View Full Version : How did you find out about Ubuntu?

January 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I did a Google for free software looking for some free MS apps, and Unbuntu was at the top of the list I had never heard about GNU or open source or Linux or any of it. So I read about a little, said what the hell? you only live once you know? I liked Ubuntu from the start and, within a week I had it installed on both my computers. That was almost a year ago. How did ou find Ubuntu?

January 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
My father-in-law has been using GNU/Linux for years now and last year when my laptop was broken he lent me a desktop with Suse on it and from there I tried a few other distros and ended up here.

January 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
My younger brother didn't like the distribution we were using at the time and saw ship-it and ordered some breezy Cd's. I have him to thank :)

January 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
How did ou find Ubuntu?

I was sick and tired of all the problems that I had with Windows.

I had been using Debian for a while, before that I had used other distributions of Linux as well.

I tried Ubuntu and never looked back! It's the best for ease of use and the community support is AMAZING.

January 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
A student at our Institute shared his Dapper CD with me. I liked what I saw, but it took me until Fiesty Fawn to install it on my laptop. Dapper and my laptop didn't get along with dual-booting. Since Fiesty I've had no problems (after I learned how to use Forums to solve WiFi and other "restricted" problems).

I've put Ubuntu on all of our older and slower computers that originally had Win98 and then Millenium. After our University network Admins did something, these older computers had no more contact with our internal (Mac OS) server, once I got Ubuntu loaded on, they are better than new.

January 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
mainly through Digg in late 2005. I think my first distro was 5.10.

January 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I had been using linux in the past (between red hat 6.4 and mandrake 8 ) but then my new pc wouldn't work with absolutely any distro of linux, and I quit. So as soon as I got my hands on this laptop I downloaded opensuse 10.2 and then ubuntu, and I'm stuck with ubuntu.

Can't remember how I found out about ubuntu though. I think it was from a guide to make my modem work. It only works in ubuntu, :)

January 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM
my windows broke and i couldn't find the installation disk, searched around for a live cd (slax) and ended up just using that in the absence of windows, then realised i should probably just install something, then i discovered ubuntu from a simple "good linux distro" google search lol

January 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM
My Windows Hard Drive started misbehaving. I thought it was Windows itself malfunctioning (unfair, but seemed a logical conclusion at the time), and it still had the problem after reinstalling.

My brother had been experimenting with Linux (Gentoo) as a hobby for a while, so I decided to take the plunge with Puppy Linux (on my previous laptop) out of curiosit. This was particularly important when the HD wouldn't even boot (LiveCD was my saviour).

When I upgraded, I went to Xubuntu after my new laptop came with Vista, but couldn't run it (512MB RAM!). Stuck with it after a 1GB upgrade, cos I liked it so much.

That was almost about 8 months ago.

Now I'm on Gutsy Ubuntu, as is my old laptop (now upgraded to 756MB RAM with new HD) in my mum's hands.

January 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
My roommate needed to have linux in our home network for his graduate thesis. He happened to have an original Edgy CD (don't know where it came from), and we installed Ubuntu on both our computers. He ended up going back to Windows (he's the gamer type). I got totally converted.

January 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I´ve been using ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10). Before that I´ve been using Gentoo for a long while, and before that I tried out a copy of Mandrake I got with a Linux magazine. The first distro I used was Corel Linux, I just found out that must have been in ´99. That means I was 11 years old. After I installed Ubuntu, I never wanted to install windows again. Power to Ubuntu!

January 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I've been using Ubuntu exclusively since Warty (after trying out different distros, I went from Fedora to Ubuntu I believe). I learned about it from a Swedish computer magazine. Ubuntu was quite big news and the logo appeared all over.

Zero Prime
January 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
MaximumPC had an ad about the easy way to switch to Linux.

January 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
How did I find out about Ubuntu? Its really funny. One day I decided to try Vista and see how nice it is (if it really is like advertise). And when I looked for a download of Vista, I read a comment said that:"Vista cannot compare with Ubuntu". I wondered what Ubuntu is, so, after I found out Vista is not really what I like, I try Ubuntu. And ... now I still learn how to use Ubuntu, love to discover :)

January 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I googled linux and spent a long time reading the linux.org homeage. There was an article listing all the different distributions. Ubuntu seemed to be the most popular so I went ahead and downloaded it.

