PDA

View Full Version : Kde 4.0

nikolas68
January 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Have you guys checked the latest KDE 4.0??It's pretty spectacular!!! I'm a Gnome supporter...but after running the live CD for a couple of hours....mmmm....i just hope the 2008 Ubuntu version will be as good as the Kubuntu!

billgoldberg
January 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah,

kde4 is buggy as hell, and the menu just sucks.

You can always install kde4 on ubuntu with these guidelines:

1. Go to syptic. Go to settings -> repositories -> third party software -> add and enter this:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main

Then reload synaptic (top left)

2. Open up a terminal and enter this:

sudo aptitude install kde4-core

3. Log out. Go to sessions and select kde4. Log in.

And remove with these kde4;

sudo aptitude purge kde4 kde4-core

That way you can use both kde4 and gnome on the same system with reinstalling the system.

I tried kde4 stable this way and removed it the next day.

It wasn't usable enough. I'll try 4.1

diskotek
January 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
thank you for this quick tutorial, i would like to try, but may be later...
btw, is this working on feisty fawn? or i should change the source name?

DeadSuperHero
January 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I've been using 4.0 for about a week now. Although there are a few bugs, it seems to run rather well on my PC. Sometimes Plasma is a little slow, Kickoff isn't the best (waiting for Raptor!), and things like root permissions won't work without using sudo. Other than that, though, it's really quite usable for ordinary everyday stuff.

adityakavoor
January 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
kde is just looks

gnome rocks

nikolas68
January 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM
kde is just looks

gnome rocks

LOL

Nano Geek
January 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Come on guys.
Lets not turn this into another KDE vs. GNOME war.

stimpack
January 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am long time KDE user, and I have much love for KDE. However Ive played with 4.0, and can safely say I'm waiting for 4.1 before I switch.

Its taking a direction I don't really like (new menu/dolphin), thankfully KDE being what it is, you can easily use Konq and kmenu still.

Once the features are complete and the bugs ironed out, I'm sure I will switch.

fuscia
January 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
any idea what i'd put in my .xinitrc to start kde4 with startx?

SunnyRabbiera
January 18th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I really dont see what the big deal is, KDE4 right now is clunky and limited...
I really dont like it, I will stick to KDE 3.5 till 4 gets more features and themes and such

daverich
January 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
it aint ready,- but it bodes well for the future of KDE.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

sauronsmatrix
January 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
i tried kde4, its slightly buggy at times, but really pretty and fast

zipperback
January 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
It looks nice, but I'm going to wait a month or so before I install it, I want to make sure there aren't any major bugs in the release version.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

happysmileman
January 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I'm using it now on OpenSuse, obviously I'm annoyed at some stuff, like the theme for plasma apps doesn't seem to fit in with the theme for Windows, though that will probably change once more themes start to get made for it, and right now it's still too hard to customise stuff like the panel and all.

But it definitey seems faster than KDE3, and I suppose it's quite an achievement to add on so much features and still manage to increase it's speed, so when everything is finished and polished it will probably be brilliant

amadeus266
January 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Come on guys.
Lets not turn this into another KDE vs. GNOME war.

Why not? Some of us like to argue with our alter ego.:lolflag:

Speidereyes
January 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I tried KDE 4 in Kubuntu from the repositories. It is quite buggy and I agree with other posters that one should wait until 4.1 or so. I also do not like the default menu. I first came across this menu in OpenSuse and I hate it. It is not at all user friendly. Either the old menu should be kept as default or a new one should be designed. I saw much better looking menu mock-ups on KDE Look but perhaps these designs were deemed to look too much like XP and Vista menu. Dispite these issues, KDE 4 bodes well for the future.

luca.b
January 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
There is already a traditional menu. Have a look in the add widgets dialog and you'll find it.

bigbang
January 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I like KDEs new look. But that is about it because it contains zero features. Im quite dependant on the mac-style menu bar (which i cant find in any KDE4 options) and I hate the fact the menu bar cant be customized. I want customizing options before I switch. I think the best part of KDE4 is QT4 fullstop. Plasma is interesting but it still needs to win me over.
Thank you for reading my rant.

mips
January 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
....i just hope the 2008 Ubuntu version will be as good as the Kubuntu!

KDE4 will not be in Kubuntu 8.04!

I wonder how many people are going to be dissapointed when they find this out?

Sef
January 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Do you have a link to where you saw that?

Polygon
January 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
i really should HOPE that kde4 would not be in hardy.....i mean look at it now. They have 3 months to magically make kde4 stable enough for people and companies to use as part of a long term support distro?

I have also heard that KDE4 would not be DEFAULT for kubuntu in hardy, but it will still be in the offical repos so if you ever want to install it, its there.

and im sure kde4 will be great, in another year.

kellemes
January 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM

I wonder how many people are going to be dissapointed when they find this out?

http://blog.nixternal.com/2007.12.20/kubuntu-804-featuring-kde-4/

mips
January 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
http://blog.nixternal.com/2007.12.20/kubuntu-804-featuring-kde-4/

Then I stand corrected! So it won't be a LTS.

How are they going to fit both 3.5 & 4.0 on one iso image ?

mips
January 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Do you have a link to where you saw that?

I read this a while back but it looks like the above link changes things a bit.

mips
January 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
i really should HOPE that kde4 would not be in hardy.....i mean look at it now. They have 3 months to magically make kde4 stable enough for people and companies to use as part of a long term support distro?

Well it looks like it won't be a LTS release.

I will rather wait for KDEmod 4.1 I think.

kellemes
January 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I will rather wait for KDEmod 4.1 I think.

