PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmmm.........

newbie2
January 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=671086

Paul820
January 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, i read that as well. Some people seem to forget that ubuntu is put together by people in their own time and forget that they might have other commitments.

OffHand
January 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, i read that as well. Some people seem to forget that ubuntu is put together by people in their own time and forget that they might have other commitments.

Ubuntu developers do get paid.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers

Scarath
January 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM

i agree, and also alot of the bugs he has experienced may be with the programs he's install and not with ubuntu?

whatever the reason he should fix them him self, donate money, shut up and get on with it or switch distros.

I cant believe people moan so much when they are getting it for free, its not like anyone forced him to use ubuntu and he is stuck with all these bugs for all time. sheesh!

newbie2
January 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM

maybe more paid developers for the solution then?
:rolleyes:

OffHand
January 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
i agree, and also alot of the bugs he has experienced may be with the programs he's install and not with ubuntu?

whatever the reason he should fix them him self, donate money, shut up and get on with it or switch distros.

I cant believe people moan so much when they are getting it for free, its not like anyone forced him to use ubuntu and he is stuck with all these bugs for all time. sheesh!

Saying that is free so they should not complain is a very bad reason.

OffHand
January 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
maybe more paid developers for the solution then?
:rolleyes:

Of course this will speed up the fix rate but it will never be completely bug free.

billgoldberg
January 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
All I can say is that gutsy is the best version of ubuntu I've ever used.

Paul820
January 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The bugs do eventually get ironed out. There are thousands of them to deal with and only so many developers dealing with them. I don't see why people have to demand that their bug has to be dealt with above all others. Some bugs have higher priority over others so a little bit of patience is all that is needed.

marco123
January 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
He's right, it's absolutely disgusting. I'd ask for a full refund if I was him.

Seriously though, that's kind of like someone giving you their old PC and you then complaining to them that the graphics card in it isn't good enough. Then complaining to everyone that your friend is a ****.:confused:

mips
January 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Not all of them, only those in the employ of canonical. The rest of them are pretty much volunteers.

conehead77
January 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Saying that is free so they should not complain is a very bad reason.

+1
If nobody complains it cant get better. Also users can be quite harsh, thats just human nature. Developers (paid or not) have to get used to complaints (even if they are not justified).
As far as i can tell Ubuntu developers treat us users pretty good.

popch
January 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
+1
If nobody complains it cant get better. Also users can be quite harsh, thats just human nature. Developers (paid or not) have to get used to complaints (even if they are not justified).

Complaining without cause is not harsh but rude. Developers need not get used to being abused, and it's neither fair nor reasonable to expect them to do so.

Where there is no contract, you have no cause for complaint. When you do not pay anything at all for a product, complaining is just poor manners and does not serve any useful purpose.

If you really want to contribute to the improvement of a software product, criticise. That's something entirely different from complaining, and it can be at least as difficult as developing a piece of software.

Scarath
January 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
+1

I just think complaining about something you pay nothing for, dont try to change and have so much choice over (god knows how many distros exist now) is just bad form.

But ur right in that constructive criticism is always needed no matter how harsh it is, however just saying 'ubuntu is bugging someone fix it for me' is just selfish and childish.

p_quarles
January 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Nicely put, popch. Criticism is indeed hard work, and shouldn't be confused with complaining.

Of course, if you have paid support for Ubuntu, you are free to complain, but to the support reps, not here.

popch
January 19th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Of course, if you have paid support for Ubuntu, you are free to complain, but to the support reps, not here.

Even then, you are only free to complain if the support is not forthcoming or not being - er - supportive.

On the other hand, if you pay for a piece of software and that software does not live up to specifications, then you have cause for complaint. Please note that I have said specifications, not expectations. That's an entirely other kettle of fish. (does this idiom exist?)

And in that case, even complaining can require considerable skill. Successfully complaining, that is.

The other kind is just a kind of tantrum.

conehead77
January 19th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Complaining without cause is not harsh but rude. Developers need not get used to being abused, and it's neither fair nor reasonable to expect them to do so.

Where there is no contract, you have no cause for complaint. When you do not pay anything at all for a product, complaining is just poor manners and does not serve any useful purpose.

If you really want to contribute to the improvement of a software product, criticise. That's something entirely different from complaining, and it can be at least as difficult as developing a piece of software.

I agree completely with what you said, but you cant change peoples minds. They will continue to complain without cause. So what im saying is that its better to find ways to deal with complaints rather than just say STFU (not saying that i know how to deal with it ;) ).
If you talk to people who work at customer support you know what i mean :)
Even if Ubuntu is free, average joe wont change his behavior (unfortunately).

The problem (at advantage at the same time) with free software is that users directly communicate with the developers rather than professional customer support. This will always lead to misunderstandings and thats what FOSS developers are experiencing and its getting more serious the more people join the community.

popch
January 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
(...) you cant change peoples minds. They will continue to complain without cause. So what im saying is that its better to find ways to deal with complaints rather than just say STFU (not saying that i know how to deal with it ).
If you talk to people who work at customer support you know what i mean .

I did work at customer support, and I do know what you mean. It is not true that 'the people' will continue to complain. Some people will. While I was in 'customer' support, I usually got people to cooperate. I also got some to shut up. What I never, not ever, did was to let an unjustified complaint pass to the people providing the service.

That way, I usually got two kinds of results out of what started as a complaint: I got the customer to either explain what was not up to expectations, or at least to understand that our people did a reasonably competent job. I also got our people to perceive the quality of their services from the point of view of the customers.

Well, that's what I sometimes got.