PDA

View Full Version : Streaming mp3s P2P Illegal?

dr.silly
January 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
So I was struck by an idea today. Here's the obstacle all modern inventions hit: Is it legal? P2P streaming music not downloading. Is it legal to let other people listen to your music without downloading it?

bobbocanfly
January 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
So I was struck by an idea today. Here's the obstacle all modern inventions hit: Is it legal? P2P streaming music not downloading. Is it legal to let other people listen to your music without downloading it?

Technically streaming is downloading. It just plays it at the same time and doesnt wait for the whole thing to download before playing it. Anyway even if that weren't the case the RIAA seriously would not like you listening to music that hasnt been payed for. Not that many people really care what the RIAA says anymore.

bufsabre666
January 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
look at myspace music, its on everyones page and you cont download it without paying, but you can listen to it all you want, they want you to listen to it so youll be inspired to download

besides if you couldnt listen without paying radio would need to be shut down

and just because ill site an artist from a famous band

David Draiman of disturbed:
"This is not rocket science. Instead of spending all this money litigating against kids who are the people they're trying to sell things to in the first place, they have to learn how to effectively use the Internet. For the artists, my ***... I didn't ask them to protect me, and I don't want their protection."

moeFinley
January 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Streaming is broadcasting and you'll have to pay royalties to do so. It's a contentious issue at the moment as Internet radio stations are being effected by new ways royalties get payed.

By the way it's very easy to download the songs from MySpace for free :)

bufsabre666
January 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
By the way it's very easy to download the songs from MySpace for free :)

well yeah but its even easier to download the whole album or discography in bittorrent and stick up your middle finger at the riaa

Tuna-Fish
January 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
look at myspace music, its on everyones page and you cont download it without paying, but you can listen to it all you want, they want you to listen to it so youll be inspired to download

You do realize that both myspace and all the radio channels pay royalties, right?

Just because YOU don't pay anyone anything, doesn't mean they don't get paid. Especially if you have to watch ads instead.

Presumably, to be able to broadcast streaming p2p, you'll need a broadcast license.

bufsabre666
January 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
You do realize that both myspace and all the radio channels pay royalties, right?

Just because YOU don't pay anyone anything, doesn't mean they don't get paid. Especially if you have to watch ads instead.

Presumably, to be able to broadcast streaming p2p, you'll need a broadcast license.

no i didnt realize that, i thought the advertisments were because they look pretty

honestly theres no reason to flame over something thats common knowledge

Steveway
January 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yup here in Germany you have to pay to the GEMA.
Of course if you only play music that you made yourself or that is given away under special licences then you can freely broadcast them.

moeFinley
January 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM

I'm sure MySpace have worked out a deal because it would cost them why to much to just pay royalties. The record companies probably just take a much larger chunk of any sales. But I don't know.

Spike-X
January 22nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Is it legal to let other people listen to your music without downloading it?

Considering people are getting sued these days for playing their frackin' radios too loud, I don't like your chances.

PoorMexican
January 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
That's like saying listening to the radio is illeagal. In my opinion, music should be free to listen to. If you are going to download the music then buy it legally but listening to it streaming? Come on. You might as well go to jail for singing it in public.

Steveway
January 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
It's not illegal to listen to that music but streaming without paying royalities is illegal.

swoll1980
January 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM

and just because ill site an artist from a famous band

Radio isn't free it's payed for by the advertisments

KiwiNZ
January 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Depending on the statutes of your country as to the legal status. But generally this applies.

1. Downloading music un paid for is illegal.
2. Steaming music un paid for is illegal.
3. Broadcasting music unpaid for is illegal.
4. Any unauthorised public performance of music is illegal.

And most immportant , the promotoin , facilitation and support of illegal activity is prohibited on these forums. Please respect that and do not put these forums at risk

inversekinetix
January 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Depending on the statutes of your country as to the legal status. But generally this applies.

And most immportant , the promotoin , facilitation and support of illegal activity is prohibited on these forums. Please respect that and do not put these forums at risk

is it ok to deep fry it?

:-P

atomkarinca
January 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
I guess there's a little misunderstanding here. Streaming from a source is not against any law, AFAIK. The one who streams it should be worried. Thus, streaming music to a source needs paying certain fees, depending on the licence of that material of course.

inversekinetix
January 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
im pretty sure on my music is says i cant transmit the music by any known means.

deadguy87
January 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I actually know a bit about this, to host a streaming server, such as icecast or shoutcast requires a license ( you also need to have paid for the music you will stream) so to stream it without the licenses is illegal, although I don' think they will hunt you down for doing so

hyper_ch
January 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM

For Switzerland:

1. Downloading music un paid for is legal.
2. Steaming music un paid for can be legal.
3. Broadcasting music unpaid for can be legal.

lyceum
January 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
If you want free music, as in free check out:

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

"Jamendo offers free access and free download of music tracks, published with Creative Commons licences. On Jamendo, the Artists choose to give access to their music for free to the users."

"You can download mp3 music via the http protocol for free, legaly and without limitation, by clicking on the download links, directly from our player, from the album page or a playlist. The music is also available in ogg format and via eMule and BitTorrent networks."

The next logical evolution of music is here: the creative commons license. Stop supporting the corporations and start supporting the artists. You can donate money to the artists you like (or don't, just like many FOSS programs) and download as much as you like. I have found some great music here, and just like at the store, there are bands I am not so crazy about.

:guitar:

Kingfield
January 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
HERE (http://cristgaming.com/pirate.sw) is your answer:

:D