January 20th, 2008, 05:42 PM
My cousin showed me his laptop with Ubuntu on it, I did some research, and when I built my current computer I put it on.

January 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I picked up a copy of MicroMart (http://www.micromart.co.uk/) to read on a train journey because the newsagent didn't have my normal PC magazine.
MicroMart has regular Linux features and I was intrigued by it.
Downloaded PCLinuxOS 0.92 and was hooked instantly.

January 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I was actually searching for a free alternative from windows. Tried Mandrake8.1, then Opensuse 10.1, now Ubuntu.

January 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM
It is actually quite ironic how I switched to Linux. I used to watch a site called Windows X Shrine, and used their not-so-stable at the time Vista Transformation Pack on my laptop (which, lets just say, wasn't a good idea ;)). There was an article soon after the transformation pack was released which said something like "Want the Vista look? Try Kubuntu Linux!" I researched linux, and found out about OpenSUSE, and eventually found out about Ubuntu Dapper Drake. I downloaded the ISO (read posts on the forum which signaled to me not to download Edgy), burnt it to a CD, and booted up to it on my laptop. I was hooked from that moment on.

January 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM
I had already been looking at Linux as a change from windows when someone gave me an Ubuntu disc one day.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Three years on Linux and two with Ubuntu.

January 21st, 2008, 01:15 AM
Haha, Cnet video!

January 21st, 2008, 01:33 AM
I was working at dell when they announced they were shipping systems preinstalled with linux. I got curious and decided to try it out. That was 9 months ago. I'm not completely converted. I use vista otherwise.

I normally run ubuntu on my laptop, but I had to boot over to vista this morning because of the scanner I just bought. It wouldn't work in ubuntu.

January 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
I was at camp, and this one kid started talking about it extensively, and I was quite interested. (3D desktop? Synaptic?)
I got home, and a month later a friend of mine on a non-linux forum started talking about it. I was reminded of it and got a 30-Day free trial of VMWare fusion to try it on.
I liked it quite a bit, and there was some awesome software I found in synaptic that i always used (Freebirth, Airstrike, Hydrogen, to name a few).
So after about a week of getting rid of the VM, I downloaded and burned a CD and installed.

January 21st, 2008, 01:47 AM
I began the move to Linux when I started at the job I'm at now. Our environment is almost strictly linux based and a friend here recommended Ubuntu as a nice distro. After a while I moved from WIndows over to Suse and then from Suse over to Ubuntu almost completely. Two years solidly on Linux and most of that on Ubuntu.

Elvish Legion
January 21st, 2008, 02:12 AM
Recommended to me on a suse forum....way back in the 9.3 days

January 21st, 2008, 02:47 AM
I learned about it through Digg.com because i was looking for a windows alternative to put on a salvaged computer i got. was the best thing i've ever stumbled upon.

January 22nd, 2008, 12:57 AM
I knew about Linux from my nephew (Mandrake) and a guy from my university (Debian). Never was a MS fanboy so I was happy to switch when I was putting together my new computer.
But the main factor was probably that I was reminded of Linux when watching some Beryl videos on Youtube.
Today I do not use XP at all.

January 22nd, 2008, 02:39 AM
One of my friends suggested that I try it out. I decided on a whim to try it out, and set up my Dell to dual boot.

Now I haven't booted into Xp for months and also installed it on my laptop.

January 22nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
From my Cisco teacher in September 2007.

January 22nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
I first heard about Ubuntu on Lifehacker. I didn't want to pay for an upgrade to an OS I didn't want (i.e. Vista) so I was open to other options. Lifehacker made Ubuntu sound pretty cool, so I first tried it with 6.10, but wireless didn't work. I gave up for a while. Then when I heard 7.04 came out and was better, I downloaded it the first day. I didn't actually install Ubuntu until a week later when I got ndiswrapper figured out.

That was my introduction to linux. I can't believe I had the patience for it. Now I wouldn't go back to Windows, though I dual boot for a couple rare things.

January 22nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
In the summer of 2005 I asked a Gentoo-running friend for a good Linux starting point, and he suggested Ubuntu 5.04.

- Phi