PDA

View Full Version : Navigon....too good to be true

Kat of Zion
January 18th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I have fallen in love with my friend's Navigon GPS............

...........but it runs Windows CE

Why is it so hard to find a good GPS but that is Linux based? Do Linux users just not need a GPS?

popch
January 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Do Linux users just not need a GPS?

Linux users know where they stand.

(OT, sorry, I just couln't resist)

roaldz
January 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Or is it that linux users don´t go anywhere?:)

yota
January 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Well, the worlwide leader for car gps systems is linux based:

http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl

el_ricardo
January 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM
what difference does it make? its a gps system!

Kat of Zion
June 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
IT is a GPS so yeah, what is the difference? Well I do not want to deal with anything that runs on WindowsCE specifically. Many GPS devices that work with a Windows OS choose windowsCE specifically, which I find buggy. Its that simple.

Kat

:::
June 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
what difference does it make? its a gps system!

For example when your GPS system freezes a few minutes after resuming from standby mode (like mine does) ... reproducably :mad:

Okay - of course I don't know whether this is windows' fault or the device creator's fault ... But still: justified or not, this increases my anger towards windows.

In order to also add something productive to this thread: Nokia Internet Tablets are linux based and you can do navigation with them.

wootah
June 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
IT is a GPS so yeah, what is the difference? Well I do not want to deal with anything that runs on WindowsCE specifically. Many GPS devices that work with a Windows OS choose windowsCE specifically, which I find buggy. Its that simple.

Kat

Subtle form of boycotting? :)

madjr
June 14th, 2008, 01:52 AM
For example when your GPS system freezes a few minutes after resuming from standby mode (like mine does) ... reproducably :mad:

Okay - of course I don't know whether this is windows' fault or the device creator's fault ... But still: justified or not, this increases my anger towards windows.

In order to also add something productive to this thread: Nokia Internet Tablets are linux based and you can do navigation with them.

+1 for nokia internet tablets :)

Kat of Zion
June 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
How well do Nokia Internet tablets work if you need a gps for your car? I wish I could find a list of all gps brands and what internal OS they run on.

Oh, and I dont care to get into any sort of anti-windows argument. I dont hate windows. I just dont prefer it, especially something as buggy as windows CE, end of story.

bufsabre666
June 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
honestly im 18 and even i miss the good old days of the map, whats wrong with a map, hell if youre that lazy print out a google map before you go, it gives you directions, and that service is free, you just pay for the printer the ink and the paper which you prolly have anyways

kool_kat_os
June 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
but gps is cool8)...

awakatanka
June 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, the worlwide leader for car gps systems is linux based:

http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl

It maybe linux based but they don't even have software for linux to update it. You see it often a company that use linuxbase for there product but no linux app to update our control it.

Ozor Mox
June 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
honestly im 18 and even i miss the good old days of the map, whats wrong with a map, hell if youre that lazy print out a google map before you go, it gives you directions, and that service is free, you just pay for the printer the ink and the paper which you prolly have anyways

+1 I like my low-tech car with its manual windows, key locking/unlocking, single interior light and a digital clock as its most advanced electrics! No one will break in to my car to steal my printed Google Maps directions :)

kool_kat_os
June 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
+1 I like my low-tech car with its manual windows, key locking/unlocking, single interior light and a digital clock as its most advanced electrics! No one will break in to my car to steal my printed Google Maps directions :)

and less things can go bad..

axelsvag
July 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Navigon is the only one I have found which is working both in greece and macedonia FYROM (excuse me greek linux users). Those who think an old map is the ultimate invention maybe have not been travelling in africa, far east or russia. If you have tried it I think you will love a GPS navigator.

phmo
July 27th, 2009, 12:17 AM
PolNav 5.0 is 100% compatible with linux EeePC
http://www.polstargps.com/index.html

http://www.polstargps.com/Polstar_Navigation_Software_PolNav.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGSi1qmZiu4

För bra för att vara sant !!!:)

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Or is it that linux users don´t go anywhere?:)

ya lol they dont go anywhere.... nerds:D...geeks!:D lol
I think they dont go anywhere because the real world is not licensed under the GPL LoL

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Linux users know where they stand.

(OT, sorry, I just couln't resist)

+1

On topic: Garmin runs a linux-based system, I do believe.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Kat

ya and Linux isn't buggy? LoL

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM
ya and Linux isn't buggy? LoL

Buggy is what you make of it, my dear Windows-Killer. Enough hard work, focus, and polish can turn software into a true gem, especially when the source code is available under a permissive license (I myself like the BSD license, but really it depends on what you need for the job)

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Buggy is what you make of it, my dear Windows-Killer. Enough hard work, focus, and polish can turn software into a true gem, especially when the source code is available under a permissive license (I myself like the BSD license, but really it depends on what you need for the job)

I think those stupid licenses made the software so crappy.
Me personally I don't even care about licensing or if it costs, as long as it works. I am a very simple person and I use the computer as a tool. I think everyone should do the same thing, unless you are a developer. And yes I like the BSD license more than the crappy GPL.

