PDA

View Full Version : I just oredered the parts for my new Computer!!

hhhhhx
January 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm completely estatic! I've been surfing newegg for the last few days and have finally ordered all the parts for my new com. :)

I got a :
EVGA nvidia 780i mobo
a 3.0 ghz core 2 duo
4 gigs of ram
4 150 gig raptor drives
nvidia 8800 gt 512 mb card (im going to get another one later and sli the two )
800watt power supply
and a coolmaster cosmos case to put it all in.

it should be here in two days, i have no clue how im going to survive till then..

bufsabre666
January 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
take a seat have a beer and turn on some good tv, dont look at clocks you wont like it

hhhhhx
January 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
take a seat have a beer and turn on some good tv, dont look at clocks you wont like it

oh crap, i looked at a clock

47h 59m and 59s
47h 59m and 58s
47h 59m and 57s.............

inversekinetix
January 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I'm completely estatic! I've been surfing newegg for the last few days and have finally ordered all the parts for my new com. :)

I got a :
EVGA nvidia 780i mobo
a 3.0 ghz core 2 duo
4 gigs of ram
4 150 gig raptor drives
nvidia 8800 gt 512 mb card (im going to get another one later and sli the two )
800watt power supply
and a coolmaster cosmos case to put it all in.

it should be here in two days, i have no clue how im going to survive till then..

I have a few questions for you.

What made you choose a core 2 duo over a quad core?

What are the timings on your ram?

Which 8800gt are you getting?

why 4 x raptors? theyre the X ones right, will you pay extra and get the windowed version?

What OS will you be running on this rig?

deltaprime
January 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM
sounds good to me components will work fine together. what are you planning on doing with all that fancy hardware? movie production ??? :KS

ill come over and have some :popcorn:corn =)

have fun with that great stuff!

hhhhhx
January 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I have a few questions for you.

What made you choose a core 2 duo over a quad core?

What are the timings on your ram?

Which 8800gt are you getting?

why 4 x raptors? theyre the X ones right, will you pay extra and get the windowed version?

What OS will you be running on this rig?

1 - most games are not threaded for quads, and core 2 duo should last longer.

2 - 5-5-5-18 default in bios, but there made to be 4-4-4-15

3 - XFX PVT88PYDE4 GeForce 8800GT Extreme 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP

4 - raptors have 10000 rpm, wanted it to keep up with the system ( not the X ones because my case does not have a window )

5 - HD1 linux mint
HD2 Wondoze Vista
HD3 Linux MCE
HD4 storage

LaRoza
January 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Looks like a nice machine :)

Hope it works out.

(Actually, I hope it is sent to me by accident...)

inversekinetix
January 28th, 2008, 01:19 AM
sounds nice,

I hear that true multithreaded coding is right around the corner, arent there tools in development to aid the process?

have you seen the new MBs with 3 and 4 GPU slots? the 4 gpu drivers are in development and will apparently be released soon, those MBs also support DDR3 ram.

Those HDs are pricey, I just got one for the OS and applications, it would have cost way too much to get mass storage at 10,000 rpm.

Sounds like a nice rig, now all you need is the games to punish it.

What are your thoughts on the physX cards?

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
sounds nice,

I hear that true multithreaded coding is right around the corner, arent there tools in development to aid the process?

have you seen the new MBs with 3 and 4 GPU slots? the 4 gpu drivers are in development and will apparently be released soon, those MBs also support DDR3 ram.

Those HDs are pricey, I just got one for the OS and applications, it would have cost way too much to get mass storage at 10,000 rpm.

Sounds like a nice rig, now all you need is the games to punish it.

What are your thoughts on the physX cards?
1 - yes
2 - ya, also a look at intel's new skulltrail, it should be out in about a year
3 - i'm still undecided about them. it seems very good to bring real life physics to games. but a lot of things seem good. I think alienware has them as an option for there desktops.

inversekinetix
January 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
did you get it it yet?

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 02:38 AM
did you get it it yet?

everything except the ram, it had to come from TN, should be here tomorrow and i can final start it up :)

jpittack
January 28th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Concerning using multiple cards in multiple slots, I don't really think anyone should support this. If you need that power, don't let my view stop you, but...I would rather the community ask the companies to make dual core gpu's rather than two gpu's on one card. Power comsumption has gone way up, and the manufacter processes are down to 55 nm and 65 nm. We had dual core cpus at 90 nm. I don't want to need to buy three cards just to run a video game with some eye candy. I want a single slot, dual core gpu that can do the same thing. I would pay a bit more to have a dual core gpu card then two single core ones. There is an expected performance boost from this.

