PDA

View Full Version : Amazon users make me mad with their stupidity

Arenlor
January 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
When I go to order an item I always read the feedback and I only pay attention to the lower (1-3/5) groups, to see what is said negatively. Most of the negative comments are something along the line of "Arrived in two weeks, way too slow", while the amazon site says that normal items will take up to 21 business days to arrive, and up to 28 for books and other media. I only buy books. So I expect it in the normal 4-6 weeks which we all have memorized. I think it's so annoying that these illiterate people are allowed to leave comments. Another issue which pops up is that they state about how it arrived slower than other items they ordered. Well if I order from across the country I know that it takes 2 weeks. If I order from the center of my state I know it takes one week. I also know that if I order from Texas meanwhile that it'll be here in three days. I do not know why they have these massive discrepancies, but I have learned to not expect any given time, as geography plays nothing in it. (I also learned that if you order from Texas that you get things fast, so good job Texans.) The last thing that annoys me in the comments are when a company which has a store front has sold their last copy in that store front and hasn't been able to update the amazon listing yet, the person is upset that they would list an item they don't have. I'm sure those are the same people that you get stuck behind in line as they argue with the cashier that the coupons that expired last month should still work, why would they make a coupon otherwise? Anyone else have any complaints about the idiots that use Amazon (or eBay)?

billgoldberg
January 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I don't use websites for those things.

If I need a book I go to the shop (call to see if they have the book first). If they don't have it, I let them order it, it's faster.

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Well, if that annoys you, then trust me: NEVER read the comments at YouTube.

Mike'sHardLinux
January 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
billgoldberg:
Amazon is a whole lot cheaper than the local bookstores here, even if you have one of those book club member discount cards.

Arenlore:
Funny, I don't think I've ever had any books take so long to get here. The norm seems to be more like a week or so. Are you talking about the used books that come from individuals?

sloggerkhan
January 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
For me, it depends. Used bookstore, then, depending, amazon/regular bookstore.

Mazza558
January 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM

You mean like this?:

DONT READ THIS!!!!!!!

On the 31st of February(!!) 1920, a girl was slapped in the face. She haunts the earth, whispering in your ear insults like "UBUNTU IZ RUBBISH!". Send this to 11 people within 24 hours or she will come round to your house and try and install Vista on your PC!

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
You mean like this?:
Unfortunately, no. The chain letters and "Ring" ripoffs are actually among the more intelligent comments at YouTube. :)

ticopelp
January 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Like almost everything on the internet that has a "comments" section, it's a cesspool of imbeciles. I agree, same with YouTube and IMDB. I don't even bother reading the comments -- no one has anything worthwhile or interesting to say, and reading the comments usually just leaves me depressed at how incredibly stupid people apparently are.

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Like almost everything on the internet that has a "comments" section, it's a cesspool of imbeciles. I agree, same with YouTube and IMDB. I don't even bother reading the comments -- no one has anything worthwhile or interesting to say, and reading the comments usually just leaves me depressed at how incredibly stupid people apparently are.
Especially true of anything that is either unmoderated or user-moderated. The only major exception to this rule is Slashdot. The user-moderation system there works well enough that you do tend to find a number of really good comments. Of course, the occasional stupid gets through as well.

eljoeb
January 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM

You forgot digg and slashdot.

tuebinger
January 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
My one low rating as a seller on Amazon comes from someone in New Jersey who ordered media mail. He complained I was slow!!! I'm from California. Yeah, of course it was slow--you ordered media mail, you cheapskate!

Praadur
January 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM
If you think that's bad, try supporting any belief system that's outside of the perspicacity of the average schmoe. I could tell tales of some of the pure mooncalf-borne dysfunctional idiocy I've encountered when even bringing up the topic of furries, therians, or otherkin. Just try it and see for yourself, 'lolwut' is the best one could sincerely hope for.

By always supporting the underdog in this way, I've learned two things from life:

1. It's better to be uninformed than misinformed.
2. As bad as some people can be, they'll never be as addle-brained as those guys.

In fact, having to deal with people like that can teach one a grand deal of tolerance, because then one learns that there aren't simply people who aren't very bright, there are entire echelons ranging from the merely uninformed to those who are misinformed and couldn't care less about factual information regardless of the real-World evidence presented to them, as it's impossible to penetrate their fantasy.

By comparison to folks like that... Amazon reviewers look like veritable PhD candidates.

Everything is subjective and relative. Dip your feet into the pool of true mendicantry and you'll never feel bothered by these people again.

Sorry about that, anyway. I just had to explain that to denote why I don't think those folks at Amazon are really all that bad at all. They're probably pretty smart on the whole, just impatient.

-grubby
January 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM

YouTube comments! (/me shudders)

sloggerkhan
January 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM
some of amazon's 'reviewers' are quite good, they just tend not to buy stuff that they're going to rate as crap is my guess.