PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Firefox 3

SZF2001
January 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
So, anyone try the latest build of Firefox 3? Me, I used the Ubuntu repositories to grab it. I think it's Gran Paradiso...

Anyway, I've had quiet the experience with this version. I've read that there should be a plethora of bugs but I haven't seen any, all my plugins work just fantastic, but Add On support is low (all I really use is NoScript and the GMail notifier though), but that is understandable.

I've noticed a BIG boost in speed. And less crashes (THANK GOD).

How about you, Community Cafe? Your opinions? Maybe some people at the Firefox team will read through this...

zipperback
January 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I am currently still running FF2, however has anyone determined if the Flash9 bug that causes browser locks ups is present in FF3 like it was in FF2 for some users?

- zipperback
:popcorn:

Sukarn
January 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The version of FF3 in the ubuntu repositories is alpha 8.
Beta 2 is already out, so that is kind of an old version.
In my opinion, beta 2 seems to have a lot more bugs than alpha 8.

Praadur
January 19th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm using Swiftweaswel (Google it up'n see!).

Basically, it's a custom Firefox build with GPL'd media, making it more of a Free application than Firefox is by default.

I'm also running 3.0b2, as that's the latest version that the Swiftweasel guys have built (they have debs, so installation is easy), and I have to say that it's stable and running incredibly well.

It hwas some really nice features too! My favourite though has to be full-page zoom. If one holds Control and then presses the Plus key, the entire page zooms in a little, and the reverse can be achieved with Control and Minus. Handy for webcomics and flash which is just too small

I'm also using a lot of extensions, some that list 2.0.0 as their highest compatability point, and some that list as high as 3.0b1. They're all running perfectly, too! So Firefox 3.0 apparently doesn't break a whole lot of FF2's extensions. In fact, the only one I had to open up and change a few lines of code with was keyconfig.

The only problem I've really seen is that on rare occasions flash will crash and I'll have to do a 'sudo killall npviewer.bin' to get it to respond again, but that seems to be a problem more with the plugin itself rather than the browser, or something to do with the compatability between the two.

Either way, my experiences have been really good and I'd thouroughly recommend it.

rax_m
January 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm using swiftfox 3.0b3 .. and I can say it's great. Browsing is faster and just feels like a much better experience.

My only gripes are :
- Yahoo mail doesn't work with it
- Hit-a-hint addon is not yet supported
- One of my banking sites doesn't yet work with it

Otherwise I use it daily for everything including youtube and flash sites. I haven't had any problems. It might have crashed once or twice.. but less than FF2 that comes with Ubuntu.

Espreon
January 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I use it for all my browsing.

apoth
January 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
The dpi on the build was way out for me.

There are quite a few plugins that don't work - only because of the plugin configuration so you _can_ edit them to install but that's a pain.

Most importantly for me though, the lack of support for the SVG SMIL animations means that SVG support still doesn't even reach the Tiny spec.

dustman
January 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
tried a while ago FF3, and didn't like it at all...a lot of bugs and most of the plugins were not compatible with FF3. Now i'm using Swiftweasel 2.0.0.8, works like a dream. It's faster then FF2. Waiting to try FF3 stable though :D

steeleyuk
January 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I've been happy on the whole with Firefox 3, using it all the time now and its definitely faster than Firefox 2. A couple of extensions don't work but apart from Adblock Plus, I don't really need them for the time being.

That being said, I'm not too keen on the bookmarks system, seems very incomplete. Hopefully, it gets fixed for the final.

corney91
January 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm using 3.0b3pre and it may just convert me from opera...
Flash is working perfectly and the main problem is trying to get most of the extensions/themes to work with the new version.

OffHand
January 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I am using Firefox 3 nightly builds and it keeps getting better and better. Very little issues and it's superfast.

For those that have problems with extensions you might want to disable version checking (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility).

SupaSonic
January 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Firefox 3 Beta crashed my xserver randomly, so I reverted back to 2 for the time.
Thought at least I'll use it at work on XP - but a different bug came up - namely remembered passwords were appearing in some random input fields on the site.

I really love the new location bar though.