PDA

View Full Version : Python GUI help (or prior to... ;))

ryanVickers
January 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
I am learning python and I think I know enough now to move on to a basic gui - it doesn't have to use the proper theme or anything, just create a window with some sliders, buttons, etc. and hook them to code. If at all possible I would like it to be event driven.

Any ideas of what I should be looking for? :confused:
ex. I've heard there are sub-sections, if you will, of python like pyGTK and pyQT - I don't need anything fancy - I just want it to be easy and if at all possible event driven

LaRoza
January 22nd, 2008, 05:56 AM
See my wiki.

EasyGUI is extremly easy to use, but isn't event driven. Might be useful to play with or for simple functionality.

wxWidgets is what I recommend, but that is just an opinion. Tkinter, wxWidgets, pyGTK, and others may be your cup of tea (coffee, beer, vinegar)

ryanVickers
January 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
meh, vinegar's good :p

ok, I'll have a look at those and see how it goes!

LaRoza
January 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
meh, vinegar's good :p

ok, I'll have a look at those and see how it goes!

I was serious with the vinegar reference. Not white vinegar of course, but a little bit of honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of water...great filling and healthy drink.

Wybiral
January 22nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Real men just mix all three of them in a big mug and slam it!

ryanVickers
January 22nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
fascinating... I was going for white vinegar - oh and you stir in a bit of bauxite and red phosphorus; its great! :lolflag:

LaRoza
January 22nd, 2008, 06:16 AM
Real men just mix all three of them in a big mug and slam it!

I am sure that non males could do the same :)

Also, I am 19, and not legally allowed to drink some beverages. (I don't plan on it either)

I think we are OT. A psychologist should come into this forum and review what part of the human mind makes small comments become the foci of conversations. We'd be famous.

ryanVickers
January 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
and no one comments on my concoction of some dynamite ingredients... :(

Granted, my formula may be a little dated, but I'd not put it past a hundred and 20 years or so... :rolleyes:
The gluey stuff in the wick, something to go with the sulphur...

EDIT: Wait, no... that's something else... but aluminium is bad too! :p

alan tait
January 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm in the same position as Ryan, plus;
I tried out some code with "import wx" which worked great. I later imported Tkinter, which worked too. Trouble is wx now doesn't seem to work. Is is a choice of either/or or is it my own idiocy?

I tried the vinegar slammer but it came shooting out my nose,

seventhc
January 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
You can use both, but not together..so a program would either be written using wx or tkinter. At least thats what I think.

wilsonmuse
January 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I would definately reccomend Tkinter for first uses of a GUI module.

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

swj
January 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I was serious with the vinegar reference. Not white vinegar of course, but a little bit of honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of water...great filling and healthy drink.

Just read a book about this. The book suggested not to use distilled apple cider vinegar (what you find at a grocery store) because it doesn't work as well. The book suggested to get non distilled apple cider vinegar from a health store or the net. The book went on to say that the bacteria you see floating around in non distilled vinegar is what makes it so healthy--its fights bad bacteria. Honey contains some sort of enzymes or something from the bee gut that fights bad bacteria, and yes for those who do not know, honey is partially digested bee food; however, it is amazingly good for you. Honey is also good for minor wounds.

1337455 10534
February 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM
You can use both, but not together..so a program would either be written using wx or tkinter. At least thats what I think.

I get an X error (412 or something) every time I try.

I learnt from wx best. EasyGUI, although very functional, taught me nothing about GUI programming and looked a bit ugly.

LaRoza
February 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Just read a book about this. The book suggested not to use distilled apple cider vinegar (what you find at a grocery store) because it doesn't work as well. The book suggested to get non distilled apple cider vinegar from a health store or the net. The book went on to say that the bacteria you see floating around in non distilled vinegar is what makes it so healthy--its fights bad bacteria. Honey contains some sort of enzymes or something from the bee gut that fights bad bacteria, and yes for those who do not know, honey is partially digested bee food; however, it is amazingly good for you. Honey is also good for minor wounds.

Honey is better than any antibiotic, and is slowly being recognized. There is a commercial product that uses it now. (The industry doesn't like to use things they can't patent, because if they can't patent it, they can't sell it)

Major wounds too. (A bit sticky to use)

Honey doesn't go bad either, the honey buried with the mummies is still useable.

1337455 10534
February 10th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Honey is better than any antibiotic, and is slowly being recognized. There is a commercial product that uses it now. (The industry doesn't like to use things they can't patent, because if they can't patent it, they can't sell it)
Honey doesn't go bad either, the honey buried with the mummies is still useable.

ROFL.
I mean, how completely off-topic.
*Snicker*

LaRoza
February 11th, 2008, 04:37 AM
ROFL.
I mean, how completely off-topic.
*Snicker*

Not really, it was started on the second post, and the OP referenced it on the third post.

1337455 10534
February 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Vinegar and GUI programming? I love it :).
I just meant that it seems odd that topics could branch off so easily!

LaRoza
February 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Vinegar and GUI programming? I love it :).
I just meant that it seems odd that topics could branch off so easily!

Yes, I have seen worse though...