PDA

View Full Version : CIA: Hackers Shut Down Foreign Power Grid

Sporkman
January 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,324547,00.html

CIA: Hackers Shut Down Foreign Power Grid

Wednesday, January 23, 2008
AP

WASHINGTON — Hackers literally turned out the lights in multiple cities after breaking into electrical utilities and demanding extortion payments before disrupting the power, a senior CIA analyst told utility engineers at a trade conference.

All the break-ins occurred outside the United States, said senior CIA analyst Tom Donahue. The U.S. government believes some of the hackers had inside knowledge to cause the outages.

Donahue did not specify what countries were affected, when the outages occurred or how long the outages lasted. He said they happened in "several regions outside the United States."

"In at least one case, the disruption caused a power outage affecting multiple cities," Donahue said in a statement. "We do not know who executed these attacks or why, but all involved intrusions through the Internet."

A CIA spokesman Friday declined to provide additional details.

"The information that could be shared in a public setting was shared," said spokesman George Little. "These comments were simply designed to highlight to the audience the challenges posed by potential cyber intrusions."

Donahue spoke earlier this week at the Process Control Security Summit in New Orleans, a gathering of engineers and security managers for energy and water utilities.

[There has been "a huge increase in focused attacks on our national infrastructure networks"in the past year and a half, "and they have been coming from outside the United States," cybersecurity expert Ralph Logan told the Washington Post in commenting on the CIA assessment.

Logan told the Post that the coordinated attacks came from foreign governments or militaries, not terrorist groups.

In late November, the security firm McAfee singled out China for risking a "cyber Cold War" by probing other countries' Internet security, including a Pentagon network and other Western government agencies.

A few days later, the British government warned major banks and other financial institutions that Chinese military hackers had targeted their networks.

Russian hackers have been blamed for shutting down neighboring Estonia's Internet access for several days last spring, but those efforts, while possibly green-lit by the Russian government, were considered the work of disorganized volunteers.

By contrast, experts believe Chinese cyberattacks have been orchestrated by the People's Liberation Army.]

The Bush administration is increasingly worried about the little-understood risks from hackers to the specialized electronic equipment that operates power, water and chemical plants.

In a test last year, the Homeland Security Department produced a video showing commands quietly triggered by simulated hackers having such a violent reaction that an enormous generator shudders as it flies apart and belches black-and-white smoke.

The recorded demonstration, called the "Aurora Generator Test," was conducted in March by government researchers investigating a dangerous vulnerability in computers at U.S. utility companies known as supervisory control and data acquisition systems.

The programming flaw was fixed, and equipment makers urged utilities to take protective measures.

Dr Small
January 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Lol. That's funny.
The more digitalized and electronic they make things, the more hackers can do! :D

Nano Geek
January 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
It makes you wonder why the power-grid was connected to the internet in the first place?

tehet
January 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
It makes you wonder why the power-grid was connected to the internet in the first place?
Yeah, CCGTs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_cycle) come with built-in ehternet these days ;) I'd guess the CIA made this one up.

TooLz
January 23rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
So the woman sitting at the front desk could still use myspace :lolflag:

dannyboy79
January 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
looks like the "FireStorm" from the latest Die Hard movie is coming closer to reality!

GavinZac
January 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
CIA: Somebody somewhere did something.

Be afraid!

leafhound
January 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM

Be afraid!

CIA scaremongering

Sporkman
January 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM

Be afraid!

:lol: Pretty much.

Xbehave
January 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
The world is scary we need more power to protect you. Thats why your neighbors have gone on holiday ok!

lespaul_rentals
January 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
The latest quote from the power grid administrator came out today:

"I forgot to shut down the SSH daemon before I left for the night."

macogw
January 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
looks like the "FireStorm" from the latest Die Hard movie is coming closer to reality!

Exactly what I was thinking! They're going to download petabytes of financial data to a portable hard drive! *cue the group of kids at MIT that I watched it with burst out laughing*

dannyboy79
January 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Exactly what I was thinking! They're going to download petabytes of financial data to a portable hard drive! *cue the group of kids at MIT that I watched it with burst out laughing*

yeah, that was pretty funny because I didn't see the exabyte portable hard drive at Walmart until after the movie was already made. NOT

fatality_uk
January 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Why does they use the internet? A conversation in a power company board room circa 2005.

Power company CEO: "Bob, I have heard about this thing call the iturnet. Make it happen so we get on there will you"

IT Director: "John but why? It's not really required"

Power company CEO: "Dammit Bob. I said do it. Anyway my kids have the iturnet at home. We use Windows ME. They download a lot of things and go onto something called piratebay. I think it's cute they want to know about nautical history! So I can use the PC when they have finished with it to see our plants output. Now do it!!"

popch
January 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Why do they use the internet?

A power grid consists of several nodes at some distances from each other. Otherwise it would not be a grid but a cluster or whatever.

They need to communicate with each other. Most particularly, I presume that they are operated by means of computers, and those computers have to communicate.

Since the control by computer and the communication between the computers has to be able to work when the power lines are interrupted, it would be a bad idea to use the power lines to carry the communication for the computers. Besides, it is somewhat difficult to use a line with very high voltage for computer communication.

How else, then, can those computers communicate? With a proprietary network built expressively for that purpose? When there are telefone lines to those sites, anyway? Guess again.

Once they are on a data network, one office in a remote location can remotely control quite a lot of stuff. So can anyone else if they fail to implement their security measures properly.

macogw
January 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
yeah, that was pretty funny because I didn't see the exabyte portable hard drive at Walmart until after the movie was already made. NOT

What? I'm confused... I'm not sure if you're saying it wasn't funny or if you agree with the laughter....I know there's sarcasm in there somewhere :-/ The internet fails at clarity.

EDIT: oh exabyte is 1000 petabytes (yay Wikipedia), so you're with us on the laughing at the portable hard drive holding the whole country's financial data then....I think...

LookTJ
January 24th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Would it be more rational to allow only the IP ranges the foreign power companies have/bought?

ellis rowell
January 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM
We should believe this as much as the Iraq "Weapons of Mass Destruction", B***** Liars.

dannyboy79
January 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
What? I'm confused... I'm not sure if you're saying it wasn't funny or if you agree with the laughter....I know there's sarcasm in there somewhere :-/ The internet fails at clarity.

EDIT: oh exabyte is 1000 petabytes (yay Wikipedia), so you're with us on the laughing at the portable hard drive holding the whole country's financial data then....I think...

yeap, i'm on board. it's totally rediculious.