Congrats on your new computer. I am personally awaiting to see if AMD survies long enough to put out a Fusion CPU/GPU, pretty much making my stated views irrelavant, but o well. If they flub the chip or go belly up before hand, I would just get another laptop in about five years. No desktop at the moment for me and don't want to buy one since the power requirments are so dang high.

inversekinetix
January 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM
could they get 2 cores on one die? the processing power of gpus is far beyond that of cpus. what is the fusion card youre talking of? you can get drivers for some gpus to use them as cpus now.

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 04:45 AM
could they get 2 cores on one die? the processing power of gpus is far beyond that of cpus. what is the fusion card youre talking of? you can get drivers for some gpus to use them as cpus now.

well they have 2 dies on the same card, they should be able to get 2,3,4,8 cores on one chip in theory but think of it like you would need a cpu type cooler cause that would be relly really hot

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Concerning using multiple cards in multiple slots, I don't really think anyone should support this. If you need that power, don't let my view stop you, but...I would rather the community ask the companies to make dual core gpu's rather than two gpu's on one card. Power comsumption has gone way up, and the manufacter processes are down to 55 nm and 65 nm. We had dual core cpus at 90 nm. I don't want to need to buy three cards just to run a video game with some eye candy. I want a single slot, dual core gpu that can do the same thing. I would pay a bit more to have a dual core gpu card then two single core ones. There is an expected performance boost from this.

Congrats on your new computer. I am personally awaiting to see if AMD survies long enough to put out a Fusion CPU/GPU, pretty much making my stated views irrelavant, but o well. If they flub the chip or go belly up before hand, I would just get another laptop in about five years. No desktop at the moment for me and don't want to buy one since the power requirments are so dang high.

I believe that dual core GPU's is good, but once we have those then people will get multiple dual core GPU's so that they can have twice the power. so basicly the same thing, just with twice the power. Theres allwase somebody crazy and rich enough to do it. :lolflag:

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
well they have 2 dies on the same card, they should be able to get 2,3,4,8 cores on one chip in theory but think of it like you would need a cpu type cooler cause that would be relly really hot

water cooling :)

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 04:53 AM
water cooling :)

i dont like the idea of putting a polar((molecularly speaking)) liquid in my computer, i still say oil is a better idea, but you need alot more powerful pump

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 04:55 AM
i dont like the idea of putting a polar((molecularly speaking)) liquid in my computer, i still say oil is a better idea, but you need alot more powerful pump

need something that has the density of water but the properties of oil..hmmm.......

jpittack
January 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Of course someone will be crazy enough to do it. Some always has more money to spend on computer parts then they really need to. Water cooling, sure, but why not go nuts and fill your computer case with a liquid that doesn't transfer electricty. I've heard somelike vegtable oil was use.

I am trying to find alternate ways to speed up my system since I am on laptop. I can speed up the GPU, so I'm trying booting to RAM. Can you imagine taking something like Ubuntu, booting to RAM, booting your video game to RAM, and then having a Fusion? You use your hard drive once, and then all of the sudden you've beated a level before you put in your password (not possible, but I like imagery).

Fusion is a proposed CPU/GPU set up from AMD. The idea is to have mabye a quad core or dual core cpu, but on the same die, have a gpu. Speed everything up like crazy. I am suspecting I would end up with a quad core cpu, single core gpu, much to my dismay. I would like the dual core gpu to be around by then. Scheduled for release in 2009, means we get it late 2009 or in 2010.

I think we should be supporting AMD at the moment, since I think they have great ideas. Intel is still selling $1,000 cpus and rich kids are still buying them. Intel is stealing AMD's ideas. I think they have something like hypertransport now, along with the memory controller on the cpu. Support the underdog, drive down prices, and hopefully we will have some nice competion.

