PDA

View Full Version : Open Source needs human teachers!

figure9
January 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM
My community college, library and park district offer computer classes. I would love to be able to take a class on how to use the gimp or terminal. But open source software isn't covered. I don't think this is because the institutions are deliberately snubbing open source. I think there just aren't many (or possibly any) qualified teachers. I wish the the Ubuntu community could train teachers who could train users. I can learn from manuals and tutorials but sometimes there is no substitute for a real live instructor. I realize this is just a pipe dream but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

~LoKe
January 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Open source software isn't all too different from closed source software. The techniques you'd learn in Photoshop would be comparable to those used in GIMP...

aysiu
January 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Try joining a local Linux Users Group (or LUG). I'm sure they'd be willing to teach you some stuff.

macogw
January 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
We've convinced the Cleveland Park Library in Washington, DC to let us (DC LoCo Team) setup a Linux lab (kinda surprising since their main room's computers were donated by Microsoft) and offer Open Source Software for Beginners classes there. My friend Kevin is there every Saturday afternoon. I should be teaching an intro to the GIMP sometime soon, too.

DeadSuperHero
January 18th, 2008, 03:04 AM
We've convinced the Cleveland Park Library in Washington, DC to let us (DC LoCo Team) setup a Linux lab (kinda surprising since their main room's computers were donated by Microsoft) and offer Open Source Software for Beginners classes there. My friend Kevin is there every Saturday afternoon. I should be teaching an intro to the GIMP sometime soon, too.

Seriously?! That's awesome! Go, you!
I dunno whether I'd be able to get that at my local library...my school library, maybe. Just have to bribe the IT Manager...hehe...

Casual Fan
January 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM

You should tape these and post online!

macogw
January 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Seriously?! That's awesome! Go, you!
I dunno whether I'd be able to get that at my local library...my school library, maybe. Just have to bribe the IT Manager...hehe...

It was actually one of the LoCo team members, Sanjay, that came up with the idea. He's just getting out of his beginner stage, so he figured he could teach the simplest stuff, but he wanted to get other team members involved. Kevin and I were at the first one, and there were 2 or 3 newbies there who got Ubuntu CDs and we showed them their way around GNOME a bit and that OpenOffice should look rather familiar to them if they've used MS Office, and stuff like that.