it took a few minutes to load from cassette tape...

ShodanjoDM
February 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
1st FPS: Wolfenstein 3D

Got to admit I had headaches when playing it. The whole 3d environment in that game made me disoriented...

1st PC game? Let's see, I was always interested in flight simulator. One of the first games I played was F-19 stealth or MS flight sim. That was late 1980's IIRC...

ruy_lopez
February 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Something for the Phillips Videopac G7000:

http://www.videopac.org/G7000/c52.jpg

Looks like a console, but had a rudimentary assembly language cartridge.

http://www.videopac.org/games/9/9f.jpg

This is probably the first game I played: Space Monster:

http://www.videopac.org/games/22/22front.jpg

b0ng0
February 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well my first "PC" game (not including the likes of Gameboy) would have to be Command and Conquer. Still a brilliant game. Before we had a computer though, I used to go round to my friend's house who had loads of Macs and we played an RPG called Realmz.

Dragonfly_X
February 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
It was a PC game called "Iceman" back in about '89, '90

Lster
February 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Farcry. It is still my favorite game. :popcorn:

P4oL1n0
February 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My first PC game would have to be Monkey Island 1.

An amazing game! :(

graabein
February 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I think I played Snake on my dad's laptop which looked more like a sewing machine that opened in the bottom with a fold out keyboard. The screen was really tiny and had different shades of green. I remember playing Snake, Jordan vs Bird 1-on-1 (http://www.mobygames.com/game/jordan-vs-bird-one-on-one) and Alley Cat (http://www.acid-play.com/download/alley-cat/).

Kimm
February 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM

That was probably my first 3D game too :) (This post inspired me to try and play it again btw :D It is a great game..)

3D Lemmings Was my secound, as far as I can remember :)

derekr44
February 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
If PC = Personal Computer
Then it was Wolfenstein on the Apple IIe... the old one from the 80s.

But mostly I remember:
Commander Keen
The ORIGINAL Duke Nukem

Cochise
February 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
If PC = Personal Computer
Then it was Wolfenstein on the Apple IIe... the old one from the 80s.

But mostly I remember:
Commander Keen
The ORIGINAL Duke Nukem

same here still have them around 200 other games from that era all the keens and police quest etc.

Tom Mann
February 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
My first computer game was Ghouls n Ghosts on the Spectrum, though I did enjoy QBasic Gorillas on the PC if that counts...

RedMist
February 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Outrun on the ZX Spectrum. Man, I feel old:(

MacAnthony
February 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Just like many others, my first games were the old 2600 classics (pong, frogger, pit fall).

But for PC game, I'm pretty sure my first was Starflight on an old Tandy 1000 RL. I'm surprised I didn't find it on the list. I'm still looking for a game that I had as much fun with as that one.

solitaire
February 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
my first games were on the ZX Spectrum and they were either:

Elite
Knight Lore
Sabre Wulf

orgy
February 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Digger!!!

GSF1200S
February 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Rodents Revenge
Doom

Bruce M.
February 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
Like some here I'm older then that games you mentioned.
I can not remember the "first" game I played on a PC. But the first game was a C-64 game anyway (really liked Loderunner) and ZORK.

Zork was GREAT! But the programmer was even butter. After playing that one night for hours, I was stuck so I typed in:

> Tell me what (censored)ing direction to go!
> Don't use that language with me!
> (censored) you!
> I warned you!
> What are you going to (censored)g do about it?

The game rebooted! I lost hours of playing time. :)

Now of the three games in your poll: Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake. That's just about the order I played them. And I still have them on a CD here I think. (Dumped a LOT of Windows and DOS CD's recently) Must check. If I do have them I'll install DOSBOX some day and try them again :)

toupeiro
February 22nd, 2008, 02:38 AM
Mine was Zork
Followed by A Lurking Horror

then I got into amiga

After that, I picked back up with Phantasmagoria and the Beast Within

uberlube
February 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM
my first was commander keen :lolflag:

Kingsley
February 22nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome was my first PC game. It came bundled with HP computer that I got in 1999.

Mary.Riley
February 22nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Chip's Challenge; so frustrating, yet so addictive!

minutest
February 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
My parents got a Commodore vic-20 when I was in Elementary.

It did no have a hard drive. games and other misc. programs were loaded via cassette tapes.

May have even been able to play audio cassettes in it. Unsure.

One of my most played games was "Snackman". A knockoff of Packman. Also had other knockoff's but I can not recall there names.

This Thread has made me feel very Old.
:-\"

My 1st X86 FPS game would have Probably been Tomb Raider. Fun to play and just as nice to watch.:)

neoAnderson
February 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
PACMAN, Digdug, Paratrooper, Prince of Persia, Alley Cat, Zaxxon, Round42 - they all came in one floppy disk when I first saw a computer - it was an AT 80286.

Cloudy
February 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Oregon Trail on the Apple IIe. That's what we had in the computer lab at school when I was in kindergarten. Well, actually, to be honest there were a ton more games on it but all I cared about was Oregon Trail.

Chame_Wizard
February 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
my 1st pc game was commander Keen/Jazz Jack Rabbit in 1998
,but the 1st game i ever finished on the PC was Quake 2(in 2003).O:):oops:

Cov(enant)
February 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
History of addiction so far
-----------------------------------

Atari 2600

Centipede
Frogger
Missile Command