PDA

View Full Version : amaroK "MP3" Player

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I wish the amaroK ppl would come out with an "MP3" Player that was fully compatible with their program. I'd buy it and then the money made would go back to their cause and the program would get better and better

SunnyRabbiera
January 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM
huh?

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM
huh?
how do you not get it? here an example Mirosoft came out with the Zune. Apple came out with the iPod. get it?

Nano Geek
January 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I think he means a portable MP3 player.

I would be nice, but there are many that already work with Linux and Amarok.

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I think he means a portable MP3 player.

I would be nice, but there are many that already work with Linux and Amarok.
yes exactly but i can't use mood bar on an iPod or my rating system or ogg, flac,ect

SunnyRabbiera
January 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM
how do you not get it? here an example Mirosoft came out with the Zune. Apple came out with the iPod. get it?

I see, his wording was odd

smartboyathome
January 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM
yes exactly but i can't use mood bar on an iPod or my rating system or ogg, flac,ect

I think what you are looking for already exists in the form of Cowon's iAudio7.

p_quarles
January 20th, 2008, 06:17 AM
The media players that tie in with popular software (i.e., Zune, iPod) are manufactured by companies with large hardware divisions. KDE isn't like that at all, so I don't think they would have either the resources or the know-how to design a digital media player.

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 06:19 AM
i honestly want a amarok "MP3" Player for the ablity to show others that Open source can bring what big cooperations can bring but with a more friendly approach

PilotJLR
January 20th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Designing and producing and marketing a hardware device like the iPod is an entirely different skillset than that used in an open source app.
It would be a waste of money and resources... there are many good choices on the market now!

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Designing and producing and marketing a hardware device like the iPod is an entirely different skillset than that used in an open source app.
It would be a waste of money and resources... there are many good choices on the market now!
I know that but I can dream can't I?

PilotJLR
January 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah, nothing wrong with that! :-)

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I'm gonna get an Arcos 605 WiFi for my next Mp3 player I've used them before and i can get one for $300 at Circuit City

SZF2001
January 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Have you considered an Sansa e200 series player? Goes quiet nicely for me with both Windows and Linux...

money2themax
January 21st, 2008, 12:37 AM
nope i'm all for the Arcos

sajro
January 21st, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have also been thinking about the possibility of an open-source music player. Not replacement firmware like Rockbox, but its own thing.

Actually I was thinking about an OSS media player, not just music. Some features:

Stripped-down (but replaceable) Linux kernel and GUI made specifically so the device is usable in <5 seconds
Embedded apps like amaroK, Kaffeine (or mplayer)
Not just a media player...embedded Firefox and torrent (since using KDE for amaroK and Kaffeine anyway, might aswell be KTorrent)
spacious screen like the Archos 404
Wi-Fi and ethernet
USB ports for (a) connecting/syncing (b) adding media from a thumb drive (c) plugging in a USB kb/mouse (to make the browsing and torrenting easier, plus iusing custom apps you added)
A nice amount of space
And, of course, fully hackable (in the good sense)

So, it's basically to the iPod Touch as OpenMoko is to the iPhone.

Just a few ideas. Maybe someday I'll be able to start the project!

money2themax
January 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM
I have also been thinking about the possibility of an open-source music player. Not replacement firmware like Rockbox, but its own thing.

Actually I was thinking about an OSS media player, not just music. Some features:
Stripped-down (but replaceable) Linux kernel and GUI made specifically so the device is usable in <5 seconds
Embedded apps like amaroK, Kaffeine (or mplayer)
Not just a media player...embedded Firefox and torrent (since using KDE for amaroK and Kaffeine anyway, might aswell be KTorrent)
spacious screen like the Archos 404
Wi-Fi and ethernet
USB ports for (a) connecting/syncing (b) adding media from a thumb drive (c) plugging in a USB kb/mouse (to make the browsing and torrenting easier, plus iusing custom apps you added)
A nice amount of space
And, of course, fully hackable (in the good sense)So, it's basically to the iPod Touch as OpenMoko is to the iPhone.

Just a few ideas. Maybe someday I'll be able to start the project!
i'm down to help i'm gonna get my cert in hardware and A+ repair you need a hardware man you know who to call
but give it a removable HDD as they are getting smaller

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 03:13 AM
actually i have a better idea some how get a player that already exists and try to load the info to the flash and talk to the ppl who work on amarok and we could get something done

Madman6510
May 13th, 2008, 03:59 AM
A portable media player with Wi-fi and Bittorrent... oh the possibilities... :cool:

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 04:03 AM
A portable media player with Wi-fi and Bittorrent... oh the possibilities... :cool:
space would be an issue bitorrents can get quite big i'd say i shrunk down ver of limewire that only did music, movies, and images

zmjjmz
May 13th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Red Hat could do something like this. They have the money.

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Red Hat could do something like this. They have the money.
yeah but will they?

zmjjmz
May 13th, 2008, 05:27 AM
If you can convince them ;)
(with better English, no offense)

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 05:29 AM
If you can convince them ;)
(with better English, no offense)
meh i'm not gonna ask you can

amar
May 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Have a look at RockBox (http://www.rockbox.org)

it does ogg/flac etc, not sure about mood bar, but you can add it yourself if you want

You can even add a theme that makes it look like amarok (or an ipod or winamp or windows media player or ...)

bigbrovar
May 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
This can only happen if a hardware company with the intention of making an mp3 player decide to use amarok tech in the device .. just like the asus just Xandros tech for the eee pc

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
This can only happen if a hardware company with the intention of making an mp3 player decide to use amarok tech in the device .. just like the asus just Xandros tech for the eee pc
yeah well redhat, novell, or Sun Microsystems could do it

SomeGuyDude
May 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'd be tempted to buy it. I don't even like amaroK but I'd make an exception.

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'd be tempted to buy it. I don't even like amaroK but I'd make an exception.all proceeds go toward Linux research and development

drascus
May 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
is there a place to find a good list of MP3 players that work with linux???

SomeGuyDude
May 13th, 2008, 11:58 PM
is there a place to find a good list of MP3 players that work with linux???

Any that functions as a storage device works fine. Sandisk's Sansa line seems particularly well-supported.

DeadSuperHero
May 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I actually looked into getting a Sansa Fuze, but they don't support Ogg Vorbis...perhaps a petition is in order for that?

money2themax
May 14th, 2008, 04:41 AM
i'm still for the idea of asking one of the big 3 companies to put out their own linux type "MP3 player" [with FLAC, OGG, ect support]

money2themax
July 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
i just had an idea the company that makes Archos give ppl the rights to access the source code maybe we can make this run amarok

barbedsaber
July 9th, 2008, 06:09 AM
space would be an issue bitorrents can get quite big i'd say i shrunk down ver of limewire that only did music, movies, and images

cough frostwire is better, seven thousand fold cough. :-\"

money2themax
July 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
what do you guys think should we make a project outta this?