PDA

View Full Version : our computer collection

wolfen69
January 19th, 2008, 05:55 AM
just wanted to share me and a friends computer collection. nothing awesome, but decent. we just started a pc repair business and took out an ad in the yellow pages. hopefully we'll get some calls soon. we looked at it this way, we're always doing computer stuff all the time(as in many hours a day) anyway, we may as well get paid for it. :)

hopefully other people will stand up and tell their story and maybe post some pix of their setups. good or bad, ugly or pretty, it doesnt matter.

p.s. yes, we are "slobs" when it comes to wiring. all of the desktops have the sides off all the time because we're always swapping parts in and out. plus they stay pretty cool that way too.

3 machines are multiboot, 1 is flavor of the day, another (the mini itx) is debian, the laptop is xp/feisty. plus a few test partitions. we have a real good time installing and testing.

Zack McCool
January 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM
p.s. yes, we are "slobs" when it comes to wiring. all of the desktops have the sides off all the time because we're always swapping parts in and out. plus they stay pretty cool too.

I don't have any pics right now, but you should rethink this... The PC's should stay cooler with the covers on. The airflow design is to move air through the PC, over components apt to heat issues. With the covers off, there is no directed flow of air...

nat6138
January 19th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I don't have any pics right now, but you should rethink this... The PC's should stay cooler with the covers on. The airflow design is to move air through the PC, over components apt to heat issues. With the covers off, there is no directed flow of air...

When I take off my keyboard on my laptop, my cpu temp goes down to 100 degrees.

When I put it back on, it goes back up to around 130 degrees.

As for the thread, I'll put some pics up in a minute. Haha.

wolfen69
January 19th, 2008, 06:12 AM
it doesnt matter. our cpu's are running quite cool. have a good fan, will travel.

nat6138
January 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Really dirty screen. Haha. :)

Zack McCool
January 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM
When I take off my keyboard on my laptop, my cpu temp goes down to 100 degrees.

When I put it back on, it goes back up to around 130 degrees.

As for the thread, I'll put some pics up in a minute. Haha.

Laptops have serious airflow problems. The design is quite different from a desktop, where there is cavernous space internally, and usually several fans.

wolfen69
January 19th, 2008, 06:16 AM
actually, the best computer design would be to just have all the parts out in the open. ambient temp often can be better than a restricted airflow.

Zack McCool
January 19th, 2008, 06:19 AM
actually, the best computer design would be to just have all the parts out in the open. ambient temp often can be better than a restricted airflow.

The inside of a computer (if built right) is not a restricted airflow. It is much faster than any ambient air system could provide. The fans are there for a reason. The case also protects, but if you have designed the internals correctly, you can manage temperature much better with a closed system.

wolfen69
January 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Laptops have serious airflow problems. The design is quite different from a desktop, where there is cavernous space internally, and usually several fans.

thanks to that, ive gotten a few jobs. :lolflag:

wolfen69
January 19th, 2008, 06:27 AM
i really want people to get their digital cameras out and show us your silicon.

i like seeing how other people setup their computers.

geekygirl
January 19th, 2008, 10:45 AM
In the picture with the two laptops the one on the RHS of the shot is my personal laptop (specs are in my sig), the one on the left is my work provided HP which runs Windows XP. The desktop in that photo was the old gaming rig prior to building the new one as seen in the second photo (specs for the new rig are in my sig) The old gaming rig was going to be turned into a HTPC (without that case - decent HTPC case instead :D ) but as the replacement gaming rig is due for an upgrade (just waiting on the Penryn cores to be released...hehehe) I might be using that instead as it will be a far better machine!

popch
January 19th, 2008, 12:06 PM
There used to be another thread doing quite the same. Its title was something like 'show a picture of your real desk top'.

Joeb454
January 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I remember that thread, was quite good :) I might get round to posting pics of my laptop/desktops at some point

didijeeeke
January 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
lol i will do it right away when i am ready cleaning it up.

Nolander
January 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
No pic at moment just picture the an 18 yo computer geek sitting on the couch with a laptop. but once i get my new place im gonna set up a study. ill post pics then.

-nolander

oldb0y
January 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Here's my place. I've got a couple of laptops running Ubuntu, a desktop with XP and an old desktop running Xubuntu.

regomodo
January 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Here is the thread some people are reffering to

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=479677

A thread merge perhaps?