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Maybe. My personal opinion is that the GPL can hold things back, one example is that it prevented the creation of a bridge between Joomla, and the SMF forum software.

Me personally I don't even care about licensing or if it costs, as long as it works.

Good, good. Nice to have a non-fundamentalist. A breath of fresh air.

I am a very simple person and I use the computer as a tool.
I use mine as a toy.

I think everyone should do the same thing, unless you are a developer
I want to be a developer. And why should everyone do what you're doing? Please, enlighten us with your clearly superior knowledge. I lack the ability to properly glean the sophisticated dialogue entirely delivered by yourself without more explanation. Let's delve into this problem in its entity.

voteforpedro36
July 27th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Me personally I don't even care about licensing or if it costs, as long as it works. I am a very simple person and I use the computer as a tool. I think everyone should do the same thing, unless you are a developer. And yes I like the BSD license more than the crappy GPL.

I looked at your sig and realized no one should take you seriously.

Redache
July 27th, 2009, 03:16 AM

Everybody deserves to be taken seriously at first.

I don't see why the GPL is construed as being evil. The fact is, Dev's have the choice as to what License they use, some choose the GPL. End of.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Maybe. My personal opinion is that the GPL can hold things back, one example is that it prevented the creation of a bridge between Joomla, and the SMF forum software.

Good, good. Nice to have a non-fundamentalist. A breath of fresh air.

I use mine as a toy.

I want to be a developer. And why should everyone do what you're doing? Please, enlighten us with your clearly superior knowledge. I lack the ability to properly glean the sophisticated dialogue entirely delivered by yourself without more explanation. Let's delve into this problem in its entity.

thats fine if you want to become a developer thats absolutely fine:D
I just hate it when open source fans make decisions for us (the regular computer users) these guys want everything to be open source and they prevent third party apps on ubuntu. in my opinion this does not make ubuntu/linux mainstream so am here to OPEN the minds of those who are dictators about open source and provide them with a choice. I want to have native software designed for ubuntu, I don't even mind paying for it, as long as it works and gets the job done. simple:popcorn:

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:18 AM

I wrote this because its true. The GPL fans lock you into an open source only software and they dont give you choice, thats why I hate the GPL.

Redache
July 27th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I just hate it when open source fans make decisions for us (the regular computer users) these guys want everything to be open source and they prevent third party apps on ubuntu. in my opinion this does not make ubuntu/linux mainstream so am here to OPEN the minds of those who are dictators about open source and provide them with a choice. I want to have native software designed for ubuntu, I don't even mind paying for it, as long as it works and gets the job done. simple:popcorn:

Wow, what. There is no barrier from the Open Source Community for 3rd Party Apps to work on Ubuntu or any Linux Distro. It's the choice of the companies that make the damn software.

Open Source Fans make decisions for you regarding software, just like the dev's of Commercial Software make decisions for you. There's no difference, it's all the same. At least with Open Source you have a voice.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Wow, what. There is no barrier from the Open Source Community for 3rd Party Apps to work on Ubuntu or any Linux Distro. It's the choice of the companies that make the damn software.

Open Source Fans make decisions for you regarding software, just like the dev's of Commercial Software make decisions for you. There's no difference, it's all the same. At least with Open Source you have a voice.

here a c/p from my other thread... kinda tired typing:D

I know third party software works on Linux, but its not welcomed by dictators such as open source fans!
I absolutely don't blame Linux/Ubuntu at all!!!
I blame the users, because they are all open source fans, or even better I should say they are all dictators they make bad choices for all of us without even giving us choices!!!
They only give choices to chose open source software and nothing else!

here is what I mean by dictatorship:

* Linux users rely only on open source software because it gives the DEVELOPER the freedom to modify the software. I am not a dev am just a pc user and I am expecting to have a open platform that accepts all kinds of licenses to be installed on on it (to be fair not by default installation). They also dislike/flame/judge the software that is provided by third party devs (closed sourced) they hate the software even if its free with some copyright restrictions. You know these guys have families that they need to feed.

* They force the closed source software developer to open source his code. the software dev stops developing software for Linux because he is afraid of its users.

* Being a dictator, your are not moving forward. Look at some countries governed by dictators, are they moving forward? No!, there is always war and poverty. This is a perfect example of Linux users being dictators, making bad choices for regular users and not helping ubuntu/Linux to become mainstream.

* I think Ubuntu is moving forward, but very slowly

voteforpedro36
July 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Everybody deserves to be taken seriously at first.

He was, but that lasted about 4 seconds.

