PDA

View Full Version : help!! I messed up my lappy......physically

Lord DarkPat
January 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sorry if it is in the wrong forum, th cafe is the most visited one.
I was doing my work, and drinking coffee while browsing this forum, then came a call for me. Me being hyperactive as ever, jumped up and ran. I this process, i spilled the coffee over my lappy's keyboard and it shut off by it self, I took a soaked tissue and cleaned it. It wasn't booting so I left it to dry. I even blow-dried it.
Any help?? My parents are so not gonna get me a new laptop, and I need one bad@@ Even the warranty won't cover coffe being spilled!!

el_ricardo
January 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
the best strategy whenever fluid of some sort comes in contact with your computer is to turn it off straight away and leave it to dry over night or something, and DON'T turn it on in the mean time! other than that theres not much you can do, if its shorted something out on the motherboard (most likely scenario) then your basically screwed!

lettas
January 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Some have succeed with taking all the parts apart and washing them with distillation water. That will dissolve most of the coffee spots without breaking the parts. Hopefully all the spots and smell are gone and if it still wont work, you may try that guarantee. I guess they can't do more than give you another laptop.

I myself threw a mug of tea over my laptop few months back. I shut off the comp straight after that, but stupid as I am, hit the start button. Nothing happened. I removed the battery, disassembled the laptop, left it to dry on the floor on it's side and placed a heavy fan right next to it. After two days of fanning I left it alone for few days. Been working nicely till this day.

mips
January 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Best thing to do is strip it completely apart and try and clean it.

I really don't know why people drink from open containers at their computers, I suppose this will be a lesson learnt, unfortunately the hard way.

gletob
January 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I fixed mine by pouring distilled water where I spilt my coffe and letting it drain out and dry really good

Lord DarkPat
January 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
my dad isn't allowqing me to ope3n it

Lord DarkPat
January 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm taking it to the acer vendor here(my dad, actually) and the manager is a friend of his. He says he will do something.
PHEWWWW!!

Flying caveman
January 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Ever think about getting a Panasonic Toughbook?
I wish I could afford one, but I'm not sure I spill my coffee often enough to justify the premium.

popch
January 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Ever think about getting a Panasonic Toughbook?
I wish I could afford one, but I'm not sure I spill my coffee often enough to justify the premium.

Had you bought one, you couldn't afford to buy any coffee, anyway.

Praadur
January 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
It is a shame this happened to you, because whenever someone gives a damn about their computer and all the effort they put into it, something like this can be genuinely stressful.

I second not drinking open-container drinks, though. There's a reason I tend to drink bottled water. Not branded water though, that'd prove more expensive here in the UK, but I've a bunch of old rescued glass lucozade bottles and I tend to fill those up and stick them in the fridge. They can't be beat on a hot day.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend to a person who drinks hot drinks, though. I'd suggest possibly one of those closed-top styrofoam/plastic cups, but I can't honestly imagine drinking coffee through a straw.

mridkash
January 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Can there be a laptop hack or something to make the keyboard spill proof, like putting a polythene sheet under it ??

popch
January 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Can there be a laptop hack or something to make the keyboard spill proof, like putting a polythene sheet under it ??

Such keyboards already exist. I have no idea if they are also available for laptops. The problem in this case appears to be that the coffee went into the laptop itself. You'd need a ruggedized laptop.

intense.ego
January 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I saw an ad once that said that Thinkpads had a spill guard and that anything that was spilt on the keyboard would be drained automatically. I'm not sure whether that would have been any use in your situation though.

gn2
January 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Was there milk and sugar in the coffee?