PDA

View Full Version : I'm a first time linux programmer and I need help getting an IDE/allegro

jkreef
January 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know what a good c++ IDE is and how to get the allegro libraries working for it? I am working on a project in windows and I want to port it to linux, Thanks for any help you can offer.

LaRoza
January 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Does anyone know what a good c++ IDE is and how to get the allegro libraries working for it? I am working on a project in windows and I want to port it to linux, Thanks for any help you can offer.

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/index.html

The IDE question can only be answered by yourself, if you are new to programming in Linux see the sticky for it.

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Id recommend using Eclipse as a C++ IDE, however its all your personal preferences as LaRoze pointed out. I have used many Windows and Linux IDE's and have concluded the Eclipse is my favorite overall.

LaRoza
January 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Id recommend using Eclipse as a C++ IDE, however its all your personal preferences as LaRoze pointed out. I have used many Windows and Linux IDE's and have concluded the Eclipse is my favorite overall.

I haven't used any IDE's for any length of time, but I found Geany to be very nice. Not heavy, but with nice features. I only used it out of curiousity for a short while on Windows though.

jkreef
January 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the help! Eclipse is great but does anyone know how to get allegro working with it? I have read the readme that came with allegro and done some searching on the site but I cannot figure it out. Thanks!

vexorian
January 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I vote for geany.

You don't get libraries working with IDEs , that's the compiling process' job.

I've found liballegro4.2 and liballegro4.2-dev in the normal ubuntu repos, once you install the -dev package you can use #include to allegro and make gcc link to it. I think there's more help about compiling an allegro project with gcc in their home page, I for one barely have experience with SDL and wasn't that hard.

jkreef
January 19th, 2008, 02:08 AM
So in Linux all you have to do is put the include? Nothing else? If that's true yet another way that Ubuntu>windows,

LaRoza
January 19th, 2008, 02:36 AM
So in Linux all you have to do is put the include? Nothing else? If that's true yet another way that Ubuntu>windows,

If you have to link files, you have to link them. It depends on what you are doing.

I compile through the commend line, so I never had to configure an IDE for anything.

Acglaphotis
January 19th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Try vim too, it's very nice and you can uber-customize it to you.

vexorian
January 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM
If you have to link files, you have to link them. It depends on what you are doing.

I compile through the commend line, so I never had to configure an IDE for anything.

As a matter of fact , this whole linking thing can be really hard, so you should really get into some gcc documentation, and ( I recommend) Makefile tutorials and I am sure allegro has some instructions about this on their website as well.

jkreef
January 19th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I feel like an uber-newb but how would I compile through the command line with allegro?

slavik
January 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I feel like an uber-newb but how would I compile through the command line with allegro?
something along the lines of (the command is most likely wrong):

g++ -o myprogram -l allegro myallegrocode.cpp

Acglaphotis
January 19th, 2008, 02:04 PM
g++ myprogram.cpp -o myoutput

jkreef
January 20th, 2008, 05:52 AM
So all I need to do is g++ and then to where the .cpp file is?

slavik
January 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM
So all I need to do is g++ and then to where the .cpp file is?
that's the bare minimum :)

jkreef
January 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll get out of your hair now and start experimenting. Thanks again!