PDA

View Full Version : Do You Love Your Work/Hobbie?

money2themax
January 19th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I got the idea for this thread form this thread "Linux users are poor ?" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=670810) And this is directed at everyone from Computer Engineers to the Computer Repair Hobbyist and that question is..."Do You Love Working On/With Computers [This Is A Full Sweep Meaning All Computer Types And OSes]?" I mean every time i get near a computer [printer, scanner, projector, ect] i want to fix it if it's broken or tinker with them [sometimes this is my greatest downfall] I'm very happy when I'm working on a computer and i tend to do it for the sheer pleasure of working on them and sometimes don't ask for payment for work that normally would earn me $200+ in a normal job but as I said I love to work on them. If it's got an electric heart beat I'll try to fix/tinker with it.
:lolflag:

bufsabre666
January 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
i agree i love to work on computers, thats why i put myself through unnecessary trouble like restoring computers that shouldnt be, its just a hobby

i fix computers for friends and family and when im just borked i fix my own, if it aint broken, fix it till it is

elainevdw
January 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Wellll my coworker came into my office today and offered me first-choice on an old busted Dell that's sitting at our local tech shop with a bum motherboard. :) So I suppose I do enjoy tinkering with computers, and I suppose it's obvious enough that I'm the go-to girl for that sort of thing in my social circle.

DUDE_2000
January 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yes!!!! in all the spare time I have, (middle school) I love to use/fix/tinker/nearly break my computer!

money2themax
January 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM
if it aint broken, fix it till it is
ain't that the truth, I've done that more times that i can count but as i always say life is a learning experience how do you think they learned to fix it the first time they broke it thats how

bufsabre666
January 19th, 2008, 07:51 AM
i know what you mean, ive screwed it up so many times

ive installed linux on computers more times then dell this way but it was fun everytime

money2themax
January 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM
yup i'm one of those ppl who bring complex computer books to school as "light reading books" but then again i read above collage level so i have no problems reading...writing however I'm like 3rd grade

NOTE:i'm currently reading like 10 books at a time no joke and at least 3 are tech related and at least 2 are more than 400~500 pages in length

Dark Hornet
January 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I find that I am in a very blessed place...I LOVE what I do for a living--Network Engineer (WAN side of things--network design, engineering, etc on an ISP level)--but when I get home, I also love to tinker and play around with anything computer--except for Microsoft--the past year..any time I get on/have to work on a MS computer, I find that I want to throw things...anyway, just my two cents....

SZF2001
January 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I really like my job - stand around, rent out movies, organize stuff, put movies away... You can probably guess what I work with. It's a very chill job.

And my hobby, S/NES games and Linux, yea I like that too. That's about it.

geekygirl
January 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
hmm like my job? well I work with a large international company and we build helicopters...and I get to play with them...yes I LOVE my job...lol

Hobbies: jumping out of flying vehicles from a great height..LOVE it, and tinkering with PC's, running a small PC business, and fixing PC's as well as being the person (read the pseudo IT person at work amongst other things...lol) everyone comes to with the computer woes...so yeah I have an very involved love affair with all things computers/tech as a hobby :D

money2themax
January 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
nice nice i'm planing on getting into repair because I'm considered a natural at repairing anything electric but i wish to start my own business [I live in a small town and there are not computer repair shops for miles]

gn2
January 20th, 2008, 01:40 AM
As a PC hobbyist I really enjoy the hardware side of things. I've built a few PC's, the one I'm most proud of is the one with the lowest spec funnily enough.
I got an old Pentium 3 Dell Optiplex SFF with no hard drive and customised it to run very quiet indeed by fitting a 2.5" hard drive, changing the CPU cooler and doing things to the PSU that I won't go into here......
Total cost including a 10" TFT was £120, all parts sourced from Ebay.
It gets used exclusively as a music jukebox with an Audiotrak Optoplay USB sound card connected to a HiFi amplifier and speakers.

I'm less keen on tinkering with software, I just like getting things to work, then leave well alone!

Since I started using Linux I've used Windows less and less, I have now switched my own PC's and laptop over to Linux and deleted all my NTFS partitions.

I still have to maintain the wife's Xp Home PC and I hate it, just looking at Xp irritates me and I really can't understand why.

I need another project, I was going to build a MythTV box, but caved in and just got Sky+ instead.