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Mineral oil pc:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-202578782864687922

also today ive been putting together what i can of my computer so here is my first pic:
http://stashbox.org/76079/photo.jpg

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM
yeah i saw that a long time ago on techtv but thats not thermo effiecient cause oil heats much more quickly than water cause water has a very high specific gravity

but if you were to make a submerged one, id say defintily go with fully synthetic motor oil

vegetable and fruit oils will rot and petrol oils will corrode

and good choice on cpu cooler, i loved my old thermaltake blue orb II ((ive recently graduated to the max orb though))

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 05:13 AM
yeah i saw that a long time ago on techtv but thats not thermo effiecient cause oil heats much more quickly than water cause water has a very high specific gravity

but if you were to make a submerged one, id say defintily go with fully synthetic motor oil

vegetable and fruit oils will rot and petrol oils will corrode

and good choice on cpu cooler, i loved my old thermaltake blue orb II ((ive recently graduated to the max orb though))

have you seen the new cooler master shere, it looks realy good

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM
have you seen the new cooler master shere, it looks realy good

thats one of the few areas on pcs im uptodate on, i love the cooling aspect, yay for thermo dynamics

but i still have pretty deep brand loyalty to thermal take ((i have used tons of others that work just as well though))

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM
thats one of the few areas on pcs im uptodate on, i love the cooling aspect, yay for thermo dynamics

but i still have pretty deep brand loyalty to thermal take ((i have used tons of others that work just as well though))

definatly, thermaltake does some great work

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM
definatly, thermaltake does some great work

i got addicted to them with ram coolers ((this was before high end ram came with it))(i still have a bunch of old ram with these old heatsyncs)
but they have yet to let me down with one of thier products and thats important to me

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 05:38 AM
i got addicted to them with ram coolers ((this was before high end ram came with it))(i still have a bunch of old ram with these old heatsyncs)
but they have yet to let me down with one of thier products and thats important to me

what system do you have?

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 05:50 AM
what system do you have?

i use 4 differnt computers, but the one in my profile gets most of my attention, the other arent on much other than when i need them ((cause my main desktop has 4 screens so it takes alot of power)) and theres 3 other computers in my house that i admin for

jpittack
January 28th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I am a laptop only user, no desktop, so I feel a little left out. I have been going nuts about reducing the heat produced in my laptop, and having been looking for a pure copper heatsink for my laptop.

Something I would like to see is the power supply having a fan out the back and then out of the top of the case. Some are set up to blow right down on to the cpu! Gpu's in atx blow down on to other componets or straight into the floor. btx is just right back to the cpu. Current designs just don't make sense to me.

My idea. Leave the motherboard the way it is. Move the motherboard to the top of the case, rotate it 90 degrees, so the ports are on top. Case fan would now be at the bottom of the motherboard. cpu blows out the side still, with a case fan in front of that. Power supply goes in the bottom left for noise concerns. Hard drives in the bottom right. This way nothing blows hot air at something hot. If you use fans on the hard drives, well, then I think your going to far.

What do you guys think?

bufsabre666
January 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM
What do you guys think?

i think btx was a way better design but it required to change alot of things that have become standard so it defunct kinda fast, not many things are btx anymore

jpittack
January 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I don't support the btx design. I like my crazy idea of flipping the computer around, with the idea that standards don't get changed. Pretty much change where you screw in the motherboard, and move the holders for the hard drives and power supply. Call it ctx.

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I am a laptop only user, no desktop, so I feel a little left out. I have been going nuts about reducing the heat produced in my laptop, and having been looking for a pure copper heatsink for my laptop.

Something I would like to see is the power supply having a fan out the back and then out of the top of the case. Some are set up to blow right down on to the cpu! Gpu's in atx blow down on to other componets or straight into the floor. btx is just right back to the cpu. Current designs just don't make sense to me.

My idea. Leave the motherboard the way it is. Move the motherboard to the top of the case, rotate it 90 degrees, so the ports are on top. Case fan would now be at the bottom of the motherboard. cpu blows out the side still, with a case fan in front of that. Power supply goes in the bottom left for noise concerns. Hard drives in the bottom right. This way nothing blows hot air at something hot. If you use fans on the hard drives, well, then I think your going to far.

What do you guys think?

heres what i did to cool down my lappy. I too the keyboard off, with the ribbon still attached. It made the computer cool off at least 10c.

http://stashbox.org/76093/photo%282%29.jpg

jpittack
January 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The idea is a bit nuts for me. How would you take the laptop around then? I spend all my time away from home during the week, constantly carrying the laptop in my backpack. The super key is loose because of this.

The first I will do to cool off my laptop is clean the inside and then apply some nice compound to the heatsink. The heatsink is attached to both the cpu and the chipset, mabye gpu, since its integrated. I wish a pure copper heatsink existed. I don't trust myself to make one. My little steam enginer from high school worked above specs, but I think thats because the specs were way to moderate. I used a compressed air enginer to test it. Specs said max psi at 7 or 8. I was at 60, but only because of limitations of the air compressor.