Anyway, GPL is open-source. So your sig doesn't make any sense (how can it be closed source and open source?). Besides, nobody has to use it, you understand that right? It's commonly used for a reason, and that is that developers prefer it.

Also, licenses can't make software crappy as you said. You make software before you decide what license it should be licensed under, so how does that affect the software itself?

And third, stop referring to "Ubuntu" instead of "Linux". You act like Linux=Ubuntu. Don't be stupid, Ubuntu is just one of thousands (maybe more) of distros of Linux.

OH, and I just read your last post. All Linux users are dictators? You can install software no matter what license it's under if you want (as long as it's free and for Linux/runs under Wine). Linux is freedom, you can install closed source programs all you want, no one minds. No one really flames devs for trying to make money off of their software, other than free software fanboys. And you're just as bad hating the GPL as anyone else is hating a propriety license.

Either way, this is OT and I'll stop now.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:30 AM
to be honnest The GPL is perfect for devs.
some parts apply to the user but some/most users take it too seriously... and thats what bothers me. geez its just a written rule.

ps: rejecting third party apps for Linux, hurts the developer because this guy might need to feed his family from the money he made from software sold to Linux (if accepted by open source fans)

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:32 AM
He was, but that lasted about 4 seconds.

Anyway, GPL is open-source. So your sig doesn't make any sense (how can it be closed source and open source?). Besides, nobody has to use it, you understand that right? It's commonly used for a reason, and that is that developers prefer it.

Also, licenses can't make software crappy as you said. You make software before you decide what license it should be licensed under, so how does that affect the software itself?

And third, stop referring to "Ubuntu" instead of "Linux". You act like Linux=Ubuntu. Don't be stupid, Ubuntu is just one of thousands (maybe more) of distros of Linux.

Either way, this is OT and I'll stop now.

my sig says that open source fans are dictators read above.

Redache
July 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
* Linux users rely only on open source software because it gives the DEVELOPER the freedom to modify the software. I am not a dev am just a pc user and I am expecting to have a open platform that accepts all kinds of licenses to be installed on on it (to be fair not by default installation). They also dislike/flame/judge the software that is provided by third party devs (closed sourced) they hate the software even if its free with some copyright restrictions. You know these guys have families that they need to feed.

* They force the closed source software developer to open source his code. the software dev stops developing software for Linux because he is afraid of its users.

* Being a dictator, your are not moving forward. Look at some countries governed by dictators, are they moving forward? No!, there is always war and poverty. This is a perfect example of Linux users being dictators, making bad choices for regular users and not helping ubuntu/Linux to become mainstream.

* I think Ubuntu is moving forward, but very slowly

Users don't put a barrier up. There are Niche Distro's for Linux Users that want a free OS. Open Source software does not put a barrier to selling Software, in fact they encourage it. There is no reason why Open Source Software isn't sold, it's just down to the developers choice.

I think you need to read more on Open Source before making your insane claims about the Linux/Open Source Community.

to be honnest The GPL is perfect for devs.
some parts apply to the user but some/most users take it too seriously... and thats what bothers me. geez its just a written rule.

ps: rejecting third party apps for Linux, hurts the developer because this guy might need to feed his family from the money he made from software sold to Linux (if accepted by open source fans)

.... I...

The GPL is a legal license. it's not just a Written Rule, It has Legal meaning.

NOBODY rejects third party apps for Linux. NOBODY says to a company "Oh Please don't port your software.".

I can give you some examples of Close Sourced Software that have been ported to Linux: ATI + Nvidia Drivers, Flash, The Penumbra series of games, ID Software Games. They are just the examples I remember, I know that there is a hell of a lot more.

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
While what you say makes sense, actually there's a specific rule in the GPL that allows devs to commercially sell their software. That's why systems such as SuSE Enterprise are able to exist in a commercial setting.

But I hear you on the lack of non-foss software. Sometimes, proprietary software really has a leg up on what Free Software/Open Source has to offer.

Of course, the fragmentation between distros makes it hard for commercial vendors to support something like, oh say, Photoshop across all 22,000 linux distributions when their software is proprietary.

Actually, FreeBSD would be better suited to that. Every stable release, they maintain a 5 year binary/source compatiblity with existing FreeBSD software. So it makes for a seamless transition during incremental upgrades.

But yes, you make a good point.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Read here (http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26405/1090/) and here (http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-open-source-software-evangelist.html)
now, are you gonna take that guy seriously? I wouldint!
If you create something that is used by a large number of people then you should behave as a professional regardless of what you do!

voteforpedro36
July 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Read here (http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26405/1090/) and here (http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-open-source-software-evangelist.html)
now, are you gonna take that guy seriously? I wouldint!
If you create something that is used by a large number of people then you should behave as a professional regardless of what you do!

Sure, because he doesn't proclaim he hates a software license on a public forum on the internet.

