PDA

View Full Version : Annoying....Mac Rant...

betamax
January 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Sorry to rant but articles like this really annoy the hell out of me:

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9057738

The writer might as well say:
"mac users are superior to filthy scummy PC users, who are soulless, slack jawed peasants....."

Personally I've nothing against Mac, or most of their users. But this kind of thing makes me want to punch the next "creative" type I see walking on the street.....

ahhhh rant over......

fatality_uk
January 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Skimming through the article, doesn't seem that bad to me!
Would you get that bothered if people say "Fords are far superior to Nissans?"
I know some people have a very emotional attachement to thier PC's. But I mean cmon! Try and realise that diversity is part of life. After all, your a Linux user!!! ;)

betamax
January 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Ha, your probably right...think its a case of Friday morning stress and too much coffee.... :)

fatality_uk
January 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ha, your probably right...think its a case of Friday morning stress and too much coffee.... :)

:D Good. My online stress management course will start next week ;) Anyone attending late WILL GET A GOOD KCIKING!!! ;)

beniwtv
January 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
My Boss is a Mac enthusiast, so we use Macs at my workplace.

I generally don't have anything against Macs or Mac users, the only thing that annoys the hell out of me if they say:

'Hey, on a PC you can't do this or that or A PC gets easily infected by a virus'. [Insert random quote against PCs]

Hello!?!? PC != Windows!

:frown:

betamax
January 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Nobody will be shocked by the fact that my friday morning stress was caused by wonderful windows problems.....

that and the stupid users, stroppy boss and slooooow net connection at work.....

koleoptero
January 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
[Mac people] are more liberal, less modest and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large.

No the article does say what you think it says. I believe mac people are just people with less money issues. I can't afford a mac. Does that make me any less liberal or self assured?

And the PC = windows thing is annoying too.

Looks like I can afford to attack the author of the article. He seems to be one of those people who don't know that their knowledge is limited, but thinks he knows a lot. An idiot perhaps.

bufsabre666
January 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
me:
self assured... in somethings, i in no way know nearly everything
liberal... hardly
modest... not in the least

im not a mac user, i owned an ipod and ive used macs in school from kindergarden up, and everytime i wanted to break it and my ipod always gave me headaches.

now i do want to get a mac just so i can help friends with mac problems but that doesnt look like itll happen

and on a side note, didnt mac used to tote they were the first PC?

pc just means personal computer, macs are pcs, linux is pc, windows is pc

DeadSuperHero
January 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Perhaps this video would be appropriate:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H3q8_40GBuI

argie
January 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Relax, every group of people has claimed their superiority at some point of time or the other. The thing when it comes to products like the Mac is that these things are expensive [1] and so people feel this need to say that they made the right choice. It's not likely something he's carefully thought about, there was this article that made slashdot some time ago that claimed that such rationalising is an emotional response.

This is nothing to be offended about. You'll see people doing it all of the time, but people who've spent a lot of money are the ones most likely to do it, in my experience.

[1] I priced my HP Compaq vs. a Macbook and the Macbook was slightly more expensive but had slightly more (wireless n, for example, some other stuff). They're expensive, but they seem to reasonably priced for what they provide. I hope that makes sense :)

Bannor
January 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I think the article looks at specific data and draws the wrong conclusion.

more liberal, less modest and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large.
in other words people you avoid at the company christmas party.

Macs have always been popular with creative types
"creative types"= those who get confused when they are reading hardware specs.

thinks a lot about aesthetics, style-oriented people go for [Macs],"

Those who like nice shiny objects. Mac users also like buttons and sequins.

Berstein also noted that people who care more about brands are also more likely to purchase Macs
Tools driven into a frenzy by comercials on mtv etc.

bufsabre666
January 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I think the article looks at specific date and draw the wrong conclusion.

in other words people you avoid at the company christmas party.

"creative types"= those who get confused when they are reading hardware specs.

Those who like nice shiny objects. Mac users also like buttons and sequins.

Tools driven into a frenzy by comercials on mtv etc.

in the words of brother devon

OH MY BROTHA!!!!

TESTIFY!!!

Deach
January 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Perhaps this video would be appropriate:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H3q8_40GBuI

ok I don't care who you are.....That's funny :lolflag:

DeadSuperHero
January 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
ok I don't care who you are.....That's funny :lolflag:

Ah, but you SHOULD care! I'm a complete psycho.