aimran
January 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.26ghz
512mb ram

or

Intel Pentium Dual-Core @1.8ghz
3gb ram

Ram-wise:

If your usage of ram is exceeding 512mb then the latter would be a faster option since you don't have to read/write swap much. That is of course until you hit the 3gb limit.

CPU-wise:

If you have applications that make use of the dual core cpu then the latter is faster. However be warned that clock speed isn't a good measure of a CPU's processing speed. Other factors count like the architecture of the system etc.

mips
January 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.26ghz
512mb ram

or

Intel Pentium Dual-Core @1.8ghz
3gb ram

The dual-core system will be faster, period.
Even with one core alone it should be faster than the P4 although that has a higher clock speed. The architecture has changed quite a bit.

tad1073
January 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
The reason i ask is because I am trying to get my mom to buy a new computer, which is the Dual-Core and give me the Pentium 4.

Right now I have an old Compaq Proliant ML 330 Pentium 3 @ 733mhz w/256mb ram and 3x9.1gb hd's. the ram cost 2x to 3x as much as the ram for newer computers and I can't find any, other than online. IF I buy the ram from HP it is about $150 compares to $60. Hell, it is hard to find ram in stores for the Pentium 4 for that matter. I could spend $500 easily trying to bring the ML 330 up to speed.

~LoKe
January 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
What are the specs of the ram? (how many pins?)

tad1073
January 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I think it is 168 pin pc2100 ddr for the pentium 4

~LoKe
January 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Reasonable price (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052107967&name=168-Pin+SDRAM).

p_quarles
January 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Well, yes, the Pentium Dual-Core is going to be an improvement over your mom's current computer. A little research, though, turned up the fact that there are two very different processors in that line: the older one is similar to Core Duo, but with a smaller cache, and the newer one is a 64-bit CPU similar to the Core 2 Duo, again with a smaller cache.

I would find out which one it is before doing anything else.

Btw, I have both a Pentium 4 (old desktop) and a Core Duo (laptop). The clock speeds are the same on both (1.8 GHz), but the Core Duo is much more powerful.

tad1073
January 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
All my mom does with the Pentium 4 is word process, email, pictures. She is owner operator of a no kill cat rescue so she has to keep pics of the cats for the website (hosted not by this computer) Here are the specs of the new computer that I am trying to get her to buy (tax write off) $679.97:

Gateway GT5622 Desktop with 17" Widescreen LCD Monitor & Photo Printer

* Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E2160 with 800MHz frontside bus, 1MB shared L2 cache and 1.8GHz processor speed
* 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power; expandable to 4GB
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

* 400GB Serial ATA II hard drive (7200 rpm); Gateway Portable Media Drive bay to easily add a second, removable hard drive (Portable Media Drive not included)
* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with available PCI Express x16 slot and up to 224MB shared memory; high-definition audio (8-channel support)
* 15-in-1 digital media reader supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo
* Also supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive; supports mini Secure Digital, Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) and MultiMediaCard Mobile with optional adapters (not included)
* 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports, front and rear accessible, for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity
* Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed data/fax modem
* Multimedia keyboard, USB optical 2-button wheel mouse and USB amplified stereo speakers
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006, CyberLink Power2Go, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

jpittack
January 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I thought Pentium D's were the 4's sodered together, much like intel's quad cores now. If that is the case, the pentium 4 has the advantage, because it would be the same processor at a higher clock speed, with the RAM limiting the system.

The 3 GB won't be dual channel (I don't know of a 6 slot motherboard), nor will the other RAM, so neither RAM really has a speed advantage, or atleast that you will notice.

Honestly, if the Pentium D's are really two 4's sodered together, it all comes down to "Will you exceed the 512 MB?"

mips
January 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I think it is 168 pin pc2100 ddr for the pentium 4

It will probably take ddr400 ram just fine but be certain about it.
Is the P4 a brand pc or a built up one? If you can give us the details of the pc or motherboard we could tell you exactly what ram it takes.

I got 2x1GB ddr400 sticks last week to bring me up to 3GB. I was going to get 2x512MB in dual channel config but the shop did not have any so i just got the one gig ones instead.

The ram should not be to expensive though. I paid about US$84 for the 2x1GB sticks.

p_quarles
January 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
The E2160 is the newer, 64-bit version of the Dual-Core.

jpittack
Thats not a Pentium that you are talking about. Thats a core 2 duo. Pentium line ended. I take back my post. The core 2 duo is faster.

tad1073
Reasonable price (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052107967&name=168-Pin+SDRAM).

Yeah, looked at newegg for ram for both computers. i don't wan't to have to wait to get it though, i have a problem with being impatient.

p_quarles
January 18th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Thats not a Pentium that you are talking about. Thats a core 2 duo. Pentium line ended. I take back my post. The core 2 duo is faster.
No, it's not. It's the Pentium Dual-Core, which is essentially the "Celeron" of the Core line.

~LoKe
January 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
No, it's not. It's the Pentium Dual-Core, which is essentially the "Celeron" of the Core line.

Negative. The E series all belong to the C2D line.

EDIT: I'm wrong.

p_quarles
January 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Negative. The E series all belong to the C2D line.
Kinda. The Dual-Core essential is a C2D chip with a 1 MB cache. Don't take my word for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core

mips
January 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I thought Pentium D's were the 4's sodered together, much like intel's quad cores now. If that is the case, the pentium 4 has the advantage, because it would be the same processor at a higher clock speed, with the RAM limiting the system.

The 3 GB won't be dual channel (I don't know of a 6 slot motherboard), nor will the other RAM, so neither RAM really has a speed advantage, or atleast that you will notice.

Honestly, if the Pentium D's are really two 4's sodered together, it all comes down to "Will you exceed the 512 MB?"

