PDA

View Full Version : Accessibility Issues Text Reader

durdensbuddy
January 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I am looking for a program that will convert text onscreen into audio. What would you guys recommend? I say an earlier post for SpeakUp, not sure how to configure it and unsure of whether you can turn it off.

I am running gutsy (64) here, but ultimately I will need something that will work in a 32 bit environment.

I am trying to convince my employer that our clients would benefit from one of hte new UMPCs that are coming bundled with ubuntu and one of the sales points I want to stress is accessibility. I should add that since the computers will be shared between clients it would be best to have a program that can easily be turned off and on. i.e Perfect scenario for us, desktop launcher for speech program, reads names of icons the mouse scrolls over, and then reads highlighted text and then is as easily shut down for the next user. Is there anything out there like that? I do need to tell you, complete noob as well so i'll need very basic instructions.

Thanks in advance

americux
January 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Use Orca my friend, use orca. This is your text-to-speech program.
Regards, A.

durdensbuddy
January 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Orca, thanks. i've got it up and running now! Great little program. Two more questions: 1. in multi-user systems is it possible to have Orca start at start-up for only ONE user or for specific users? 2. If not, is it possible to create a desktop launcher to easily start orca?

Thanks