PDA

View Full Version : Opera is now FREE!

weeguy
September 20th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Yup.. free as in free beer.. :) no more irritating ads!

http://www.opera.com/free

kaputek
September 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM
wow! fantastic! i waiting for it :)

r0nin
September 20th, 2005, 10:26 AM
wow! fantastic! i waiting for it :)
Great, thanks for pointing it out. I got a free Key when they were celebrating their 10 anniversary and have new kicked Firefox for good! It's fast & hasn't ever crashed on me, touch wood! :)

psychicdragon
September 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM
This is such awesome news!

I used to use Opera back in WIndows days a few years back before it had the ads.

Unfortunately the link on their download page is directs to deb for sarge which doesn't work (with breezy at least). If you try to install it, it fails looking for the package libqt3c102-mt.

You can grab a package that works here:

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/850/final/en/i386/static/opera-static_8.50-20050916.1-qt_en_i386.deb

It uses staticly linked qt, which means the installed size is larger and the menu fonts look ugly though. :(

Orunitia
September 20th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I love opera, but I've been using Epiphany in Breezy lately. Much faster (well, it loads faster) and doesn't look as ugly.

r0nin
September 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM
There's a special Ubuntu *.deb. That's the one I used, also there's a "How-To" around to make QTs menus more like GTK menus. Eitherway the menus definitely aren't ugly, they just don't match!

X.Ray.Wa
September 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks

Ive been trying to install the other version for the past 3 hours : :)

Regards

psychicdragon
September 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I just tried installing this one and succeded, no more menu jaggies. \\:D/

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/850/final/en/i386/shared/opera_8.50-20050916.6-shared-qt_en_etch_i386.deb

gw90se
September 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I grabbed a reg number during their birthday party, too. I greatly prefer Opera. I used it for a while during my Window days, too. Glad to see they finally went open.

Orunitia
September 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I just tried installing this one and succeded, no more menu jaggies. \\:D/

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/850/final/en/i386/shared/opera_8.50-20050916.6-shared-qt_en_etch_i386.deb

Aha, that fixed the appearence problems I had with it. Looks like I will use Opera more often now.

kahping
September 20th, 2005, 12:24 PM
i grabbed their free keys too and tried it out. Opera's nice and fast but i don't like how it doesn't go together with the rest of the desktop.

i wonder if they'll ever release a official GTK version? :-|

kahping

Orunitia
September 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
i grabbed their free keys too and tried it out. Opera's nice and fast but i don't like how it doesn't go together with the rest of the desktop.

i wonder if they'll ever release a official GTK version? :-|

kahping

It looks better than before if you use the package a couple posts up.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/5462/opera3kb.jpg

kahping
September 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM
It looks better than before if you use the package a couple posts up.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/5462/opera3kb.jpg

holy cow! that looks nice! thanks, Orunitia. think i'll give Opera another shot :smile:

i also saw this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OperaBrowser) added to the wiki recently. it's based on the "How-to" mentioned a few posts back, i think.

kahping

Orunitia
September 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
The opera theme is Black Aqua if you liked that.

TravisNewman
September 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
now, its free, but if it were only Free, just think of the possibilities

mario8723
September 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Why can't I install this package? It's giving me libqt3 dependcy issues? I'm running Breezy....

TravisNewman
September 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM
you must install the dependencies it needs. apt-get install libqt3 or anything else it complains about.

YourSurrogateGod
September 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM
now, its free, but if it were only Free, just think of the possibilities
Wha?

YourSurrogateGod
September 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Most excellent. We are very pleased with this development...

/just installed it...

TravisNewman
September 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Wha?
Free with a capital F. Free as in free speech. Think of the leaps and bounds browsers could achieve if opera's source code were Free

YourSurrogateGod
September 20th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Free with a capital F. Free as in free speech. Think of the leaps and bounds browsers could achieve if opera's source code were Free
Why didn't you simply say open sourced?

XDevHald
September 20th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Quoted by Opera Staff
due to tremendous worldwide customer support

I find very full to agree as Premium support is great but for $29?, but they're just screwing themselves over in the long run by giving their program out for free. What benefits will they get as millions of users world wide already know how to migrate bookmarks, install fresh, upgrade, and many others, this doesn't give any open doors unless their sponsors continue to support them but in higher levels for their progress in development with their application.

