PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating 8.04

teejay17
January 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Is anyone else anticipating 8.04 LTS?
I know I am. I have a feeling that once 8.04 is released, I'll be using it for quite awhile. I don't think I'll be too interested in the bleeding edge stuff after 8.04.
The only reason that I am using the various editions now is because there has been huge strides in Ubuntu development since 6.06.

Jimmey
January 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
You say that now, but once plans have been layed down for 8.10, you might change your mind ;-)

Bungo Pony
January 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'll be staying with 8.04 as well. I never used 6.06 because my PC was too new (it struggled with Edgy).

I want to customize my OS, and have some time to enjoy the customization before upgrading :)

My biggest debate right now is if I want to go 64 bit or stay with 32.

diskotek
January 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'll be staying with 8.04 as well. I never used 6.06 because my PC was too new (it struggled with Edgy).

I want to customize my OS, and have some time to enjoy the customization before upgrading :)

My biggest debate right now is if I want to go 64 bit or stay with 32.

me either, i really want to use 64bit ones, but i failed much..actually i couldn't run 7.10 also (32 or 64 bit)....

NilsHG
January 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
i am always looking forward to new releases. now that i have a fairly decent pc i test other distros in virtualbox. i will be running 8.04 and only stick to it if the changes in the next release arent significant. but then again, we release a new version, right? :P
so who am i kidding. i will probably update to the newest ubuntu always. i do write down what i am adjusting after a fresh install. so setting up a fresh ubuntu the way i like is pretty simple, still less of a burden than reinstalling windows once was.

for those hesitating to try 64bit: i run gutsy 64bit on intel p35 chipset, pentium dualcore @3ghz, 8800gt and 4gig ddr2. so far i have yet to discover anything that does not work compared to my 32bit experience. i do expect that hardy will even improve on 64bit level.

lefen
January 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
there has been huge strides in Ubuntu development since 6.06.

Yes, I'm expected to be blown away by Hardy after using Dapper for the last year ;)

Incense
January 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
8.04 will be the deciding factor on keeping Ubuntu on my system or not. I have been using Dapper since I upgraded my system from Hoary on 2006, and it is has worked flawlessly the entire time! I'm expecting the same out of 8.04, and if it lets me down then I'll be moving to Debian. I really hope it's dapper worthy.

Kingsley
January 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I know I am. I have a feeling that once 8.04 is released, I'll be using it for quite awhile. I don't think I'll be too interested in the bleeding edge stuff after 8.04.
The only reason that I am using the various editions now is because there has been huge strides in Ubuntu development since 6.06.

I'm pretty sure there will be huge strides in development after 8.04. I may try it out to make a comparison with Fedora 9.

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
the major update set for 6.06 came out yesterday and it should now be on par with gutsy level workings.

lefen
January 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
the major update set for 6.06 came out yesterday and it should now be on par with gutsy level workings.

Could you clarify what this means? It sounds like everything you can do on gutsy, you should now be able to do on dapper. If this is right then howcome this is just happening now?

Thanks!

Mr. Picklesworth
January 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hardy is pretty darn exciting. PolicyKit, Pulse Audio, new Wacom drivers... and this is just Alpha 3! :)

Maybe we will even see GIMP that is not a release candidate in this release. If we do, Hardy will be my favourite Ubuntu release ever, probably until 8.10

SunnyRabbiera
January 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I dont know, for me I might stick to mandriva as ubuntu has been a shaky road for me.
Dapper and edgy were awesome on my system, but feisty and gutsy did not fare well.
I am hoping stability will be a factor in releases after hardy this time around, ignore flashy stuff and give me stability already!

macogw
January 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'm sending my laptop off to get the power jack, optical drive, and hard drive replaced (yay Gateway!), but when I get it back, I'll probably put the Hardy alpha/beta/whatever's-out-then on straight away instead of Gutsy and ride unstable until release.

gn2
January 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
To those wavering over 64-bit, there have been enormous strides forward in 64-bit developement.
I switched to it three weeks ago without a single problem.

Spike-X
January 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
I also haven't had any major problems with 64-bit Gutsy. Getting Flash to work, for instance, is a breeze now.

I'm definitely looking forward to hardy. So much so, that I'm planning the building of my next (Windows free!) computer around the release date.

spamzilla
January 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hardy is going to be one hell of a release, but its a bit buggy at the moment so unless you want breakage, stay away from it :D

macogw
January 24th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Hardy is going to be one hell of a release, but its a bit buggy at the moment so unless you want breakage, stay away from it :D

But if you don't mind a bit of breakage, please play with it and submit bug reports--good, informative bug reports.

spamzilla
January 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM
But if you don't mind a bit of breakage, please play with it and submit bug reports--good, informative bug reports.

I have been doing so since alpha 1 :D

hessiess
January 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
mot poticualy botherd, i intand to use 7.04 for as long as posable

PmDematagoda
January 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
For all those going to install Ubuntu Hardy, if you are concerned about your privacy and like to lock your screen often, then Hardy is still not for you since gnome-screensaver locks up completely when you lock the screen so that you can unlock the screen only by killing the gnome-screensaver process.

But other than that very small issue(for me) everything thing else about Hardy is very well done and I feel that it has the potential to hit the PC world with a bit of a bang:).

bash
January 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I also haven't had any major problems with 64-bit Gutsy. Getting Flash to work, for instance, is a breeze now.

I'm definitely looking forward to hardy. So much so, that I'm planning the building of my next (Windows free!) computer around the release date.

Installing flash in 64-bit is now just as easy as installing it in 32-bit. No difference (at least for me). The only negative point I experienced is that there is no (official) java plugin for firefox. You can use the opensource icedtea version though. On the up side the system seem much more responsive and just overall "quicker" (my subjective opinion).

Presto123
January 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I think I am going to get it here soon and install it as a second partition over my server. I'm really curious at this point.

Incense
January 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I think I am going to get it here soon and install it as a second partition over my server. I'm really curious at this point.

Same here, I'm thinking it's time to fire up my VM and test this alpha out! I just realized that we're seeing alpha releases, rather then the fun animal terms (Flight, knock, tribe...). Anyone know why that is?

Presto123
January 28th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I just got it installed, got a bug right off, but it's already listed in launchpad. Not bad, though! Seems either theres a new thing in Compiz or I just missed it before. Runs pretty smooth for being unstable still.

New system monitor is nice, too.

I think I'm going to stick with this unless something REALLY buggy happens.

bruce89
January 28th, 2008, 02:45 AM
My favourite feature of Hardy:

bruce@Scooby-Doo:~$ firefox
The program 'geany' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install firefox
bash: firefox: command not found

XULRunner is very nice. (which has been used in Debian for years, typical)

Presto123
January 28th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I'm not getting that when I type in "firefox" in the terminal. ?

klange
January 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I'm currently in the process of upgrading one of my machines to Hardy, primarily for easy X11-XCB support (and because I want some newer versions of different development things) Also, as a Compiz Fusion developer, I'm obligated to test C-F on Hardy and hopefully ensure that some features get included before the final release (we have a frick-load of new plugins and features just in the past week, and it would be great to see them in 8.04)

steveneddy
January 28th, 2008, 04:45 AM

My server is on 6.06 LTS and I want my lappie to be an LTS install also.

8.04 - hurry!

Presto123
January 28th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I'm currently in the process of upgrading one of my machines to Hardy, primarily for easy X11-XCB support (and because I want some newer versions of different development things) Also, as a Compiz Fusion developer, I'm obligated to test C-F on Hardy and hopefully ensure that some features get included before the final release (we have a frick-load of new plugins and features just in the past week, and it would be great to see them in 8.04)

Oh, man. Love the Compiz! I have a suggestion for you if you ever have the time. I think it could look really neat merged into the Ubuntu line. :)