PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad 600 as a firewall with a USB speedouch 330 ADSL modem

jgrabham
January 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Ohhkaay.

Cheap little git that I am, I decided It's finally time to set up a firewall. At the moment I have my bog-standard ADSL modem router running away, as it should.

However, being a geek, paranoid, and nosy as to what others in my family are up to on the net, I want to put in a firewall. I have an old thinkpad 600 (300mhz, 230MBRAM 4GB HDD, so more than powerful enough). I want to go through a modem, into the thinkpad, then on to the wireless router via ethernet. Unfortunately, the only other modem I have by me is a USB speedtouch 330 :(. I tried smoothwall, but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't care as to what distro I should use, so long as it works.

Proprietary stuff, as always is not a problem, so long as it doesn't cost me anything...

mips
January 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Can you get the USB modem to work underer noraml circumstances with pppoe?

If you can get it to work then you should be able to use just about any firewall software.

jgrabham
January 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Can you get the USB modem to work underer noraml circumstances with pppoe?

If you can get it to work then you should be able to use just about any firewall software.

I always used to use this Python-applet, Im assuming it works as you said https://launchpad.net/usb-adsl-modem-manager.

jgrabham
January 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Oh, and I may set up web and/or email servers on it.