Sorry, I know the internet is SRS BUSINESS. I forgot.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Users don't put a barrier up. There are Niche Distro's for Linux Users that want a free OS. Open Source software does not put a barrier to selling Software, in fact they encourage it. There is no reason why Open Source Software isn't sold, it's just down to the developers choice.

I think you need to read more on Open Source before making your insane claims about the Linux/Open Source Community.

.... I...

The GPL is a legal license. it's not just a Written Rule, It has Legal meaning.

NOBODY rejects third party apps for Linux. NOBODY says to a company "Oh Please don't port your software.".

I can give you some examples of Close Sourced Software that have been ported to Linux: ATI + Nvidia Drivers, Flash, The Penumbra series of games, ID Software Games. They are just the examples I remember, I know that there is a hell of a lot more.

it looks like you didnt understand me.
I meant users(open source fans) dont want third party apps on Linux, they either judge thier lisencing model and not their usability.
They go over many third party software development forums and they keep asking the dev to open source his software. This creates a bad impression for Linux/Ubuntu. thats why I make it a big deal. To be honest I don't hate the GPL am just forced to do so since open source fans make my computing experience horrible! Am not saying all these things to offend you guys, am just frustrated of how am being treated because of bad decisions made by the open source fans.
I hope you are understanding me. :D

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 04:01 AM
While what you say makes sense, actually there's a specific rule in the GPL that allows devs to commercially sell their software. That's why systems such as SuSE Enterprise are able to exist in a commercial setting.

But I hear you on the lack of non-foss software. Sometimes, proprietary software really has a leg up on what Free Software/Open Source has to offer.

Of course, the fragmentation between distros makes it hard for commercial vendors to support something like, oh say, Photoshop across all 22,000 linux distributions when their software is proprietary.

Actually, FreeBSD would be better suited to that. Every stable release, they maintain a 5 year binary/source compatiblity with existing FreeBSD software. So it makes for a seamless transition during incremental upgrades.

But yes, you make a good point.

if third party devs have problems choosing the right distro, then they should choice the most popular one. Thats very simple, they are doing it already with Windows. Its common sense to make software for the most popular choices e.g windows, Ubuntu (gnome) and Mac OSX how simple can it be? :D

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM
if third party devs have problems choosing the right distro, then they should choice the most popular one. Thats very simple, they are doing it already with Windows. Its common sense to make software for the most popular choices e.g windows, Ubuntu (gnome) and Mac OSX how simple can it be? :D

Surprisingly, it's a real pain. Ubuntu is not exactly the most popular distro. Not everyone likes Gnome, or Ubuntu. The fact that 22000 linux distros are not compatible with one another creates a real problem for getting ANYTHING done.

Also, many Ubuntu users try to opt-out for "Free Software" whenever they can, thus making things even more of a problem when it comes to porting proprietary software.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Surprisingly, it's a real pain. Ubuntu is not exactly the most popular distro. Not everyone likes Gnome, or Ubuntu. The fact that 22000 linux distros are not compatible with one another creates a real problem for getting ANYTHING done.

Also, many Ubuntu users try to opt-out for "Free Software" whenever they can, thus making things even more of a problem when it comes to porting proprietary software.

according to distrowatch, ubuntu is the most popular distro.
another good reason, Dell/hp/system 76 sell ubuntu pre-installed on their PCs/ netbooks.
according to other sites like desktoplinux, ubuntu is the most popular distro voted more than 30% in 2007 (imagine now). This applies to Gnome as well, KDE comes second in popularity.

Now this proves ubuntu with gnome as the most popular distro doesn't it?

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 04:19 AM

I forgot to mention this.
you are already telling me that having too many choices is a bad thing to have software created for. So why do we have so many distros, if it hurts Linux growth as a mature OS? I know it gives choice but looks at the results. Forking should not be allowed.:(

Mr. Picklesworth
July 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I just hate it when open source fans make decisions for us (the regular computer users) these guys want everything to be open source and they prevent third party apps on ubuntu.

No. No. They don't. The GPL license only prevents source code changes. One reason GNOME is popular is because its libraries that applications use are all licensed under LGPL or similar, so that software can link to them regardless of license.
Any software, closed or otherwise, can be distributed via deb repositories.

Also, 100% of Ubuntu is "third party" because there is technically no first party. The system is contributed to by a diverse group of friends and competitors alike.

Now, can you picture for a moment why this works?
...Hm, maybe because open source fans actually aren't so bad! Now, the free / libre software people are a bit nutty at times, but they generally get it as well. I think the crazy one here is you, windows-killer: You are so set in your world view that a glimpse at anything else is blinding you.
Hold on for a moment while your eyes adjust. Look (http://planetkde.org/) around (http://planet.gnome.org/). Explore (http://people.fedora.com/). You (http://planet.ubuntu.com/) will understand (http://launchpad.net).