PDA

View Full Version : I just upgraded all my geeky stuff, yippie!

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
hey, I know that no one cares, I still have to tell you

I have recently purchased a lenovo 3000 n200 with 2gigs ram, 120 gb hd 2.4ghz (I think) intel core 2 duo proccesor, nvidia somthing 128mb graphics card, wide screen in build wireless lan and blue tooth, webcam that dosent do what I want it to do in ubutntu and vista home premium (aka the devil) ((havent st up dual boot yet))

which replaces my dell insparon 1150 with 2.2ghz (seems like a lot on a 3 year old computer) 512megs of memory ***** speakers 60gb hd and 64mb inbuilt non upgradealbe graphics.

after over 7hours messing around with wires and configuring modem to find out that it was faulty, the next one we got was faulty and finnaly getting it working, I have upgraded my 56k connection to 1.5mbps connection, which is faster than anyone in my suburb, because we have no broadband cables, and are in the blackspot to end all blackspots with wireless. I know have wifi set up, which works with my new computer, so far.

I have gone from a $5.00 shredded and breaking dining room chair to a &100 + proper office chair that I got from a friend that left the state, and couldn't take it with him. The coolest thing about it is, if you lean forward enough, it tilts forward, trust me, it is cool.

I have gone from my 128mb mp3 player that I got for free with my mcaffe security suite back when I used windows, to a 4gb lg fm33 with support of every file type under the sun, including ogg! unfortunatly, I cant get videos onto it without using the supplied media center disk. just belive me, It is immpossible.

and finnaly, in a few weeks, I will go from an old lexmark printer that dosent print, to a hp multifunction with full linux compatibility.

all this has happend over less than 3 weeks, and I have been smiling so much that my face hurts.

I am still the happiest geek I know, and it looks like it is going to be a good year, well for me anyway, mr self centerd. :):):):)

kostkon
January 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Indeed, happy things happened to you, good to hear! :)

But which is the mp3 player that you say you cannot put videos to it?

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
its an LG FM33, and you NEED the software that comes on the disk which only works with windows, it converts avi and mpeg files to (LG)avi. weird I know, but they really want you to use their software, and I will dual boot with vista anyway, so I will live. vista isn't that bad, I mean, it is NOTHING compared with ubuntu, but it isn't that much worse than xp, and it came with inkball.

hessiess
January 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
why not just upgrade your mp3 player aswell;) or try vertualising windows

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I did upgrade my mp3 player, and I have spent many hours trying to virtualise mainly thro wine, but also thro a few other programs, and it is easier to boot windows when I want to add a movie.

Kingfield
January 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Sometimes I think to myself, 120GB is much smaller than you think once dual booting.
My 120GB became this:

Filesystem: 44.4 GB.
Preload (C: drive on windows) : 59.4 GB. WHERE THE HELL DID MY REMAINING 16 gigs go? T-T.

well, just a warning xD

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
I looked at the little bar showing free space next to my "C" drive, and I actually said what the ******* hell is going on, who installed 16gb of crap on on my computer.
lol

inversekinetix
January 24th, 2008, 01:24 AM
160GB may be advertised by the HD maker, but they use a different counting system. is there a hidden restore section on the HD?

p_quarles
January 24th, 2008, 01:29 AM
160GB may be advertised by the HD maker, but they use a different counting system. is there a hidden restore section on the HD?
Yes. Storage devices are sold using the Gigabytes (=1 billion bytes). Filesystems recognize Gibibytes (=1,073,741,824 bytes). Hence the discrepancy.