PDA

View Full Version : Zattoo - TV to Go

PartisanEntity
January 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
I saw a docu on German TV about this the other day. Basically it is online live TV. Depending on your location and the laws that apply to you, you will have different channels offered to you.

I have not tried it out yet.

http://zattoo.com/

Anyone familiar with it?

conphara
January 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
I am familiar with it, and I really like this app. It works great with Ubuntu and streams rather well.

Of course I can only get about 8 TV channels but the main national channels are available.

Highly recommendable!

Menthol
January 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
can you get channels in English ? I'm at work at the moment so I dare not click the link :lolflag:

PartisanEntity
January 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yes you can, for example Aljazeera English, BBC, BBC World, CNBC among others. You can also get German, Italian and French channels.

PartisanEntity
January 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
How large is the Zattoo software? Would anyone mind sending it to me?

edit: nevermind, I have received a copy

rowanparker
January 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
I seems very good.
It would be nice if sky did something similar then you'd never have to worry about the range of channels or anything.
Maybe somet like you add £5 on to your sky subscription and you can watch any channel online from anywhere (in the UK).

Of course, knowing sky it'd be Windows only.
But if something like this did happen it'd be very good.

popch
January 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
The terms of use are not all that clear. However, you can download the software only upon entering your personal data on their web site, and the right to download or use the software is not transferable. Thus it appears that no one can send you that software.

Edit: Oops - how come, then, that you got it? Did I misunderstand the terms of use?

PartisanEntity
January 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
The terms of use are not all that clear. However, you can download the software only upon entering your personal data on their web site, and the right to download or use the software is not transferable. Thus it appears that no one can send you that software.

Edit: Oops - how come, then, that you got it? Did I misunderstand the terms of use?

Hi popch, I did not read through the terms of use so I was not aware that it's linked to entering your personal info, however someone sent it to me anyway. In other words, a signed up user sent me their copy.

Edit: Where are the terms of use? I cannot find any link to them?

PartisanEntity
January 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Found the link to the legal stuff:
https://zattoo.com/legal

It does not state that one can only download the software if they have signed up. However upon trying to use the viewer a message informed me that the service is not available in Austria yet. Also, in order to use the viewer, you need to log in.

Hopefully they will have this service here soon. A friend of mine tried it in the UK but apparently only few channels are available there at the moment.

p_quarles
January 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I first heard about this several months ago, and my access status (U.S.) hasn't changed in that time. Seems to be slow-going.

brennydoogles
January 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I first heard about this several months ago, and my access status (U.S.) hasn't changed in that time. Seems to be slow-going.

What all is available in the US? That will be the difference between using it and not for me.

p_quarles
January 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
What all is available in the US? That will be the difference between using it and not for me.
Nothing.

popch
January 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM

They are still in beta and trying to start a business, it appears. If RAM serves me right, I have read someplace that they were still students.

p_quarles
January 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
They are still in beta and trying to start a business, it appears. If RAM serves me right, I have read someplace that they were still students.
Founded by a computer science professor, actually:
http://zattoo.com/people

The countries it's available to, for those wondering:

Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Belgium, Norway, and the UK

PartisanEntity
January 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Are you sure they are students? I saw a documentary about Zattoo, on German TV, and there was a Swiss company behind this.

I guess the underlying technology was/is developed by students somewhere, but Zattoo as far as I could tell from the docu was a business with staff and managers who did not look like students at all.

edit: oops should have read more slowly, p_quarles post has all the info.

mrgnash
January 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
There's a reason I never turn on my TV. Why would I want to stream it on my PC? (Even if I could, which I can't, because there aren't any available channels for Australia, it seems)

hyper_ch
January 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Been using it since August 2006... first only in vmware in windows but now also the linux client. It's quite good and offers a great variety of channels - you get almost all channels that you wuold get on from a cablenetwork here in Switzerland.

Quality is ok, sometimes it lags a bit....

Overall it was a good replacement for a tv when I had (or it was occupied by my ex-room mates)