For my job I'm a Railway Signalman which I thoroughly enjoy :)

money2themax
January 20th, 2008, 02:31 AM
wow the reposes I've gotten are different that i first expected but great nonetheless

slimdog360
January 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
yep, they are great. but I also love other things.

Redache
January 20th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I adore playing with computers and I've broken a fair few in my lifetime. I remember the first official PC we had a Packard Bell, Looking back it was the ugliest and most worthless PC ever created but Rebel Assault was so much fun!.

I regret throwing away a lot of our old computers, some of them would come in useful. I have a couple of Dell P3 Optiplexes lying around but I just haven't been bothered to shell out the money for Ram and hard drives for them. I was tempted to try a bewoulf of Optiplexes and seeing what happens but I have less energy these days.

The reason I haven't got the energy is because I work for the Local Authority as a Clerical Assistant and the levels of tape that cover people from head to toe drives me completely insane. I'm also severely bored and I can't find a way to fill my time because I finish most things far to quickly.

Luckily I found out last week I've been accepted into University to do a Business Information technology course, which is Comp Sci + Business. Looking forward to finally going to university after 3 years of work and boredom.

My biggest problem is going to be saving up for a Laptop I want and to stop being compulsive in my shiny things purchases.

It's gonna be difficult!.

firedancer
January 21st, 2008, 04:06 AM
since using linux it has become part of my passion kind of,
on the pc i'm using now (which is not mine) i installed kubuntu after they were experiencing network problems,
2 days ago i dismantled three pc's to get one working ,actually i was on my way to the library ,but never reached (well the next day), had to figure out what the problem was , i'll have to use some parts of one of my own old pc's(which was my server), so next week it'll be fixed, didn't had my dyne livecd ,then i would 've been able to run one without hd ,
yes i wasn't able to leave, until i was sure what i needed
it's kind of my hobby ,cause i didn't ask money but i'll get something anyway ,i just like to help out when i can i guess
and ubuntu stays the os i prefer to introduce to folks ,cause i use it myself :KS

Mr. Picklesworth
January 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM
Well, I asked for a computer-related text book (with a dull name) which is published by MIT for Christmas, much to the shock and awe of my relatives. "The Elements of Computing Systems: Building a Modern Computer from First Principles (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7654043762021156507)" if you are interested!

I guess makes me suitably obsessed, possibly blinded by love of learning this technology.
...Well, if I don't call it love, this sounds like a real waste of time :P

What I like about computers is that there is always something to learn. It is a field where the deeper you dig, the smaller you become. Like cosmology, in that way. The more I figure out about how computers work, the less I realize I know in the field. Now, whenever I am told to rate my understanding of computers, I have to give myself less than a 5 out of 10. My percieved understanding seems to have been going down steadily, and that is good. Never will I have nothing to ponder.

The people who design these systems must be geniuses!
...but that is where things get really cool. Thanks to the transparency in open source projects and simple logic (there are not this many geniuses out there), we can quite easily see that these systems were not designed by single geniuses. There is an incredible amount of collaboration in this field, and it really is a fascinating insight into the communication (cooperation / collaboration) skills that separate us from the animals.

money2themax
January 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
Well, I asked for a computer-related text book (with a dull name) which is published by MIT for Christmas, much to the shock and awe of my relatives. "The Elements of Computing Systems: Building a Modern Computer from First Principles (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7654043762021156507)" if you are interested!

I guess makes me suitably obsessed, possibly blinded by love of learning this technology.
...Well, if I don't call it love, this sounds like a real waste of time :P

What I like about computers is that there is always something to learn. It is a field where the deeper you dig, the smaller you become. Like cosmology, in that way. The more I figure out about how computers work, the less I realize I know in the field. Now, whenever I am told to rate my understanding of computers, I have to give myself less than a 5 out of 10. My percieved understanding seems to have been going down steadily, and that is good. Never will I have nothing to ponder.

The people who design these systems must be geniuses!
...but that is where things get really cool. Thanks to the transparency in open source projects and simple logic (there are not this many geniuses out there), we can quite easily see that these systems were not designed by single geniuses. There is an incredible amount of collaboration in this field, and it really is a fascinating insight into the communication (cooperation / collaboration) skills that separate us from the animals.i'm doing the same for my 18th B-Day on Feb 27 i'm asking for 2GB of RAM and a 900pg ubuntu book for helping out this community:lolflag: