PDA

View Full Version : what do you call a computer on ubuntu?

secondstage
January 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
if a computer with mc osX is a mac,
and a computer with windows is a pc,
then what is computer with ubuntu?

beercz
January 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
A computer running linux (ubuntu in this case) or simply a linux pc or ubuntu pc.

I tend to refer to a machine running windows a 'windows pc' and a mac an 'apple mac'.

Rhubarb
January 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I call apple computers PCs (or computers), because the hardware is the same as any other PC running windows / linux.

So, as the hardware is the same (apple / m$ / linux), then there's just the operating system.
Hence either call it by it's operating system, or just refer it as a computer or a pc (after all, a PC = Personal Computer).

Zero Prime
January 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
A Linux box maybe?

a9bejo
January 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I call apple computers PCs (or computers), because the hardware is the same as any other PC running windows / linux.

Same here. I chose to ignore Apple marketing and call things by its name.

moeFinley
January 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
That's how Apple get away with their cheeky advertising. When they talk about a "PC" not being able to do this and that Microsoft can't sue because there not talking specifically about Windows.

Why not follow in Apple's shoes and come up with an cool non technical name for a Linux machine. XBox would have been cool but I think someone might be using that already.

popch
January 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Same here. I chose to ignore Apple marketing and call things by its name.

That is, you call a computer designed for use by one person a PC. That used to be IBM marketing, hence the Capital Letters. The Personal Computer.

a9bejo
January 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
That's how Apple get away with their cheeky advertising. When they talk about a "PC" not being able to do this and that Microsoft can't sue because there not talking specifically about Windows.

Why not follow in Apple's shoes and come up with an cool non technical name for a Linux machine. XBox would have been cool but I think someone might be using that already.

I think Apple invented the term "Mac" because they are a hardware company. They are selling complete systems, hardware and software, and so they give the whole package a name. This gives the impression that apple computers are completely different from other Computers.

I don't think we need to do this: There are already enough people who think that PCs and Windows are the same thing. But If you still need a name, what about "FreePC"? At least this will get peoples attention ;)

a9bejo
January 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
That is, you call a computer designed for use by one person a PC. That used to be IBM marketing, hence the Capital Letters. The Personal Computer.

That is correct.

Rhubarb
January 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
PC is an acronym, hence it's uppercase.
Just like RAM is an acronym (Random Access Memory).

A lot of people call their linux computers "Linux Boxes".

dnns123
January 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Xbox.... dang! that sounds cool for a LinuXBox, if only microsoft didnt take it.. hahaha

popch
January 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think Apple invented the term "Mac" because they are a hardware company.

Actually, they sold Macintosh computers for a while. McIntosh is by some strange coincidence a kind of apple.

They seem to have dropped that kind of name and nowadays sell only iFruits.

Bungo Pony
January 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM

I don't know about you, but I use a Microcomputer :D

BTW, guess where Microsoft got their name from.

billgoldberg
January 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Every computer running windows, apple or linux or anything else is a PC.

The pc thing being windows is mac propaganda.

spoons
January 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I call my computer a tuxbox.

:guitar:

arsenic23
January 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I tend to to call a machine by its CPU. So everything with an x86 processor in it is a PC, including newer Macs. I call the old PPC Macs PowerPCs, and etc... This applies even to SPARC machines.

Linuxratty
January 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
A Linux box maybe?

Yeah,I call it my Linux box,or Linux machine.

beercz
January 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Shouldn't it be ubuntu on a computer?

Anyway, I call it efficient!! :lolflag:

macogw
January 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
if a computer with mc osX is a mac,
and a computer with windows is a pc,
then what is computer with ubuntu?
Since when does running OSX make it not a PC? It's still a PC. PC just means it's not a server, mainframe, or embedded system. If it's something you use for yourself, it's a Personal Computer.

If it runs Windows, I call it a "Windows box," and if it runs Ubuntu, I call it an "Ubuntu box," and if it runs Fedora, I call it a "Fedora box," etc.

If it runs OSX, I call it "useless" :D

bufsabre666
January 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Since when does running OSX make it not a PC? It's still a PC. PC just means it's not a server, mainframe, or embedded system. If it's something you use for yourself, it's a Personal Computer.

If it runs Windows, I call it a "Windows box," and if it runs Ubuntu, I call it an "Ubuntu box," and if it runs Fedora, I call it a "Fedora box," etc.

If it runs OSX, I call it "useless" :D

i vote for this one, i like that reasoning

popch
January 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM

Does it stop being a PC when a second user runs a session with VNC or VirtualBox from another computer? If so, does it revert to being a PC when the other user logs off?

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I tend to to call a machine by its CPU. So everything with an x86 processor in it is a PC, including newer Macs. I call the old PPC Macs PowerPCs, and etc... This applies even to SPARC machines.
What about ia64 do you call that some thing special too?

arsenic23
January 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
What about ia64 do you call that some thing special too?

I never put much thought into it, seeing as I'll more then likely not have one in the forseeable future. But, I supose I would call the computer an Itanium, if I did have one.

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
A computer is what I call a pc with linux.

notwen
January 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
ubuntu on a computer = logical

=]

and now that macs are intel-based they are basicly PCs too. i generally call them OS* machine/box. this is my linux box, this is my windows box, etc. although i still refer to apple PCs as macs. just the way i learned it i s'pose. =]

Dr Small
January 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
I call it my Linux box, or their hostnames, such as "mycroft" (my server name) and "darkghost" my destkop hostname. ;)

Lots of times I refer to other systems as machines.

swoll1980
January 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
well if a person on crack is a crack head then a computer on ubuntu would be a
ubuntu head

ellis rowell
January 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I think we should use something short and snappy

How about "UBox" for Ubuntu, "FBox" for Fedora, "RBox" for Red Hat etc.

UBox could be read alternatively to mean Unix.
Maybe a lot of Windows users refer to their computers as that FBox.

macogw
January 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Does it stop being a PC when a second user runs a session with VNC or VirtualBox from another computer? If so, does it revert to being a PC when the other user logs off?

How would that make it not a PC? Ohhh are you referring to the word "server"? Server means it hosts like...websites or mail or...things like that. Just because Wesnoth has its little "server" thing for playing over the network doesn't mean the whole comp is a server. I mean computers that are dedicated servers and generally do not have GUIs or anything. I also get fairly confused when people ask why Ubuntu Server doesn't have a GUI....it's a server....wtf does it need a GUI for? I guess that has to do with Microsoft's affinity to wasting cycles and memory by keeping a GUI running all the time, needlesly..they think servers are *supposed* to have GUIs hahaha

mridkash
January 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I will second, tuxBox

And I'm running an ubuntu tuxbox, with a virtual fedora tuxbox.

inversekinetix
January 24th, 2008, 01:20 AM
in answer to the thread title.

1. from a windows user perspective: WASTED/GAMELESS
2. from a linux user perspective: LIBERATED/EMPOWERED

gregcss
January 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Kind of off topic but i dont like HP's new slogan "The Computer Is Personal Again". How can they say that when their PC's run Vista which is leased not owned by the buyer, DRM garbage, etc, etc.

johndc
January 24th, 2008, 03:19 AM
last time I checked, the OS ran ON the computer, not t'other way 'round.

picpak
January 24th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I just call it Linux. Windows is Windows. OSX is a brick.

jcwmoore
January 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM
My lappy is called Bessy,
my iMac (running ubuntu 7.04) is called Jessy
my XP box (for ipod management) is called Lessley
my home server (Ubuntu 6.06) is called Cassy...

notice a pattern, well maybe i'm a little obsessive but I like my computer naming scheme...