PDA

View Full Version : Linux and open source research paper(repost)

nkobel003
January 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm writing a research paper (approximately 20 - 30 pages) on Linux and open source software. As of right now, a big problem exists that I need to take care of right away: what are some observable communities?

My professor said that we need to have at least ONE observable community (forums not okay) that I can go to for two hours a week to add to my paper. This class is an introductory class to researching, so deviating from that path is forbidden. I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and there is a corporation called Linux Box that deals with customizing open source software to suit business's needs.
http://www.linuxbox.com
Does anyone have an idea for an "observable community?"

My biggest concern is the "observable community" aspect, but I also need some resources for researching this topic. Does anyone have some good resources for researching Linux and open source software? Suggest things like GPL, history of, comparison with Windows and Mac, etc.

I hope to take an objective point of view on this paper, so please avoid Linux fundamentalist resources. (it's almost like a religion, ha!)

Thanks for all of your time, and feel free (as in free speech) to email me,

Nick

Malta paul
January 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hi, Perhaps you need to contact your local Ubuntu Users Group.
There is one in Michigan. You could attend one of their meetings?
ubuntu-us-mi@lists.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichiganTeam
Hope this is of help :)

az
January 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
What about IRC?

Would that be considered an observable community?

nkobel003
January 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hmm, an IRC, to me, would be a good environment to study; however, my professor stated that it is too anonymous and I cannot see people's reactions, immediate unsensored thoughts, etc. I thought about webcams and speaker phones, but when you interact with a group of people, some not having a face or voice, some with, it is hard to catch and observe those who don't--who mind you--are contributing to the conversation and observation process.

Maybe this is just a community that exists ONLY on the internet. I'm sure there are things like meetings, conferences, etc. but when? Where? Am I invited?

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
most Linux user groups meet only once a month if you lived in the north east you might be able to get 2 hours a week but computer users don't have any weekly meetings most of the time they are really something that people meet to talk about a lot.

nkobel003
January 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
How do I find out about these meetings? Where are they? Any links?

popch
January 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
In what field are you to write your work? If your prof insists on an observable community, it appars not be about engineering, pricing or marketing. Is it to be a paper on sociology (if that's the word I need)?

nkobel003
January 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
My paper is about anything--whether the psychology in people's head as to NOT choose Linux, to the cost, employment, and marketing of it. Anything that I can observe is fine. I will work with what I can get--relevent to my topic or not! ha