PDA

View Full Version : SUN bought MYSQL

timboellis
January 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
What does everyone think of this and what will be the outcome

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Well, this may be the first time I've ever agreed with anything that came out of John Dvorak's mouth, but like him, I say it stinks.

DoktorSeven
January 19th, 2008, 02:45 AM
As someone that doesn't care much for either Sun or mysql, I say let them be happy together. They deserve one another. :)

Mateo
February 1st, 2008, 02:25 AM
i'm surprised this isn't being talked about more. this is huge. one of the biggest open source players buying the best database program on the planet. big deal if you ask me.

jrusso2
February 1st, 2008, 02:46 AM
I don't really understand why SUN did it unless they want to compete with Oracle or as someone suggested kill MYSQL to help Oracle.

kamaboko
February 1st, 2008, 04:12 AM
i'm surprised this isn't being talked about more. this is huge. one of the biggest open source players buying the best database program on the planet. big deal if you ask me.

Hmmm....I don't think MYSQL is better than Oracle.

Stephen Winters
February 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM
What does everyone think of this and what will be the outcome

I haven't heard about this. Could you where you heard about this? I'd like to read more about it. Can you give me a URL link that tells about this?

Thanks
Stephen

Ooops, I found it Sun acquires MySQL (http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/2008/01/16/sun-acquires-mysql/) and Sun Announces .... (http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2008-01/sunflash.20080116.1.xml) . I guess I've had my head in the sand. When I did a Google Search, I found "Sun Bought MySQL" all over the place (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sun+buys+OR+bought+mysql&btnG=Google+Search). Thanks for letting me know.

Stephen

DjBones
February 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
i hope SUN doesn't kill mysql after acquiring it,
doesn't seem very logical for a company i always thought as friendly to open source

graabein
May 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/2008/05/06/mysql-server-is-open-source-even-backup-extensions/

Looks like it's going to remain fully open source after all.

schtufbox
May 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Chances are sun will keep it open source, but companies can buy a 'package' with support etc, and that's what they'd pay for..the support.
Pointless really, all the support you really need is out there on the web :)

samjh
May 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Chances are sun will keep it open source, but companies can buy a 'package' with support etc, and that's what they'd pay for..the support.
Pointless really, all the support you really need is out there on the web :)

Not if you're a business with > 10,000 clients who needs a working solution within 10 minutes.

DrMega
May 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
:confused: I thought MySQL was open source. How do you go about selling something that was community developed? Do those that contributed get anything out of the deal? Maybe I've misunderstood something here?

popch
May 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Not if you're a business with > 10,000 clients who needs a working solution within 10 minutes.

Which database vendor will produce a working solution within 10 minutes of learning the problem?

:confused: I thought MySQL was open source. How do you go about selling something that was community developed? Do those that contributed get anything out of the deal? Maybe I've misunderstood something here?

Open Source != developed by a community

DrMega
May 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Open Source != developed by a community

I understand that. What I meant was I thought MySQL was both open source and at least in part, community developed.

I seem to recall some time ago looking at their website and unless I dreamt it, they did give info as to how you could contribute. If this is right, then surely they have sold someone else's work.

Apart from that little point (which I may have remembered incorrectly), I see no problem with Sun taking on MySQL. Companies like to do business with big names like Sun, and I don't begrudge anyone making money from their efforts.

CREEPING DEATH
May 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
the corps are buying OSS projects, seemingly to insure they'll continue. Apple bought CUPS a while back, and I think owns a few others. I don't see it as a big deal as it's companies investing in OSS to keep them viable in the marketplace.

CD