When you say Pentium D do you mean Dual-Core ?

If you are then 'no' it is not simply two P4 processors on the same die. They have made many improvements to the new cpus over the p4.

3GB can be dual channel. I have 3GB dual channel in my PC with 4 dimm sockets. Easy, 2x512MB + 2x1GB. That is my exact config I my bios at bootup confirms it is in DC mode 128bits wide.

~LoKe
January 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Kinda. The Dual-Core essential is a C2D chip with a 1 MB cache. Don't take my word for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core

Yep. They're basically the inbetween model. The EXXXX threw me off. Intel is getting all funny with their processors. They released the E6300 then backtracked down to E4xxx and I believe they're still doing an E3xxx group, too. I've been out of the loop for a bit and assumed they've made it down to the E2160. I've never heard of a Pentium D being released with the E-suffix.

tad1073
January 18th, 2008, 11:27 PM
It will probably take ddr400 ram just fine but be certain about it.
Is the P4 a brand pc or a built up one? If you can give us the details of the pc or motherboard we could tell you exactly what ram it takes.

I got 2x1GB ddr400 sticks last week to bring me up to 3GB. I was going to get 2x512MB in dual channel config but the shop did not have any so i just got the one gig ones instead.

The ram should not be to expensive though. I paid about US$84 for the 2x1GB sticks.

Gateway Pentium 4 @ 2.26ghz
80 gb hd 512mb ram all stock.

that is all I really know about it.

tad1073
January 18th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I put a D-Link Extreme N Desktop wireless card on the Compaq at it worked like a charm until I tried to use it with Ubuntu.

Off Topic:

Who do I talk to about cookie experation? I have to login to the forums a lot even when I have not exited. I have my cookies set to keep until they expire.

p_quarles
January 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Yep. They're basically the inbetween model. The EXXXX threw me off. Intel is getting all funny with their processors. They released the E6300 then backtracked down to E4xxx and I believe they're still doing an E3xxx group, too. I've been out of the loop for a bit and assumed they've made it down to the E2160. I've never heard of a Pentium D being released with the E-suffix.
Oh, but the D is something else again (I know because I'm using one atm): That's a pair of 64-bit Pentium 4 chips made into a dual-core CPU, and comes with a full 2 MB L2 cache.

Basically, it's impossible to figure out Intel's naming/numbering scheme without a scientific calculator and a full-wall blackboard.

Christmas
January 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
If that Dual Core is actually Core 2 Duo than it's definitely faster. I had a P4 Prescott at 2.8GHz and was about 20% slower than my current Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz. 3GB RAM is also very good, especially on these new distros, so I'd say go with Dual Core, no matter if it's Core 2 Duo or not, memory is a big advantage.

Also take a look at this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=60264) thread, you might find these two models there.

intense.ego
January 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I put a D-Link Extreme N Desktop wireless card on the Compaq at it worked like a charm until I tried to use it with Ubuntu.

Off Topic:

Who do I talk to about cookie experation? I have to login to the forums a lot even when I have not exited. I have my cookies set to keep until they expire.

I know this sounds too simple, but did you tick "Remember Me" when you logged on?

gn2
January 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
A lot of confusion about some Intel processor names, which is hardly surprising because they've deliberately made it very difficult.

Pentium D is two old Pentium 4's lashed together. Avoid like the plague.

Pentium Duo was a name for low spec Core 2 Duo 64-bit CPU's
Pentium Duo was re-badged as Pentium Dual-Core, E models are 64-bit
T20XX and T21XX are 32-bit, T23XX are 64-bit.

Celeron Dual-Core has now appeared: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139975

Just to make sure everyone knows, the Celeron D is not a dual-core CPU.

Could they make it any more confusing?
Well yes, check out the Wikipedia pages on Core, Core Solo, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo.

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Pentium D is two old Pentium 4's lashed together. Avoid like the plague.
Mine works great! It's more of a budget option than an "I want the plague" option.

Pentium Duo was a name for low spec Core 2 Duo 64-bit CPU's
Originally, it was the low-spec version of the 32-bit Core Duo. The newer version of the Pentium Dual-Core is 64-bit. That wasn't shipped until June of last year.

gn2
January 19th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Originally, it [Pentium Duo] was the low-spec version of the 32-bit Core Duo. The newer version of the Pentium Dual-Core is 64-bit. That wasn't shipped until June of last year.

In the UK the E2140 and E2160 were initially badged Pentium Duo and although described as Allendale were 64-bit Conroes with half the cache disabled.

Apologies if my advice on Pentium D was harsh, it's just that the TDP is massively higher than any Core job.
As for budget option, have you seen how cheap Pentium Dual-Cores are now?

Dare say when you bought the Pentium D it may have been a budget option and I'm sure it will serve you well, but for anyone buying today, I stand by my advice.

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 06:11 AM
In the UK the E2140 and E2160 were initially badged Pentium Duo and although described as Allendale were 64-bit Conroes with half the cache disabled.
So, Intel apparently names its chips differently based on which nation they're shipped to. To paraphrase what I said earlier in this thread, Intel's naming & numbering scheme was clearly not meant to be understood by mortals.

Apologies if my advice on Pentium D was harsh, it's just that the TDP is massively higher than any Core job.
No apologies necessary. I was riffing on your hyperbolic comparison of the D chip to the plague, but I agree (of course) that the C2D is a superior CPU by any measure. If the latter had been available for a similar price when I purchased, I definitely would have taken it.

EdThaSlayer
January 19th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Dual core always beats single core if you are planning to multi-task(which almost everyone does nowadays).

Red Shift
January 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Why give your mom the faster computer? The P4 should be fine for her tasks. You take the new muscle. :)

tad1073
January 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
because she is the one that is going to be paying for it.