Anyways. The other idea I have is trying to boot to ram, following the wiki guide. Keep the hard drive off that way. It warms up my right hand pretty quick. Not as bad as my girlfriends hp laptop. The touchpad gets HOT!

hhhhhx
January 31st, 2008, 05:44 AM
Hello everybody,

i thaught i would give you a little update. Ive gotten all the parts and everythings up and running. It is fast as hell! right now im on microcrap vista, because if you havent allready guessed this is a gaming computer. :) Its scary fast. Surprizingly enough everything went togeather withought a glitch.... untill i got to windows, and i dont even want to go there. We here at the fourms all have heard how that goes. :lolflag:

( also i went on UF through windows, and it marks it as a untrusted site :) )

jpittack
January 31st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Glad to hear everything is working out just fine. I'm a bit jealous. After doing my own research on hardware, I might upgrade my processor in my laptop, with the intent of energy efficency from the new 65 nm. Once their out, then I will need to decide. And hopefully as a result, I might be able to keep up with your awesome gaming you must be doing right now.

Cheers to wasting time and loving every minute of it!

AceMilo
February 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Any word on if you got ununtu running? I build a similar pc for a friend with the same board and it won't boot ubuntu. It just boots to a black screen with constant beeping from the pc speaker and eventually resets. I want to build a pc with the same board for myself soon but want ubuntu on it.

hhhhhx
February 9th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Any word on if you got ununtu running? I build a similar pc for a friend with the same board and it won't boot ubuntu. It just boots to a black screen with constant beeping from the pc speaker and eventually resets. I want to build a pc with the same board for myself soon but want ubuntu on it.

yep i got ubuntu running, with a bit of fusteration i might add. what i did is reset the bios to all default values, use a IDE line for the disk drive and made sure that it boots first. also i installed feorda, then whitped it and installed ubuntu. i dont know why, but it works. :)

AceMilo
February 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I'm looking to build with this board, 2 500gig sata drives in raid0, and 2 8800gt's in sli, what are the chances of getting ubuntu working easily, without using another ide drive?

hhhhhx
February 9th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'm looking to build with this board, 2 500gig sata drives in raid0, and 2 8800gt's in sli, what are the chances of getting ubuntu working easily, without using another ide drive?
IDE shouldn't matter, and i only use it because i have a old cd drive. 2 of my HDD's are sata (one win, the other ubuntu) as for raid, i don't use it, but to the best of my knowledge it is pretty simple if you use the ubuntu alternate install. also, if you are going to sli two of the cards, you will might get into trouble, as sli drivers for Linux aren't that great yet. on my system i have one 8800gts 512mb, and that works like a charm through envy :). it should be an easy setup, if you are patient. also are you using just ubuntu on it or are you dual booting into windows?

dnns123
February 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Uhm, the new Nvdia 9 series will come out soon :P

Also, i have a techie questions because i plan to buy new ram.
I have 4 slots for ram and I want 4 gb of ram, which is better?
4 X 1GB?
or
2 X 2GB?

I envy your proc. I can only OC mine to 3.2Ghz with my crappy stock fan.

hhhhhx
February 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Uhm, the new Nvdia 9 series will come out soon :P

Also, i have a techie questions because i plan to buy new ram.
I have 4 slots for ram and I want 4 gb of ram, which is better?
4 X 1GB?
or
2 X 2GB?

I envy your proc. I can only OC mine to 3.2Ghz with my crappy stock fan.

it really dosent make much difference, but strictly speaking it better to go with the 4 sticks, because then less load get put on each stick. but at such low rates, it wont make a diff. also, i believe that it is sometimes cheaper to buy 2 sticks at 2gb each. :)

you also might want to note that if your using a 32 bit system, it can only handle the first 3.7gb.

AceMilo
February 10th, 2008, 03:37 AM
IDE shouldn't matter, and i only use it because i have a old cd drive. 2 of my HDD's are sata (one win, the other ubuntu) as for raid, i don't use it, but to the best of my knowledge it is pretty simple if you use the ubuntu alternate install. also, if you are going to sli two of the cards, you will might get into trouble, as sli drivers for Linux aren't that great yet. on my system i have one 8800gts 512mb, and that works like a charm through envy :). it should be an easy setup, if you are patient. also are you using just ubuntu on it or are you dual booting into windows?

I want to triple boot between xp64, vista 64, and ubuntu, using ubuntu for everyday use, xp for stability and gaming, and vista for directx 10 gaming.