PDA

View Full Version : to DWM/WMii/awesomeWM users - a guide?

shearn89
January 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM
I had a pm from Fedex1993, asking for me to write a guide to awesomewm. I think this is a good idea, although i haven't done loads of searching on the forums already. I just wanted to throw out the question to anyone who uses it (or any of its parent WMs) - what do you think i should include?
I figured:

basic installation
customisation
the .awesomerc file
tags
some useful keybindings i use

not sure how to integrate it with gdm, as i don't use it, but someone who's installing a tiling wm is probably a light-n-fast type person and has already ditched gdm/kdm right? If not, someone else may have to write that section...

Any ideas/feedback/ridicule appreciated!

Tenken
January 21st, 2008, 03:37 AM
This is a great idea, I just started messing around with awesome today and the learning curve it pretty high.

As for a login manager I used SLiM (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/x11/slim), it works by reading your ~/.xinitrc file. so just add

exec awesome

shearn89
January 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
yeah - slim is good, and (with splashy) provides quite a nice light graphical start to things.

I'll write up what i know either this afternoon or sometime tomorrow, and then post it here as a first draft before submitting it to the Tutorials forum.

fuscia
January 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
it might be good to include some introduction to the concept of tiling wm's, as most people are probably coming from the usual float style wm/DE's.

mali2297
January 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Good idea, the awesome window manager needs better documentation.

Don't forget to tell which version (2.0?) that the guide covers. The configuration file format seems to change with each version.

fuscia
January 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
there is already a pretty good guide available for wmii - http://www.suckless.org/wiki/wmii/docs/guide

Gigamo
January 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM
I find this a very good idea. It will sure help more people get it up and running as I myself wouldn't have been able to learn it on myself.

corney91
January 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Brilliant idea - I look forward to it. I've had Awesome installed for ages but haven't had time to sort customizing out.

herbster
January 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
I could really use this. I love flux and open so much but always want to give other options a fair shot as I never know what I'll end up liking maybe even more. However, awesome is a bit mysterious. Perhaps you could include dzen2 setup/config in the guide as well, if you are a user/versed with it.

shearn89
January 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Cool. Thanks for all the feedback so far - expect a first draft in the next few days (possibly tomorrow)!

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
once you get it up I will follow it through to see if it works correctly and then try to make as many mistakes because of being vague as possible.

shearn89
January 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
UPDATE: I've submitted it to the Tutorials section of the forum. Hopefully it will be okay'd, and I can get you guys to do a quick check over for me... I can post a copy as a text file here if you want a sneaky preview...

shearn89
January 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
UPDATE 2: Approved! Link here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=675292

Onyros
January 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Count me in, I'm getting my hands dirty on v2.1 right now, configuring it to my liking and drooling at the Fibonacci spiral. Now I can get perfection on my desktop as well. :P

shearn89
January 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I just tried to compile 2.1 and keep getting an error. Something about "no rule to make target awesome.1"

apart from that, i think its all good.

rjmdomingo2003
January 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
I've tried wmii but have kept coming back to flux. I am eager to dive into awesome.

I saw your guide and would try awesomeWM ASAP!

You could include a Troubleshooting section for when Mr. Murphy comes up.:)

shearn89
January 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
yeah - i might do. I'm going to go build a VM and try it out myself this afternoon, until then, post any problems here, and i'll try and help work through them.

Gigamo
January 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
I just posted an addition to your guide for the GDM bit.

rjmdomingo2003
January 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I just tried to compile 2.1 and keep getting an error. Something about "no rule to make target awesome.1"

apart from that, i think its all good.
I'm getting the same error.. What should be done next?

Thanks in advance.

Gigamo
January 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm getting the same error.. What should be done next?

Thanks in advance.

Try reading the README and see which dependencies are needed.

libcairo2-dev is one of them.

rjmdomingo2003
January 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Try reading the README and see which dependencies are needed.

libcairo2-dev is one of them.
Tried apt-get installing however it says that it's already the latest version.

Gigamo
January 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Tried apt-get installing however it says that it's already the latest version.

I would suggest taking a look at the README in awesome-2.1 folder. It says in there which dependencies you need.