If I am a little off on this, let me know so I can rephrase myself.

Thank You

ow50
September 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
The Free Software Definition (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)

weeguy
September 20th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I find very full to agree as Premium support is great but for $29?, but they're just screwing themselves over in the long run by giving their program out for free. What benefits will they get as millions of users world wide already know how to migrate bookmarks, install fresh, upgrade, and many others, this doesn't give any open doors unless their sponsors continue to support them but in higher levels for their progress in development with their application.

If I am a little off on this, let me know so I can rephrase myself.

Thank You
Well, if you're asking how Opera is going to maintain revenue earnings in the future, it's actually quite simple. They've acknowledeged that the desktop browser hasn't been reaping in as much profits as their mobile browser. Hence, this move to provide the desktop browser for free is not to increase their revenue, but rather, their market share as compared to other browsers. In doing so, they're hoping for better recognition, awareness and reputation for their mobile browser. :)

TravisNewman
September 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Why didn't you simply say open sourced?
Open source doesn't mean Free Software. Open source only means that you can get the source of it. You may not be able to use the source at all, you may not be able to distribute it, etc. Free software is software that is totally open, as long as any changes you make are also totally open.

Lord Illidan
September 20th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I used Opera on Windows, but I always turn around to Deer Park. The feeling of firefox is to good to miss.

And most users don't care about the GPL or opensource. Not everyone is a developer, so not everyone cares about the free availability of code.

az
September 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Open source doesn't mean Free Software. Open source only means that you can get the source of it. You may not be able to use the source at all, you may not be able to distribute it, etc. Free software is software that is totally open, as long as any changes you make are also totally open.

Proprietary software which is given away (free) usually has a Premium version or something like that, with all the options turned on.

Opera is not any more free than it was before, they just turned off the banner adds.

Now, if they want to talk about changing their development strategy and licencing, I would get excited.

KingBahamut
September 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Why does this scare me.

moreso, why does it make me think that it wont do anything to help their cause any?

jyank
September 20th, 2005, 04:50 PM
trying it out right now, on windows PC though, I'm in class at the moment. I do notice the speed increase, but it's ugly as hell, plus im so used to ctrl t for a tab, here i'm having to go ctrl n hmm

blueturtl
September 20th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Opera totally blazes on my desktop compared to Firefox. The speed is astounding! And no more ads. I think looks are secondary to functionality and Opera has plenty of functionality. I'm seriously considering dumping Mozilla over this, but alas does anyone know how to get mplayerplug-in to work in Opera? It does appear in the installed plugins but trying to view a trailer at Apple.com results in.. just a black box with no image.

Perfect Storm
September 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Perhaps I should give it a go....Though it will never replace my Epiphany browser :cool:

.:=The AI Dude=:.

cowlip
September 20th, 2005, 10:58 PM
trying it out right now, on windows PC though, I'm in class at the moment. I do notice the speed increase, but it's ugly as hell, plus im so used to ctrl t for a tab, here i'm having to go ctrl n hmm

posted this before http://people.opera.com/rijk/opera/huginmunin.html

opera is customizable, people! ;)

jdodson
September 20th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah I agree with the fellow freedom lovers on this thread too.

Its fine they released it for $0. Thats great. Can you run in on your PPC Ubuntu machine? No.

Well if we had the code you could. I guess they could release a PPC port, but it would only matter as long as they kept it up, etc.

Free Software does root much in pragmatism. Its the most compelling reason I use it.

xequence
September 21st, 2005, 01:03 AM
This is GREAT news. Opera is a very very good browser, definitally my browser of choice on linux. It is small and fast, and has all the features of firefox (except adblock, though I dont know if it works on linux. Havnt tried it as I dont use firefox.) I just got a serial off a crack site for it before, but now I dont have to do that =D

Anyway, GREAT move on their part =D

Yeah I agree with the fellow freedom lovers on this thread too.

Its fine they released it for $0. Thats great. Can you run in on your PPC Ubuntu machine? No.

Well if we had the code you could. I guess they could release a PPC port, but it would only matter as long as they kept it up, etc.

Free Software does root much in pragmatism. Its the most compelling reason I use it.

Cant say much about that, I have a normal run of the mill x86.