Good point..
I saw some thread somewhere between KDE-developers speaking there thoughts about the current state of KDE4.. not very positive indeed. (can't find it anymore)
I don't feel KDE4 is ready for prime time yet and can at the most provide for an eye-candy environment but not very functional.
When KDE4 hits Debian-Sid I'll check it out..

sauronsmatrix
January 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM
8.04 is going to be an LTS release, right?

samwyse
January 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/kde-41-release-team-aims-at-july-2008/

There will be many bug fix releases before 4.1, but I don't think I'll start using KDE4 until the new KDE PIM (Kontact/KMail etc) is released.

Kubuntu 8.04 is not going to be LTS. KDE4 is not ready and KDE3.5 can't be guaranteed to be supported for the next five years. I don't get the fascination with LTS's, but I guess some people care.

Balazs_noob
January 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
8.04 is going to be an LTS release, right?

Ubuntu yes
Kubuntu no

at least as i know :P

airtonix
January 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
root permissions won't work without using sudo

Im confused. please clarify.

Blondie
January 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
it aint ready,- but it bodes well for the future of KDE.

Agreed and nicely put.

My thought when I tried it was "it'll be great when it's finished". So I'm not sure if that's a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Blondie
January 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I also do not like the default menu. I first came across this menu in OpenSuse and I hate it. It is not at all user friendly. Either the old menu should be kept as default or a new one should be designed.

The best designed Linux menu I've ever used is the Mintmenu on Linux Mint. Better than the openSUSE menus on either Gnome or KDE. Which just goes to show that it's not the resources of a major company that make for the best designed software.

cotcot
January 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I am a gnome user for the moment. Thanks for all of you installing and bugreporting on 4.0. This phase is required to get the 4.1 stage.

sports fan Matt
January 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I saw it for maybe 2 seconds, then it rebooted to the logon screen as before..Sorry guys, but I cant comment on something if I cant get it to stay long enough to evaluate..whats worse, it hosed my desktop so, im not impressed and i honestly may not try 4.1..i tried to get 4.0 running for 5-6 days and same thing every time...*sigh* its not ready

The Noble
January 20th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I can't speak for the others, but KDE 4.0 has been stable for me for a couple of days. I have not had any crashes or hangs, although I have not dug to deep because most of the preconfigured options are good. The only thing they need to work on is customizeability and smaller apps that polish the look and feel. I use hardy, but KDE 4.0 is now totally useable for me.

Nezing
January 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I have also been running kde 4.0 for a few days.First install,and I had a desktop freeze.Could not do anything.After a reboot,it appeared ok.However,Konqbrowser kept crashing (I have reported this),so currently using Firefox.No problems so far.
I do not like the huge taskbar,which you can not change (yet).It is far too big.True,you can place icons on it,but as others have said,kde 4.0 is still very buggy.To be honest,I am expecting it to crash anytime.As already mentioned,I am also not a fan of the menu layout.
Hopefully,4.1 will be more stable.Still,it is nice eye-candy? :lolflag:

I would rather have a stable desktop environment every time.Lots of work still to be done on this I think.

BanskuZ
January 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
It was pretty disappointment to me. The new menu was weird, Kwin was slow as hell and I couldn't find anything to configure properly. I recommend users to stay with KDE 3.5.5 until KDE 4.1 arrives.

utUtu
January 20th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Using it for 2 days now, and looks impressive. In fact Konqueror is telling me there is coding error on Ubuntuforums which I never saw before :) Look at the red bug on the lower right corner !!!

Error: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=34970055: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: $

:guitar:

mips
January 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Using it for 2 days now, and looks impressive. In fact Konqueror is telling me there is coding error on Ubuntuforums which I never saw before :) Look at the red bug on the lower right corner !!!

I get that in 3.5.8 so it is nothing new.

LuisAugusto
January 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
I saw it for maybe 2 seconds, then it rebooted to the logon screen as before..Sorry guys, but I cant comment on something if I cant get it to stay long enough to evaluate..whats worse, it hosed my desktop so, im not impressed and i honestly may not try 4.1..i tried to get 4.0 running for 5-6 days and same thing every time...*sigh* its not ready

Those are distrubutions bad packages, not KDE fault.

dlegend
January 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
I admit, I haven't done a lot of testing in KDE 4. But from what I have experienced, it is no where near stable right now. I recommend that nobody should use it for day to day purposes, but instead for testing / curiosity. Maybe in 4.1 or later it will actually be usable.

As has been said, KDE4 shows a lot of promise, it just isn't quite there yet.

markoloka
January 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Couple of bugs that should had been fixed before announcement... try them and you'll see them (unless there was update today)... Logout & Lock Screen.

fredbird67
March 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Spectacular, my foot!

KDE4 drove me AWAY from KDE to GNOME and Xfce.

Nicolas68, what have you been smoking?

Mehall
March 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Spectacular, my foot!

KDE4 drove me AWAY from KDE to GNOME and Xfce.

Nicolas68, what have you been smoking?

Wow, way to resurrect old thread. Especially since KDE4.1 is great, and the new iteration is even better.

KCG102282
March 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, way to resurrect old thread. Especially since KDE4.1 is great, and the new iteration is even better.
It is when did that happen? KDE 4.2 is also horrible. I don't know how KDE could screw something so good up so bad!

liamnixon
March 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Actually, I'm enjoying the new (4.2) KDE. :) I used to hate KDE, but since I switched to Slackware I've really learned to love it, though it has some odd quirks (like no taskbar audio mixer until it suddenly showed up when I turned my computer on one day)