PDA

View Full Version : Dual Screen User, Lets chat!

blithen
January 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Anyone who has a dual screen monitor can share how they use them, (Twinview, separate x sessions, etc)
I recently found out how awesome they can be. I tried out Twinview but I didn't like it to much. So I have separate X sessions and usually have my terminal music player in fullscreen. Just so it can be out of my way on my main screen.

Anyone else have dual screens?

sloggerkhan
January 18th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I have an external monitor + laptop. It's not too convenient to change things around with my ATI card, so it's just a typical widescreen setup.

~LoKe
January 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I use twinview on matching monitors. Seems an awful waste to have a fullscreen music player. This is how I have it set up:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6161/00011ki6.jpg

blithen
January 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Mine aren't matching. I'm planning on getting a new matching one soon.
And I use it for more then that! Just most of the time it has my music playing.

bufsabre666
January 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM
mine go in order from left to right

17" crt 1280x1024
19"widescreen lcd 1440x900
17" crt 1152x864
tv 24" (not always on) 1024x768

i usually watch video on the lcd or the tv, the left crt is pretty much only for torrent program and over flow from the others, pidgin and normal workspace is the lcd, web browsing on the right crt and if the tvs on its fro video only cause i cant read anything on the screen if its in text

kostkon
January 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I use twinview on matching monitors. Seems an awful waste to have a fullscreen music player. This is how I have it set up:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6161/00011ki6.jpg

LoKe, that's a very nice and tidy setup you have there!

EDIT: ah, very sorry for being out of subject!

bufsabre666
January 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
LoKe, that's a very nice and tidy setup you have there!

EDIT: ah, very sorry for being out of subject!

you shouldnt be sorry its a fair comment, i think it is, my room looks like a bomb went off, but im comfertible with it

D-EJ915
January 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I use twinview, doesn't really make much of a difference for me since pretty much all I do on my left screen is have the web browser open. IM/music/other stuff goes on the right screen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/pho/th_view.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/pho/view.jpg)

Kinkybuu
January 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
im a fan of twin view myself, although ive been having several problems with Steam and the resolution settings. for some reason Counter Strike(along with other games) likes to do the wide mode and i cant change it to 4:3. kinda weak sauce but i can live with it lol.

Alp82
March 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM
im a fan of twin view myself, although ive been having several problems with Steam and the resolution settings. for some reason Counter Strike(along with other games) likes to do the wide mode and i cant change it to 4:3. kinda weak sauce but i can live with it lol.
I've the exact same problem and i'm using Twinview too.

Visti
March 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Man, I'd really like a setup like some of yours - What do you need in the graphics card department? Something specifically designed for it? I have a card with VGA/DVI and S-Video out - Would I just be able to connect a screen to each or something like that?

thisllub
March 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Left Screen 19" LCD
Centre 22" LCD
Right 21" CRT.

2 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 cards.
2 virtual desktops.

The 169.07 driver is very stable.

I use Twinview and Xinerama.

E17 Enlightenment is the best WM for multiple screens. I have had it set up so that each screen pages desktops independently.
I haven't been able to do this in Openbox but the stability is way better.

fedex1993
March 26th, 2008, 01:31 AM
well right now i am only using one montior with a resolution of 1650x1080 and i was wondering if i could seprate x sessons on my second monitor which is 1280x1024 is that possible?

Annomander
March 26th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I usually keep my chat/music on one screen and whatever I'm working on on the other.
I've got a laptop + 19".
I've got my wii hooked up through my computer, so when I play consoles, I use the secondary screen for that. Movies are nice too, so you can chat on one screen without interrupting the other.

klange
March 26th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Some times I hook my 22" up to my laptop, but it's usually just hooked up to my old desktop / server. I use both at the same time and so generally have a dual screen environment (and usually find myself using xhost to make applications from one machine run on the other...)

D-EJ915
March 26th, 2008, 07:47 PM
you could have a 2nd alternate xorg.conf which you would start from a virtual console (X -config configname) and would have a non-twinview/xinerama setup going, then you could have it run on just one of the screens.

now that I think of it...this might be more difficult than I originally thought because you would already have screens going...but I don't really feel like testing it out or not.

well I tried it out but the configuration I used didn't let me open anything on the 2nd screen but that's not a big deal since you didn't want that anyway, I ran it like this X -config xorg.conf2 :2 but it yelled at me for not being able to move the log file so I ran it as root...)