PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Trading - The Game

Nevon
January 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
As many of you know, an emissions trading system was in January 2005 put into practice in the European Union. If you don't know anything about it, feel free to learn more about it here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Emission_Trading_Scheme)

Anyway, this thread is not about the real-life implementation of this system, but rather an idea for an online browser-based game: Emissions Trading - The Game!
The world would consist of a number of countries, each controlled by a single player. Each year the player would be given a number of credits to be used as he or she sees fit - either to pay for the emissions, or to be sold to other countries for money that can be used to lower the let outs of the country. Every year the total amount of credits that are distributed is lowered. After a set number of "years" (a real-life day could be an in-game year) the game ends, and various awards could go to the countries that have succeeded best - both economically and environmentally.

The system would of course have to be dummed down to the point where it would be easy enough to understand the game mechanics quickly, but I believe that the emissions trading system is ideal for making a game. Think nationstates or travian.

Sadly my PHP skills are, to say the least, rusty, and I wouldn't be able to make something like this on my own. So I'm just throwing the idea out there, if anyone would be interested in making something of it. I'm sure I could help out in some way.

Comments? Suggestions?