PDA

View Full Version : A simple medical question

xyz
January 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I have to go to the doctor's for various tests and she asked me to come in on an empty stomach.

I know I can't eat but does "on an empty stomach" also mean I can't drink anything at all?

Samhain13
January 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Probably. I think the reason for that is to minimise the amount of possible contaminants in your body that can affect the tests. And water can carry potential contaminants.

But I'm not a doctor. :)

jeffus_il
January 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
What Ubuntu normally recommends is to call the doctor first. From my meagre medical knowledge, I know that some tests require a fast and some do not, I think most have no problem with drinking water. You could get the names of the specific tests from your referral and search in Google, there are Health services in Britain and the US which do give info on tests.

Dr. Jeff (So my mother wished)

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
I would say nothing exept water on the day of the test, have the cleanest water you can, and just to be on the safe side, probobly no water for 2-3 hours befor test, but really, I wouldnt know.

Kingfield
January 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I had a test. For stomach, but for that I couldnt drink water either. If its for something else youshould be able to drink

balaknair
January 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Basically "On an empty stomach" translates on doctor's order sheets as "nil orally"
If you're visiting an anaesthetist(or if the tests require general anaesthesia) that means absolutely nothing to be eaten/drunk. Same if you're due for endoscopy(or even some X-rays). Or any procedure which might cause some nausea. Most of these procedures usually require a clean Gastrointestinal tract.
If it's just a blood test(like for Diabetes) you can drink plain water, but nothing with sugar or fat(no milk, tea, coffee etc) in it as it can skew the test results. Though I doubt that's what your doctor intended(she'd have been more specific in that case)

In summation, in 99% of scenarios, you'd be better off not drinking anything as well. You may sip a little water to keep your mouth moist(don't drink or swallow it).
That's the best advice I can give you based on what you've posted.
PS: I'm not a doctor, I'm a dentist, but I do a fair amount of surgical work.

balaknair
January 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
And by the way, all the best
Hope the results show you to be in good health.

xyz
January 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
And by the way, all the best
Hope the results show you to be in good health.

Thank you very much for your concern and your precious advices.
Sorry for the lack of details but I didn't feel like getting into it further. Understandably so, I suppose!

Given what you said and knowing what I know, I'll just moisten my mouth if need be.

And thnx everyone for having given me a little of your time.

@ Dr. Jeff - I know Google and I also know I could simply call the doctor but for "some" reasons, it helps me more to ask the question here.

And if this forum can "afford" the Bump Thread - which I like btw - then this forum can also "afford" my question and my need for that precise kind of help/assistance.

jeffus_il
January 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thank you very much for your concern and your precious advices.
Sorry for the lack of details but I didn't feel like getting into it further. Understandably so, I suppose!

Given what you said and knowing what I know, I'll just moisten my mouth if need be.

And thnx everyone for having given me a little of your time.

@ Dr. Jeff - I know Google and I also know I could simply call the doctor but for "some" reasons, it helps me more to ask the question here.

And if this forum can "afford" the Bump Thread - which I like btw - then this forum can also "afford" my question and my need for that precise kind of help/assistance.

I have no problem with you bringing up your medical problems here. It was a little strange at first. I did answer you, to the best of my knowledge, I am always a joker, so don't take it personally. I wish you the best of health and that you won't have the need to see the doctor again.

Cavalryman
January 24th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Depends...If it's just for lab tests, there are no tests that will be adversely affected by drinking water. If you're going to have a procedure done, you should have a truly empty stomach. Yes, I'm a doctor; I know these things. (Actually, black coffee won't affect lab tests either, but you didn't hear it from me. ;))

Dr Small
January 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
This is trivial... Just go without food and water for a day. It's not that hard.
I generally am on an empty stomach most of the time anyhow.

I had 1 meal today, and that was supper. ;)

xyz
January 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
This is trivial... Just go without food and water for a day. It's not that hard.
I generally am on an empty stomach most of the time anyhow.

I had 1 meal today, and that was supper. ;)

Yeah...really...lots of trivia ,then, on UF!!! Just eat how and what you want! This was not the point of my thread.

But let's all forget about it NOW! And thnx again to those who responded "the human way" and let the others go on talking about, for instance, which is better: XMMS or Amarok or...or...yeah...that's really not trivia!

BTW this is the Café...a place where we can simply talk.
Thank you for remembering this while commenting on others' theads.